It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Apple iPad Conspiracy

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The apple not coming equipped with it's own camera or stand-alone USB port (no cables please) is just atrocious. Like others said, it's just a big iPhone.

Plus...no kickstand?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Originally posted by johnny2127
Imagine being able to hold the internet in your hands like a magazine, while the same device holds a few dozen movies, tv shows, applications, hundreds or thousands of pictures, and dozens of your favorite books. All on one device.

so, it's a really big version of the iphone, the droid, the pre, the storm etc.

and don't say no because you said

Better than the gen 1 iPhone, even though that was great too.

if you are saying it's better than the iphone, than you are putting them in the same category.

listen. I understand that it's really cool and fun and neat and all that but Apple labelled it as some innovative, game changing, life altering device and I have yet to hear anyone tell me how it does that.

To be honest, it's a big iphone, without the camera or the calling capabilities. Oh, wait, iphones have that dropped call issue. maybe they are even more similar than I thought.

You missed what I was saying buddy. I was saying that as a 1st gen device, it is better than the other devices were when they were 1st gen. In other words, there was more to complain about when the 1st gen iphone came out with, than when the 1st gen iPad came out. They had more 'right' with this 1st gen device for what they wanted to accomplish, than the 1st gen iPhone for what they wanted to accomplish. Get it?

Is one better than the other? Its like comparing a sports car to an SUV or a sedan. They are completely different. So media consumption, yes it is 100x better than an iPhone. For making phone calls, the iPhone is better obviously. Again, they are completely different devices.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sohan
The apple not coming equipped with it's own camera or stand-alone USB port (no cables please) is just atrocious. Like others said, it's just a big iPhone.

Another reason not to buy, all these companies are obsessed with wireless devices. Alot of us still prefer wired connections.

Also for those saying this is 1st gen, its not, there have been plenty of tablet ebook readers gens already.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Sohan

Another reason not to buy, all these companies are obsessed with wireless devices. Alot of us still prefer wired connections.

Also for those saying this is 1st gen, its not, there have been plenty of tablet ebook readers gens already.

Its not just an ebook reader buddy. And since when has Apple put USB ports on their portable devices? They don't. Hasn't hurt them. Again, this isn't meant to be just like a laptop people.

I swear you guys are the same people that when SUV's came out you said they would fail and no one would buy them because they are worse than a truck, and not as comfortable as a car. You guys just don't get it. Its a new product area people. Think outside your own preconceived notions. Think outside the box people.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

I am giving my view.

I will not be buying it, but all you others can why should i care.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You're defending this "new" device as if it would be a gods gift to men.
Apples products have always been a water divider.

The iPad is nothing more than a super expensive unecessary toy.
To me it IS a computer since it has a CPU inside and it handles same type of media as any other computer. The difference is that it does not run several programs in the background, you can not add accessories except Apples own products, you need to buy apps to get the programs that often are included in other OS. Everything points back to Apple trying to inprison the costumer in their world closing everything out. if other companies want to do apps or accessories they have to talk to the big chief first.
In the end we will have the same Monopoly crap we had from Microsoft.
Apple and Microsoft is the same crap imo. Apple tend to be a bit better of being crap though. NOTE: their device is NOT crap, iPhone is good, iTouch is good and iPad seems to be good, but they are far from perfect that most of the Apple fanboys announce they are all the time.
Apple products are good in terms of making the technology flourish and give others new ideas ( but since Apple will sue anyone who does something similar it might take a while it is not as good as it could be. )

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by V1g0r0u5
I can see this turning into a Mac vs PC debate...

Lets see hmmmmm it used to be a Mac was a Mac and a PC was a PC....... Then the Mac embraced the PC and got rid of Mac and replaced all bits with a PC..... Oh yeah the only difference these days is the look and the OS which is just a fancy Linux with a neat front end. Oh Mac runs their PC hdd at 50c. For my liking that is way too hot.

Debate..... I think not the PC won...... all we are talking about really is an OS.

I rather use a real cool computer like the one as my avatar, Kooled by liquid!

Let the non debate continue....

When the PC started to be affordable for the business world some 25.5 years ago there was a new system with Hdd which was tons more expensive than double floppy drives. When questioned why I spent the extra money I said I was clever enough to run a computer but not clever enough to run a computer on two floppies with all the disk changing.

Today I say I am not clever enough to have a "computer" that cannot do multi-tasking. There are so many things the iPad cannot do for the price I am amazed there are so many supporters in this thread!!!! I need functionality when I use a computer..... How else can I write and have my Webster's Talking Dictionary / thesaurus running at the same time as my word processor that I have used since 1996. Websters does not help my lack of grammar however.....

I read somewhere that the largest insurance fraud among cell phone users was from the Iphone when a newer version is released. I predict that the largest portable computer fraud will be from the iPad group when newer released iPad that add features that are found to be needed. For example everything, now for the insurance justifications.... I left it on the train, in the taxi and even more funny it was stolen......

Oh yes SnF to the OP. I do feel most Apple products are overpriced!!!!!
edited to add above 1 line.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by IceHappy]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akezzon

You're defending this "new" device as if it would be a gods gift to men.
Apples products have always been a water divider.

The iPad is nothing more than a super expensive unecessary toy.
To me it IS a computer since it has a CPU inside and it handles same type of media as any other computer. The difference is that it does not run several programs in the background, you can not add accessories except Apples own products, you need to buy apps to get the programs that often are included in other OS. Everything points back to Apple trying to inprison the costumer in their world closing everything out. if other companies want to do apps or accessories they have to talk to the big chief first.
In the end we will have the same Monopoly crap we had from Microsoft.
Apple and Microsoft is the same crap imo. Apple tend to be a bit better of being crap though. NOTE: their device is NOT crap, iPhone is good, iTouch is good and iPad seems to be good, but they are far from perfect that most of the Apple fanboys announce they are all the time.
Apple products are good in terms of making the technology flourish and give others new ideas ( but since Apple will sue anyone who does something similar it might take a while it is not as good as it could be. )

Oh I in no way think the iPad is God's gift to men. It an amazing product for people that want to consume media and information in a portable format with a good sized screen. It has certain business uses, but the vast majority of people won't use it for that. But the reason I am defending it like I am is because of the notions and lies people are saying, and how closed minded people are being. All on a conspiracy site where people usually are more open minded. But people really do need to play with one of these to appreciate them.

By the way, Apple's approach to apps is a good thing my friend. It has made it so the little guy can compete with the big boys. Most of the huge app sellers are not made by huge companies. They are individuals and start ups. Thats a good thing. It opened a marketplace and distribution channel where the little guys can compete evenly with the big boys. And it allows people to personalize and building their device for what they want to do with it. Not like with a PC or laptop thats preloaded with a bunch of junk no one wants.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You seem like an apple fanboy, lol.
only joking before this turns into flame wars.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

You seem like an apple fanboy, lol.
only joking before this turns into flame wars.

Well describe what you mean by that and I'll let you know if its the case or not.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

By the way, Apple's approach to apps is a good thing my friend. It has made it so the little guy can compete with the big boys. Most of the huge app sellers are not made by huge companies. They are individuals and start ups. Thats a good thing. It opened a marketplace and distribution channel where the little guys can compete evenly with the big boys. And it allows people to personalize and building their device for what they want to do with it. Not like with a PC or laptop thats preloaded with a bunch of junk no one wants.

Well I wasn't only refering to the apps.
Apples craving of controlling everything in such way as they do is just toooo much. I can't see how it will help the little guy as you say.
I think it is the otherway around.
My phone for example. HTC HD2, has a Windows Mobile running in the background. it also has a Windows Application market. But those applications sucks really bad. However, if I go onto the net and go to...uhmm www.xda-developer.com for instance I can find ALOT of applications that are made by ordinary civilians ( note: NO WAREZ ) and have higher quality than microsofts own apps. They are free, fully functioning. You also find new upgrades there also made by civilians as well, often better than the phone companies own upgrades. This is the open way I like. Android has the same openess. But Apple don't want to let anyway else in unless they pay. And I can't see how their way is more innovative than Google or Microsoft.
Sure, you can jailbreak the devices, but if that was a good thing to do, Apple would have added instructions of how to do that in their instructionbooklet.

If Apple would be more open, add Flash, USB, more memory, Camera, Microphone I might concider to get a iPad myself, cause I am impressed by the GUI. But that is also all I am impressed with. I am not willing to pay that much money for a few animations, and I rather not support Apples ways either. So I wait for other brand to come first.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Im glad the OP pointed out these interesting points.
Ive heard about the iPad and wondered, 'What's the big deal with it?'
It's clearly not revolutionary so why is the media singing it such high praise?

I won't be buying one anyway

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lafcadio
People that buy macs and apple products do it for the "lifestyle". They think it's cool.

One of the reports I saw was where they interviewed some dude who was raving about it.

His favorite feature about it and why he waited forever in line and payed $500 for it was ........ He could read a recipe on it in his kitchen and cook ALL at the same time!!!! And then the fox reporter talked about how wonderful that would be to do.

PC Forever!!!

holy #$^%!!!
that is amazing!

wait..
i do that with a laptop all the time...
all while the laptop is doing other things at the same time! whoah!!

Linux PC forever.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here is article that I read today for some of the possible applications.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I would rather have a laptop.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Who cares who makes it...

1) It is a widget and apple employs people in the US to design it. GOOD

2) It is a vehicle to sell apps and their designers work in the US. GOOD

3) It is a vehicle to sell books and their writers work in the US. GOOD

4) It is a vehicle to sell papers with add space etc. Again US jobs GOOD

5) It is both promoting ATT who spent tons on infrastructure for smart phones AND it is allowing it to work with every carrier. GOOD

6) Geeks who know what they're doing won't need phones anymore. MAYBE GOOD. MAYBE TROUBLE... we'll see.

7) They are small, recyclable, nontoxic, do everything and students can afford them GOOD

8) Apple stores, that sell these, employ people and give free work shops to help people create more jobs every day. GOOD

Enjoy your PCs and phones... AND applaud all US people that are creative and creating jobs and are thinking green to boot...

Why would we squash this no matter who makes it?

We need more of this, everywhere...

We really do.

[edit on 4/5/2010 by trusername]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

Yep everything is a pc these days. People you have to remember you can build your own mac now, its called a hackintosh.

Macs are just pc's today.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Apple can do what it likes, it is not run by Bill Gates, they have their own products and styles to things, I really do not see why it is seen as a bad thing unless it tells you to put a microchip under your skin then maybe people might freakout but for now it is just another startrek devise it is a digital book at best.

Please tell what I am missing, not goig to read 12 pages of this thread to find out.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

You're missing the dozen or so faults with the IPAD and why a higher spec laptop would be a better investment.

Not missing much.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by The time lord

You're missing the dozen or so faults with the IPAD and why a higher spec laptop would be a better investment.

Not missing much.

Then don't buy one. What I don't understand about all this is the Microsoft groupthink mentality in trying to convince others not to buy one through the denigration of the iPad.

Holy cow.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Otto Von Bismarck

I was just summarising the thread so far..

There's no Microsoft group think here my friend.

I was merely stating that the better option would be a laptop.... unless you like to look "Cool" as opposed to having practical and useful tech.

The only group think i see is from the Apple whores...

And I wont be buying one, no worries there.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join