It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Apple iPad Conspiracy

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I wont be getting an iPad, I already have an "iPad Nano" - The iPhone

Seriously the ipad is just a big iphone/ipod touch. Runs the same OS, same apps (some are tweaked for bigger screen). In fact I would not be surprised if once the 3G version comes out, you can jailbreak it and install the dialer app and make phone calls with it.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
How lame are pc users. i enjoy new products and yes i am one of the many people that have said "if only my iphone was bigger, that would be great!"

would i prefer this over netbook...of course i would for the fact that not only is it sleek looking but its pretty decent for gaming. its no xbox 360 but its got a pretty awesome interface for games. most pc users always whine and complain that rts games belong on a pc but surprisingly, i enjoy sitting on my couch playing halo wars or supreme commander 2 on a 50" hdtv. but i believe next generation rts games or other innovative ideas will belong on the touch screen interface. but enough about gaming.

i don't know what it is but pc's are cheaply built( even the expensive ones). most personal computers that i bought in the last 10 years break down quite quickly( 2 to 3 years) but i usually had a killer graphic card in it overdrived to the max. my imac lasted me 5 years without any maintenance. thats why i went back to mac.

yeah...i course i am disappointed in the ipads hard drive space 16, 32, 64 gigs. the iphone can hold that much. you pc nerds have to get off your clouds and stop dissing things you have not tried yet. i know the ipad is not cheap but i don't care about the price because as long as i get enjoyment out of it....isn't that all that matters.

like i said and i am sure i am not the only one that said that they wished their iphones were bigger. i'm sure once i get my hands on one of those iphones it will bring a big smile to my face. keep complaining because it will not change anyones mind about picking one of these beauties up.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by bootsy28]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
the reality people is that iPad is an e-Book reader ... I would buy for certain if I had enough digital books and if the price was competitive

a lot of people will buy because it will be easier then to carry books .... but for the rest of us, is useless ... because, its an e-book reader ... not the best web experience

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

great post, thanks, you at least tried to read my post instead of going to an apple x pc war, that wasnt my intention

thanks, first

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I grew up with both Macs and Pcs. Love both for different reasons (mac for professional work environment and video/image editing standards), PCs for sheer pleasure, cross platforming, ease of use and tinkering, and compatibility and versatility.

But to me the IPad is a sham plain and simple. Doesn't outdo an ITouch or a notebook (or even a Netbook) for anything at any time. Waste of cash completely.

Thanks OP for this insightful and interesting post!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

while it is an ereader, I'm not sure if it stacks up against the kindle or the nook (or other ereaders) as a pure ereader. yes, I know, the screen is color and it's cooler looking and you can spin pictures around in the interactive ebooks but, for the purpose of reading, which is what most adults want an ereader for, it is too heavy, the color screen can be tough on the eyes for long stretches and it isn't ideal for outdoor viewing.

I did see a review of the screen itself and they said that it performed far better in the sun than expected but you need to change the brightness to compensate for the glare.

I've yet to read one review or hear from one owner who can tell me how this product is revolutionary. Leading up to the launch, all you heard was how it was a game changing device.

I don't see what game it changed. Technology was going smaller, the internet was moving further into the user generated world and this product reverses both of those trends.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
the thing is that, I think this e-book idea is really interesting

the problem is

1- price
2 - centralization of the content (apple store)
3 - centralization of the format that these app work
4 - price
5 - price
6 - price
7 - centralization of the internet

we know that Asus and Google will release a product soon, so, maybe its going to be much better, simply because they wont use the Apple product standard of centralization (apple operational system), instead, something more free software;

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
GREAT ARTICLE

www.boingboing.net...

Wal-Martization of the software channel
Journalism is looking for a daddy figure

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
I might not be a problem to you. Until Apple gives the option of flat rate iTunes accounts I can't see this happening.
Isn't that what netflix is?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damian-007
How are you going to put your Media on that iPad?

You only have a couple of "Not So Good" options.

WiFi, Media Card or 3G. Is there any other way you can do it?
Um, the Dock connector? The same way you've gotten media onto iPods for the last 8+ years? (and now you've got WiFi & 3G in addition to that, but connecting a cable to your main machine is still the best way to transfer music & movies en masse.)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scarcer
Also itunes refuses to sync mp3's I've bought from amazon.com (since amazon is cheaper.)
Um, no it doesn't. Amazon's MP3s are DRM-free and sync to iPods, iPhones & iPads just fine, like any other MP3 you'd rip from a CD or download off the web. I've bought dozens of MP3s from Amazon and listen to them on my iPod regularly.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
while it is an ereader, I'm not sure if it stacks up against the kindle or the nook (or other ereaders) as a pure ereader.

I've used both Kindles, and the iPad is somewhat better. The text has a clarity that is different than the crispness the Kindle is attempting to achieve. And since there's no buttons, the iPad has a more natural feel... swipe the page to continue.

I've yet to read one review or hear from one owner who can tell me how this product is revolutionary. Leading up to the launch, all you heard was how it was a game changing device.

It's the product we dreamed about on the CompuServe Interactive TV forum back in 1993 -- quite literally.

It's a "toaster" for the digital content world... a drop-dead easy-to-use device for getting and using digital content.

For the web: It's hard to fathom (until you've done it) how very-different it is read a website on something book-sized that you hold in your hands in a relaxed position you'd use for reading a book. "Something" changes, it's hard to describe. (I used to read voraciously, so maybe it's just me, dunno.)

Magazines: The Time Magazine app is very good for a first go at a iPad magazine. If this is the evolution of magazine content, there is some hope that might justify the hype the publishers are pushing. There are still some bugs, but overall, it's a better delivery system for the digital-minded people than ink on paper.

It's a strong "evolutionary" product with significant potential to change the game. "Revolutionary," as applied to the iPad is a big nebulous since there's not one item you can point to (except maybe multi-touch on a larger screen) that is revolutionary -- it's a culmination of evolutionary steps.

My biggest disappointment/surprise was the need to plug into iTunes to get it started. Unless I missed something somewhere, if you don't have a computer with iTunes, you can't start using the iPad. Once you've initialized everything, it can buy content from the iTunes store all on it's own just fine... which is odd that you're required to initialize via iTunes.

(This was typed sitting outside on my iPad)

[edit on 5-4-2010 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by smirnoffsky

Here's the entire Top Ten.

reply to post by JoshNorton

Netflix and iTunes are two separate things.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
Netflix and iTunes are two separate things.
Indeed they are, but if you have a Netflix account you can download the free Netflix app and watch all the movies you want on your iPad for the same monthly subscription fee you've been using to get physical DVDs in the mail.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Two more reasons I will absolutely be buying one: (musicians, take note)

One.

Two.

Yeah, it's just a glorified e-book.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This has been the most entertaining thread I've read in quite some time, and one thing is very, very clear to me regarding this whole thing:

For people who pride themselves on thinking "outside the box" and questioning authority, the vast majority of posters have fully bought into Microsoft/x86 thinking.

Hilarious, yet sad at the same time.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Microsoft Courier ... microsoft answer in the near future

Its completely different from the iPad concept, this I actually think it will be very useful for most people ...

about ipad

as I said before, if you read a lot, ipad will be amazing if you buy your books thought e-books

I would like to know how is pdf and presentation on the ipad ... there are a lot of people here that bought right?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Yes that's awesome, you lucky americans. But remember, the iPad is a vending machine for the iTunes/AppStore. What Steve Jobs says goes, he's a dictator and can remove the Netflix app from the AppStore in 5 mins.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Otto Von Bismarck
This has been the most entertaining thread I've read in quite some time, and one thing is very, very clear to me regarding this whole thing:

For people who pride themselves on thinking "outside the box" and questioning authority, the vast majority of posters have fully bought into Microsoft/x86 thinking.

Hilarious, yet sad at the same time.

lol, can you explain better your point of view ?

if some people are against the iPad, that would mean that they support freedom, since they want free content, free ideas, free software, open source ideas, instead of a centralized standard by Apple ...

can you elaborate in your arguments? its not like everyone here is defending windows, people are just defending the decentralization of the information, and the movement by Apple and some mainstream media of trying to centralize everything

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join