It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all "geniuses" serverly paranoid?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Sorry if the spelling or grammar sucks...I just came out of a meditative state, and so my writing skills are a little stupid.

Okay I have been pondering this for a while now...Why most geniuses are said to have, "mental disorders".

I think it's safe to assume that being crazy and being stupid are two different things. Being crazy means you have lost your ability to communicate with people, you used to be able to process information "normally"...but at some point you just lost a way to communicate to other people.
And being stupid means you never could communicate with anybody effectively, nothing you said made sense to the "normal" person.

Now if someone is paranoid, it just means that they are taking what they are told:
Example: Your friend says, "You look nice today" ... you smile and it makes you happy.

But if your paranoid and your friend says: "You look nice today"...you will think that they are mocking you, and feel negatively.

So you went from believing in something that was originally positive, and turned it into a negative thing. You understood both meanings behind the sentence.

But say that person realizes that they are just being paranoid. Then that is two pieces of contradicting knowledge right there....in a sense, you understand more about that sentence.

Because knowledge is just taking in both sides of an argument, and coming to a conclusion on what is right and wrong about it.

So this means that if a genius is swayed easily by one side of an argument...then they wouldn't have to go find more information about it. But instead, reaching a conclusion on both sides.

So in theory: The more you ask "Why", the smarter you get. The problem is, you have to draw a line somewhere. Because of you just keep thinking about one thing too long...then you will forget about everything else. And when you forget about everything else, you lose touch with everybody, you lose how to communicate with others, and therefore you could be the smartest person in the world, but because you don't know how to relay information...it's gonna sound like your simple-minded.

It's why the ancients seem like they were years ahead of our ways of thinking. It's because the contemplated things more, and they gave complex thought to one problem, before considering another.

Hopefully this makes sense...but I find lately that the more I think about things...the crazier I feel. And in a sense, I am getting crazier. But it's only crazy if I relay my INCOMPLETE(my unconcluded) thoughts to another person.

But if I can use this knowledge for my own benefit (such as creating music)...then I will be one of the greatest musicians of all time.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Nostradumbass]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I do not believe all geniuses are paranoid. If you have a high IQ, you may take into consideration several points of views. For instance if someone says "you look nice today" you'll understand that to be a compliment on the surface. However if you analyze the different reasons for giving you a compliment, you could think why are they being nice today? What are they up to? Are they just returning a compliment for something I did or do they want something from me? Are they horny and want something from me physically? A lot of thoughts go through everyone's heads all the time but most aren't aware of too many of them. I would not say all of this is paranoia but simply analyzing different points of view.

Here's a tidbit to be a better communicator. Let the other person do a lot of the talking if they want to. They'll think you're a good listener.

I never heard that most geniuses have mental disorders. I believe that is a myth. It's possible they can occasionally be misunderstood.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

It's why the ancients seem like they were years ahead of our ways of thinking. It's because the contemplated things more, and they gave complex thought to one problem, before considering another.

Could you give a couple of examples of the above?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

sorry thought it was funny....

[edit on 3-4-2010 by jumpingbeanz]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
hah i was talking to a friend about this yesterday!

I am a genius in my own respect. 150+ IQ, no common sense, and very anxious and have a LOT OF nervous energy.

I tend to look at things with a 360 degree POV. yes, it does make one seem paranoid, or crazy or have a mental disorder.

but as i say... were all human, we have our flaws, but those flaws make us or break us.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Please see the quote in my signature.

Genius and crazy has a very fine line...because basically if you are a genius or a crazy person...you are thinking of things that no one has ever thought of before. The difference between them is that the genius can prove those things he thinks of are true...and a crazy person can not.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Could you give a couple of examples of the above?

Thanks in advance.

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing. "
"Be as you wish to seem. "
-Socrates

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
-Einstein

I could go on forever, but the point is
Almost every quote from every genius, is a contradicting statement.

Like if I came up to you and said, "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"...you would assume I was either intelligent from that statement, because it's true.
But if you think that I truly know nothing, you would assume that statement was false.

But because Socrates said it...it was very credible.
It's all first grade logic...simplistic, yet many hours went into reaching that conclusion

Every prophet in the world, Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce...all their predictions were very vague. They didn't have specifics, because the specifics are left for us to wonder.

Edgar Cayce often gave readings that helped a person overcome a great tragedy or obstacle. But if he gave us the same information that he gave a grieving family...it wouldn't work for us, because we weren't going through that traumatic situation.

It's a sentence with endless points of views. Just like everything in the universe, you could argue on one point all day...and at the end of the day, the true statement will just be the one with the most supporters

All these did people was weigh, heavily, the information of one subject. And then in the end, they realize it is all contradictory. Because they bounce around so much...it would be hard for them to reach conclusions about people, and themselves.

Perhaps these people aren't so much reading the future, as they are adding up things in their head. Much like Einstein weighed numbers, prophets and such just weigh the situation of something...and come to a logical result.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Nostradumbass]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If you say "You look nice today," you are obviously implying that the person do not look nice usually, perhaps not out of conscious will but still doing it on an unconscious level.

The appropriate comment would have been "You always look so nice"

Then there would have been no problem. It is not a problem of your friend being paranoid, it is you who are not acknowledging your own behavior.

Smart people can see through your soul, that's why geniuses are crazy.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Genius paranoid it matters not. The solution you seek is obvious by your last statement, you want to use the knowledge for music. Wrong tool set. Music inspiration doesn't really work too well based on the technical mindset for notation or the analytical basis of performance. Intellectual genius doesn't necessarily cook, but it's a great tool set to help you find "the zone" in your creative endeavors. Sounds like you've got a little too much background noise in your brain to let the music come to you instead of trying to dig it out. Just my 2c.

gj

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by townio
If you say "You look nice today," you are obviously implying that the person do not look nice usually, perhaps not out of conscious will but still doing it on an unconscious level.

The appropriate comment would have been "You always look so nice"

Then there would have been no problem. It is not a problem of your friend being paranoid, it is you who are not acknowledging your own behavior.

Smart people can see through your soul, that's why geniuses are crazy.

Well even you come with that statement, like the guy said about, you might just assume that they want something from you, and then think of a reason they do. And when you ask them about it, they will deny it. And if they deny it, you could assume they are lying.

It's like digging for an absolute truth.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

Here are a few factors you might want to take into consideration:

I hope I don't sound too opinionated with this; I'm not getting into the theory of it.

One important mechanism which creates that "crazy" feeling is when you get a bit stuck into, or over-involved in, your own thoughts (or pictures, if you experience your thoughts as pictures). The remedy is to go out and find out what other people have to say for a while, or just take a walk outside and look at things.

The above mechanism is used by criminal types to cave in more able people. They will say something or ask you something on purpose to make you self-conscious of worried. Criminal personalities specialize in trying to pull down people who demonstrate a lot of ability, liveliness, or creativity, as these sorts of people are seen by the criminal as particularly threatening.

They'll even try to start these weird ideas about how "you have to be crazy to be creative." That's just a lot of crap.

To avoid those criminal pressures it is important to keep your own life in balance. Don't spend all your time trying to figure out things for yourself. Spend some time with others who are truly supportive of what you're trying to accomplish. Go out and look at things. You can learn from these actions, and they will give you some time "out of your head" so to speak.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

Not sure about the paranoia, however I do note that every single exceptionally smart person I know, does not have one lick of common sense. And to the contrary of paranoia, they all have a false sense of security, allowing themselves to be taken advantage of.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
People with high IQ seem to have an increased chance of being disturbed in some way - or incapable of having enough children (or any) to continue what they are.

The intelligent are experimental models. With the most common affliction of the experiment being ridding the model of too many social connections to allow them to live or function or assure continuance.

The social components seem to the components linked with an increased inability to access the natural mathematical functions in the brain.

The socially capable is a different type of intelligence. When it comes in a package with other intelligence types, AND it can breed....well you got a winner.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Genius paranoid it matters not. The solution you seek is obvious by your last statement, you want to use the knowledge for music. Wrong tool set. Music inspiration doesn't really work too well based on the technical mindset for notation or the analytical basis of performance. Intellectual genius doesn't necessarily cook, but it's a great tool set to help you find "the zone" in your creative endeavors. Sounds like you've got a little too much background noise in your brain to let the music come to you instead of trying to dig it out. Just my 2c.

gj

But I can use it for writing creative books, and writing clever lyrics.

Changing pitches and natural instrument and vocal talent come natural to me. It's just a matter of bringing it all together...and geniuses know how to bring the elements of:

Beat
Lyrical Sense
Relation to Others
Progression(my only weak trait)
and Execution

So it all ties together...there is a reason that Issac Newton was a father of so many subjects. And perhaps I have great knowledge of writing , analytical reasoning, and patters in music...Which would make me a good author, musician, psychologist, producer, or philosopher.

Instead of an engineer, motivational speaker, and etc..

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The gifted seem to suffer from certain brain abnormalities like a high functioning right temporal parietal junction, or temporal lobe epilepsy. This may cause the individual to experience much more than the average person. It's my opinion that either the individual will learn to cope with this gift/curse by shutting himself off from the world and "recharging", or by learning to analyze much faster and more in depth than most through necessity, or he will be driven crazy. I think the paranoia from some of the gifted may be a result of sensory overload.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
First, it depends on your definition of genius.

I don't consider myself a genius, although some people call me one lol - but I am a theoretical physics major, speak 6 different languages, am an artist, a poet, etc. People do say I am paranoid... Although I just think I am suspicious and discerning...

I am in the process of writing and putting together some books, one of which is going to be on some of the greatest thinkers of all times who has had some kind of mental illness. In my opinion however, not all of them are paranoid.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
having a high IQ simply means having a faster processor.

Even a fool will eventually go through the same thinking process as a genius if focus is kept...whereas a genius may mentally go through all the questions and introspections within a few minutes pondering, the same thoughts and processes may take a fool several years to achieve the same result.

Are all geniuses insane?

I think the better question would be..how long does it take a genius to find out everyone is insane.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
NO! but most severely parnoid people are also convinced
They are geniuses.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
No, not all genii are paranoid. Matter of fact, most aren't. The ones that are, are the ones who don't grasp and adapt to the social structure of the world. Many of the rest of us bide our time as passengers.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I beg to differ. I've met plenty of people who process incredibly fast that are quite dumb. Without skills like focus, persistence, and proper discernment there is no high intelligence regardless of processing speed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join