It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal filings in your cereal.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
www.straightdope.com...

Do "iron fortified" cereals really contain iron filings?
November 16, 1990

Dear Cecil:

I saw a chemist's demonstration where a bowl of Total cereal was soaked in hot water (to dissolve the cereal). Then a white magnet was placed in the solution. Upon removal, the magnet was covered with tiny specks of metal, apparently iron.

A white magnet placed into a packet of "iron fortified" instant oatmeal and shaken around will also come out covered with tiny iron filings. Are these filings actually nutritious, or is this some terrible joke so these products can claim to be "iron fortified"?

— William B. Stockton, Washington, DC

Cecil replies:

Let's think about this, William. The stuff says "iron fortified." Experiments show it IS iron fortified. You figure this is some kind of deceitful practice? Like maybe it should say, "iron fortified and WE MEAN IT"?

Get with the program. Different iron compounds are used in different products and the particles may be different sizes, all of which affects how "biologically available" the stuff is. But yes, when a product says "iron fortified," that often means they put iron filings into it.

Let me add that the filings are tiny, on the order of a few dozen microns in diameter. The particles can range from straight powdered iron ("reduced iron") to compounds such as ferrous sulfate and ferric phosphate.

The stuff is "harmless and assimilable," it says here, and your body definitely needs it. Iron deficiency is common in the U.S. At one time the Food and Drug Administration even considered asking that higher levels of iron be added to more foods. (The plan died because of fears that more iron might trigger certain rare diseases.)

So eat, William. It's good for you. Just don't try walking through a metal detector afterward. For more information on iron and other food additives, read The Complete Eater's Digest and Nutrition Scoreboard by Michael Jacobson (1985).

— Cecil Adams

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

If I understand correctly, it IS pulverized. However, once you collect it with a magnet, it'll become magnetized, and the microscopic bits will stick together, forming chains that look essentially no different from actual filings. if he were to rub those filings with his finger, he'd end up with a very fine, gritty powder.

Considering how many spiders we eat while we sleep, how much dirt we inhale on a daily basis, and how much inorganic crunchies we get even with 100% unprocessed raw organic food, this isn't something I would worry about too much. You have to eat iron by the brick before it really starts messing with you. otherwise it's like calcium - the body takes what it needs and excretes the leftovers.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
Oh man. We did this as an experiment in my Freshman year Biochem class. Supposedly the iron "filings" are small enough that our Stomach can dissolve them without any harm.

I can accept that. And I believe it to be mostly harmless, but what about damage to your teeth?
Yes, it's practically molecularized but still, it must damage the enamel to some extent.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Iron is really good for the body.

Iron is the essential requirement of a Human body. It is a part of many proteins and enzymes that help in efficient functioning of human body. The most important protein of all is Haemoglobin which is responsible for movement of oxygen around the body. It also controls cell division and growth. Thus Human body required iron for efficient functioning.

en.wikipedia.org...

I hate quoting wiki but it is right. Have you ever tasted or smelt blood, sorta coppery right?

They put it in your cereal so that your body can get the right amount of nutrients it requires. Plus it is only in your cereal because to much can be very dangerous. Mostly know as a type of heavy metal toxicity.

Keep eating your cereal. Its healthy.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I used to work for shedded wheat here in the uk, we never added iron into it per say, but the process we used to comb the wheat meant the wear on the iron combs would indeed fall into the wheat albeit a few microns at a time.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I did this test out of curiousity and boredom. It actually produced a good amount of iron filings. I was shocked, I never thought that 'iron fortified' actually meant that there was real metal in my corn flakes.

However, I suppose it isn't dangerous, it would pass through your body, it is small enough to. There is a man who has eaten an airplane and TV's and a bunch of other metal objects without dying, his name is Michel Lotito, and I have heard of people craving the tast of metals.

I do wonder if this is always the form it takes when put into food products though....

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

It has been discovered in the medical field that MS is caused by too much iron in the blood breaching the blood brain barrier and breaking down nuero-transmitters that work with the brain along the muscle function lines. The receptors don't get the proper information and this causes the tweeks or twitches in the muslces, miscommunications.

I have several friends with MS, not pretty to watch as they suffer.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by muzzleflash

"Considering how many spiders we eat while we sleep,"

Eating spiders in your sleep! Urban myth dude.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I have heard of this before and was told as each year passes stuff like this is happening in all our foodstuff. I have noticed that after eating many processed foods I get a metalic (iron/copper) aftertaste.

Now add to this the modified seeds governments are mandating farmers use vs the natural unmodified seeds, chemtrails, floride in our water, the list goes on and expands every year.

All I have to go on is I grew up on a farm in Missouri. We had cows, sheep, chickens, turkeys, peacocks, veggies and fruit trees.

The food I grew up on taste nothing like what you get in any of the supermarkets today.

Now the question you all should be asking is why is this happening and by who?

No, it's just not by accident, it's by design and a real conspiracy against all of us.

An illusion it will be, so large, so vast it will escape their perception. Those who will see it will be thought of as insane.

We will create separate fronts to prevent them from seeing the connection between us.

We will behave as if we are not connected to keep the illusion alive. Our goal will be accomplished one drop at a time so as to never bring suspicion upon ourselves. This will also prevent them from seeing the changes as they occur.

We will always stand above the relative field of their experience for we know the secrets of the absolute.

We will work together always and will remain bound by blood and secrecy. Death will come to he who speaks.

We will keep their lifespan short and their minds weak while pretending to do the opposite.

We will use our knowledge of science and technology in subtle ways so they will never see what is happening.

We will use soft metals, aging accelerators and sedatives in food and water, also in the air.

They will be blanketed by poisons everywhere they turn.

The soft metals will cause them to lose their minds. We will promise to find a cure from our many fronts, yet we will feed them more poison.

The poisons will be absorbed trough their skin and mouths, they will destroy their minds and reproductive systems.

From all this, their children will be born dead, and we will conceal this information.

The poisons will be hidden in everything that surrounds them, in what they drink, eat, breathe and wear.

We must be ingenious in dispensing the poisons for they can see far.

We will teach them that the poisons are good, with fun images and musical tones.

Those they look up to will help. We will enlist them to push our poisons.

They will see our products being used in film and will grow accustomed to them and will never know their true effect.

When they give birth we will inject poisons into the blood of their children and convince them its for their help.

We will start early on, when their minds are young, we will target their children with what children love most, sweet things.

When their teeth decay we will fill them with metals that will kill their mind and steal their future.

When their ability to learn has been affected, we will create medicine that will make them sicker and cause other diseases for which we will create yet more medicine.

We will render them docile and weak before us by our power.

They will grow depressed, slow and obese, and when they come to us for help, we will give them more poison.

We will focus their attention toward money and material goods so they many never connect with their inner self. We will distract them with fornication, external pleasures and games so they may never be one with the oneness of it all.

Their minds will belong to us and they will do as we say. If they refuse we shall find ways to implement mind-altering technology into their lives. We will use fear as our weapon.

We will establish their governments and establish opposites within. We will own both sides.

We will always hide our objective but carry out our plan.

They will perform the labor for us and we shall prosper from their toil.

Our families will never mix with theirs. Our blood must be pure always, for it is the way.

We will make them kill each other when it suits us.

We will keep them separated from the oneness by dogma and religion.

We will control all aspects of their lives and tell them what to think and how.

We will guide them kindly and gently letting them think they are guiding themselves.

We will foment animosity between them through our factions.

When a light shall shine among them, we shall extinguish it by ridicule, or death, whichever suits us best.

We will make them rip each other's hearts apart and kill their own children.

We will accomplish this by using hate as our ally, anger as our friend.

The hate will blind them totally, and never shall they see that from their conflicts we emerge as their rulers. They will be busy killing each other.

They will bathe in their own blood and kill their neighbors for as long as we see fit.

We will benefit greatly from this, for they will not see us, for they cannot see us.

We will continue to prosper from their wars and their deaths.

We shall repeat this over and over until our ultimate goal is accomplished.

We will continue to make them live in fear and anger though images and sounds.

We will use all the tools we have to accomplish this.

The tools will be provided by their labor.

We will make them hate themselves and their neighbors.

We will always hide the divine truth from them, that we are all one. This they must never know!

They must never know that color is an illusion, they must always think they are not equal.

Drop by drop, drop by drop we will advance our goal.

We will take over their land, resources and wealth to exercise total control over them.

We will deceive them into accepting laws that will steal the little freedom they will have.

We will establish a money system that will imprison them forever, keeping them and their children in debt.

When they shall ban together, we shall accuse them of crimes and present a different story to the world for we shall own all the media.

We will use our media to control the flow of information and their sentiment in our favor.

When they shall rise up against us we will crush them like insects, for they are less than that.

They will be helpless to do anything for they will have no weapons.

We will recruit some of their own to carry out our plans, we will promise them eternal life, but eternal life they will never have for they are not of us.

The recruits will be called "initiates" and will be indoctrinated to believe false rites of passage to higher realms. Members of these groups will think they are one with us never knowing the truth. They must never learn this truth for they will turn against us.

For their work they will be rewarded with earthly things and great titles, but never will they become immortal and join us, never will they receive the light and travel the stars.

They will never reach the higher realms, for the killing of their own kind will prevent passage to the realm of enlightenment. This they will never know.

The truth will be hidden in their face, so close they will not be able to focus on it until its too late.

Oh yes, so grand the illusion of freedom will be, that they will never know they are our slaves.

When all is in place, the reality we will have created for them will own them. This reality will be their prison. They will live in self-delusion.

When our goal is accomplished a new era of domination will begin.

Their minds will be bound by their beliefs, the beliefs we have established from time immemorial.

But if they ever find out they are our equal, we shall perish then. THIS THEY MUST NEVER KNOW.

If they ever find out that together they can vanquish us, they will take action.

They must never, ever find out what we have done, for if they do, we shall have no place to run, for it will be easy to see who we are once the veil has fallen. Our actions will have revealed who we are and they will hunt us down and no person shall give us shelter.

This is the secret covenant by which we shall live the rest of our present and future lives, for this reality will transcend many generations and life spans.

This covenant is sealed by blood, our blood. We, the ones who from heaven to earth came.

This covenant must NEVER, EVER be known to exist. It must NEVER, EVER be written or spoken of for if it is, the consciousness it will spawn will release the fury of the PRIME CREATOR upon us and we shall be cast to the depths from whence we came and remain there until the end time of infinity itself.

Written by UNKNOWN Author - Posted 6/21/2002

The Open Covenant -a public response to the Secret Covenant -by an anonymous Canadian author

Source: www.librarising.com...

Knowledge Protects, Ignorance Endangers

“Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.” - Gurdjieff

[edit on 4-4-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

My daughter did this excercise when at school in AU.

From what I can find Nutritional Ferrous Sulfate used for iron deficiency anemia is not magnetic...
...neither is plant derived nutrient colloidal iron.

[edit on 4/4/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pajjikor

Keep eating your cereal. Its healthy.

No its not. A test done with rats,

Ann Arbor University researchers performed a dietary experiment on 18 rats. They were divided into three groups. One group was fed regular rat food, the second group was fed cornflakes, and the third group was fed the cardboard box that the cornflakes came in. All the rats were also given water.

The rats eating regular rat food remained healthy throughout the experiment.

The rats being fed the cardboard box eventually became lethargic and malnourished and died.

But the rats that were fed the cornflakes developed some interesting symptoms. They started showing signs of aggressive behaviour, schizophrenic behaviour, they began biting each other, throwing fits and going into convulsions.

The rats being fed the cornflakes died *before* the rats that were fed the cardboard box!

healthyfitmom.com...

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Sourdough4life]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
All industrialized food products have industrial materials in them. ANY FOOD processed on a machine: conveyor belts, presses, mixers, juicers etc contain at least BENZINE which is a big killer and carcinogen. One Benzine molecule destroys thousands of healthy liver cells in one fell swoop. The metal filings in the cereal probably came from the wire used to bail the raw product..they usually throw the whole crate in the the processor..wood wire and all..I thought they limited this to pet food (also not cool to do) but it seems they really want you to have that iron. Besides Benzine and metal filings we are still contending with partially hydrogenated oils and corn syrup--2 of the worst things to ever happen to the western diet..these 2 products are also killers..most folks with diabetes can cure themselves by stopping the ingestion of corn syrup...Also--The body cannot digest partially hydrogenated oils..these 2 products were created to make storage & handling easier and more efficient..some of the oil in cheap potato chips is over 50 years old! There is a small movement of hand processed foods growing.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sourdough4life

Wow...for years people in our family have said, "The box is probably better for you than the (whatever cereal)." It was meant as an annoying joke, to which everyone would laugh, nod and say "'probly". But I must say, I am not surprised that it would turned out to be truth.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Lets not forget GMO corn and soybeans. Monsanto tested FDA approved organ destroyer. Head of FDA is former Monsanto boy if I'm not mistaken.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thanks for bring this to my attention OP. S/F

I have to do a huge report on the element Iron for my chemistry class right now actually, just started it a few days ago. It's supposed to be about how great Iron is and why humans need a lot of it. Sure Iron does help, but this is just kinda...over the line.

Ha, the teacher thinks im going to be showing the class how great iron is...I can't wait to see the look on her face when I expose stuff like this in my report.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

I did this test out of curiousity and boredom. It actually produced a good amount of iron filings. I was shocked, I never thought that 'iron fortified' actually meant that there was real metal in my corn flakes.

However, I suppose it isn't dangerous, it would pass through your body, it is small enough to. There is a man who has eaten an airplane and TV's and a bunch of other metal objects without dying, his name is Michel Lotito, and I have heard of people craving the tast of metals.

I do wonder if this is always the form it takes when put into food products though....

Michael Lotito died 3 years ago at the age of 57. Pretty young age. It would be stupid to say that his young death had no relation to the amount of metals he ate.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That is a video I wish I didn't see but I will still eat cereal. There is a lot of food that has the "what the h*ll is in it" standard. Look at taco bell. We have no idea what is in those tacos but we love em. Sometimes you just gotta open wide and not think about it.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I tried it on my corn flakes, and it didn't work. Although these corn flakes do not say that they supply 100 percent of the RDA.

These were good old Kellogg Frosted Flakes. One serving supplies 25 percent of the RDA of iron.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sourdough4life

message.snopes.com...

Nobody can track down that rats die from corn flakes study. An unpublished unknown study in the 1960s at U of Michigan? Urban legend maybe -- but definitely no details on it.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
I can accept that. And I believe it to be mostly harmless, but what about damage to your teeth?
Yes, it's practically molecularized but still, it must damage the enamel to some extent.

This is the first thing I thought of. People blame cavities on high sugar content, which has been a common criticism of breakfast cereal. It seems more likely to me that the problem is pulverized iron.

Does anyone know how long they have been doing this with breakfast cereals?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join