It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal filings in your cereal.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
While reading another thread, i clicked on a youtube video and watched it, then i saw this tid bit pop up and watched it too..

and all i can say is wow..I'm thinking to myself that surely this is not the kind of iron we are supposed to be ingesting..right?

If we have any medical people on here, i sure would like some clarity on this...
thanks
BM

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 3-4-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Perhaps you should use the search function ........ for further info .

Try putting your OP title in ...... see what you get .

All about the bio-availability ...... still it was a bit of a shock , first time i heard about it too .

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Lol..thanks..i thought i did..oh well..seems like i am always late on a post, happens to me alot..

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I haven't seen this before - so thanks for the re-post.

Guess I have another reason to be glad that I don't like or eat "breakfast" foods.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The video doesn't work. I get an error message from Youtube saying "malformed video ID"....

Strange/

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Your welcome, it bothered me because i started eating high fiber cereal as per dr's instruction, now, i don't think i want to anymore..lol

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I didn't see this before either..yuck!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
myweb.brooklyn.liu.edu...

Says here it has to be like that or else it gets oxidized and so you excrete most of it.... but the stomach acid does dissolve some of it.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

Good information.

Either way, a strong case can be made for sticking with raw and whole foods (not something that needs to be fortified)...

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
When I was in grade school we had a guy come to our school and do a demonstration on different science experiments.
At some point throughout the demonstration out came a bag of cereal and a box of magnets.

He didn't use a blender and water, but the end result was the same.
What he did was crush up the whole bag of cereal and then put several white magnets into the bag and after a minute or so of shaking out came the magnets covered in iron filings.

I must thank you for bringing this to my attention again after all these years. I guess as a youngster I didn't much care about the implications of iron filings in my cereal, but I sure do now.

Has anyone looked into how safe this practice is?
We know iron is good for us and our bodies need it, but is this the proper way to ingest it?
I would think the sharp pieces of iron although practically microscopic could cause some type of damage to your intestinal tract, or perhaps even be absorbed into the blood stream. I don't know.

Sorry, but I don't have time to look for the answers to these questions right now, but I most certainly will when I have the time.

Can't believe I forgot about this. lol
Thank you OP for something to think about!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

you are most welcome! I feel the same way,now i might just go back to oatmeal for now.lol..hey i like oatmeal, but seriuosly, that is why i posted this, i am trying to find out if we ,as humans, are supposed to ingest this kind of iron.. Thanks for the reply..
BM

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this link with me.

It is common knowledge that most food we eat contains iron , but I was under the impression that this iron was molecularized /pulverized.

I did not know the iron was still in large filings and thus little better than industrial waste. This is concerning.

Perhaps they should use a better grinder to pulverize the iron into a form that would be more suitable for consumption and could be much easier to absorb into the bloodstream.

Also the concern about the filings being jagged and sharp is valid I believe, so this indeed could result in some sort of damage to the intestinal tract.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Oh man. We did this as an experiment in my Freshman year Biochem class. Supposedly the iron "filings" are small enough that our Stomach can dissolve them without any harm.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

exactly, when i first saw this video today i was like,holy crap, that's in my cereal
i.ve tried to eat healthy most of the time and seeing this just creeped me out, i'm 49 and really don't wan't to be eating iron shavings off an old chevy block..lol.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Good thing I have an iron stomach!

Seriously though, this is rather disconcerting.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the video, I was just about to have a bowl
On the other hand my roommate LOVES cereal and said nothing could ruin his day today, he should be back soon I'm sure it's going to be hilarious.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverado292
Thanks for the video, I was just about to have a bowl
On the other hand my roommate LOVES cereal and said nothing could ruin his day today, he should be back soon I'm sure it's going to be hilarious.

Hahaha! That made me giggle!

Not sure about them shavings.I have never crapped blood from eating cereal?(sorry to gross you guys out, bout to eat right now myself, bleh).

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Let us know if your roomate got to watch the video and tell us what he thought of it.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you for informing me of yet another assault on my health. Why am I still alive and apparently well?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
While this is definitely interesting, I`m not going to stop eating cereal. Maybe I`ll look for lower iron content but probly not even that. This is something that would be too obvious to miss if it really was causing problems. If I can munch my cereal down to a fine mush without it hurting my teeth and swallow it down without scraping the tender insides of my mouth and throat, I`m not going to worry about it. But it IS interesting and even though I`m not going to change anything immediately, I do think this topic warrants further attantion. And if it is proven one day to cause damage or at least significant damage, I may consider making some changes. There`s no way that every cereal has this...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join