learn more

Men owe women for 'creating beer'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
30 Mar 2010

Jane Peyton, 48, an author, said women created beer and for thousands of years it was only they who were allowed to operate breweries and drink beer.

The drink is now almost exclusively marketed to men - with television characters such as Homer Simpson the epitome of the beer-loving male.

Miss Peyton has conducted extensive research into the origins of beer for a new book and reports that a woman's touch was found on beer throughout the ages.

Nearly 7,000 years ago in Mesopotamia and Sumeria, so important were their skills that they were the only ones allowed to brew the drink or run any taverns.

And in almost all ancient societies beer was also then considered to be a gift from a goddess, never a male God.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Between the eighth and tenth centuries AD the Vikings spread terror by rampaging through Europe, fuelled by women-made ale.

Women invented a lot of things through time, not so sure that beer was a good thing with all the problems drinking has created in society.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
and who invented nukes!! women aren't to blame for terror by beer lol

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

All I can say is..
*CHEERS
I'm drinking beer right now, and loving it.
NOT PUI though..

[edit on 3-4-2010 by AccessDenied]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Men are better than women
Who cares who made beer I know who's going to serve it.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
who cares who made it
beer and boobs ftw
cheers to that

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

women created beer

Ok.

Thank you.

And thank you for boobs and cuddles and sex and love and all the other nice things you do for us.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

You have that right, seems anything to do with war, nukes, guns etc was invented by men, guess beer isn't so bad after all.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Maybe it's true maybe it's not.

With history and sweeping generalizations I tend to find a middle ground.

Usually I am drawn to ideas like "It was like that in some places, but it was not like that everywhere."

And I also like "Everyone and every situation is different, so an umbrella statement is misleading to the true complexity of our deep and rich histories."

These statements can be applied in many places where blanket generalizations are made about history in absolutist ways.

I tend to view History as a dichotomy rather than a singularity.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The article fails to mention that it was probably a very manly woman, possibly sporting a mustache, who invented beer.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I always knew there was something feminine about beer.

No wonder the combination of beer and boobs have always driven men crazy.

Burp

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

[edit on 3-4-2010 by jumpingbeanz]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Speaking soley for myself, thank you very much women!

I happen to love women of all kinds, and I get along great with females.
IF they invented beer, it's just one of the many things i love em for!
Here's to.....WOMEN!!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Let's hear it for women & beer
If it wasn't for my wife and beer I would have gone off the deep end a long time ago. I'll raise a flag for you.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

Salute for you my friend, same here!

Ladies, i'm buying all of you a beer

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

mines a stella ice cold

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Of course a female made beer..'
Why would a man be in the kitchen?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

Probably cooking, since most of the best chefs in the world are men!

I guess I get to blame my beer gut on women now, yay!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
To much beer can even give a man boobs. Something with hormones.

Make sense tho. On beer beat up their friend instead of their enemy.
Could be to prevent war.

The reason most chefs are men is because they are bullies. Not much cooking when you're a Chef. Look at Gordon Ramsey.

Anyway. Nobody is a better cook then my mommy. Her food is like a chain around my anckles

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
perhaps it was an ingenius creation to make men more attractive
who wants to mate with prehistoric man?

[edit on 4/3/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I question the author's hypothesis that beer must have been invented by a woman because women in Mesopotamia served it and it is associated with a goddess.

The modern beer industry is male dominated. I would guess that at least 50% of the people that work in breweries around the world are men. However, beer commercials often depict scantily clad women. Bars often employ women to work as bartenders and cocktail waitresses. Why? Because sex sells beer.

Perhaps in ancient times it was possible that men invented beer, but used women to sell beer. They may have associated beer with a sexy goddess to sell beer, just as today's beer commercials often use a sexy woman.

This is not to say it is not possible a woman invented beer. Beer was invented when somebody making bread or porridge added to much water. The mixture of grains and water fermented, creating the beverage we all know and love. Ergo, the true inventor of beer was whomever was making the bread or porridge.

Perhaps women invented beer because they did all the bread baking or porridge making, and not because they were the tavern keepers. Perhaps men in Mesopotamia had the duty of baking bread or making porridge.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join