It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Zawi Hawass retirement !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hawass has always taken offense to the idea that anything but Egyptians had anything to do with the magnificant architecture. If it is true then bravo to him for that. However, his actions point to someone who has something to hide.

-E-

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
Hawass has always taken offense to the idea that anything but Egyptians had anything to do with the magnificant architecture. If it is true then bravo to him for that. However, his actions point to someone who has something to hide.

-E-

Could you explain what you mean ?

Pride is a strong emotion. Could be a very good reason.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Dear Shirley,
Just received new information from someone better informed than me about Zahi's retirement:

"Zahi is meant to be retiring from his position in the SCA in May (he said this publicly in London in December), but already he has been given a new honorary position in the Government under the Minister of Culture as the person directly responsible for running of the SCA. So they can’t get him out even if they wanted. This said, the new General Secretary of the SCA is not going to accept any kind of control from someone outside the organization, so things could change now."

All the best
Graham

Just recieved this email from Graham Hancock, looks like it's happening and rather soon.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Does this means he still keeps his dusty sausage fingertips pouring the porridge ?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am going to put forth an idea that will not be popular, a bit of the devils advocate.
I think that the retirement of Dr. Zawi Hawass may not be such the blessing that everyone feels. The middle east, and especially Egypt, old hurts run deep. If anything Dr. Hawass has a responsiblity to his people and his country, not only to protect the artifacts that are there, but also the sites that we all have come to marvel at. He has to balance what is acceptable to the populace at large with the international community, to ensure that integrety is maintained, often erring on the side of caution, even if in the eyes of the world it makes him unpopular. In a country where one misstep can get a person killed, I think he has done an excellent job coming out of it unscathed and making it to retirement age.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Yes I agree with you. He has kept a history alive within a culture renowned for destroying that what opposes it's ways.

At the other hand. They are not stupid. The egyptian history and the legacy it's left is their biggest cash cow. without it they have little to spare.

With all the new pyramids and stuff they do have to keep it interesting. So maybe, who knows.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Could you explain what you mean ?

Pride is a strong emotion. Could be a very good reason.

Pride is absolutely right. Imagine "your people" being responsible for an amazing achievement, and the world claiming "your people" couldn't possibly have done it themselves. It is demeaning.

I'm not saying that I think it was done by man, I am just saying that if Hawass does believe that, he would certianly take great offence to any other idea.

-E-

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
I am going to put forth an idea that will not be popular, a bit of the devils advocate.

Your idea is quite popular, with me.

I have never fallen for that paranoid claptrap about Hawass. I mean, I look at him and I see a showman, yeah, but he has never done anything that would indicate that he had any agenda or whatever (other than the laws of Egypt - and rightly so.)

Doctor Hawass, in addition to doing a fine job as Secretary of SCA, has been single-handedly responsible for the return to Egypt of more stolen artifacts than any other person in his position (or in any position.)

He is, I believe, a great man and a good man, albeit a little bit of a media whore.

Here's hoping that the replacement is at least as good as Dr. Hawass.

Harte

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
While reading online about Hawass I came across this:

Dr. Hawass Named Vice Minister of Culture of Egypt

This means he is NOT retiring..Oh yay! *sarcasm*

There is no set retirement for this position so he will still be in charge. I was actually looking forward to his retirement.

more from Hawass' site

But then President Mubarak called me on the phone to ask me when I am really retiring. He said he would appoint me as Deputy Minister of Culture, which would mean that I would not have to retire next year, as Ministers and Deputy Ministers in Egypt have no set age for retirement.

I may not care for him all that much but he has done a lot for Egyptian history and it's artifacts and sites. I just don't like how he treats others that have a different view of his. You would think he would want the real truth out about Egypt. I think there is so much more to Egypt and it's history, just like the rest of the world, and I think he knows some of it and hides it because it doesn't fit in with the accepted history of Egypt. What he did to a couple other archaeologists made me lose all respect for him back in the day. I use to love him and look up to him then I saw his nasty side as I call it and lost all respect I had for him.

source

top topics

<< 1   >>

join