It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micro Chipped Pill Tells Doctors If You Are Taking Your Meds!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Chip in Pill Tells Doctors Whether or Not You Take Your Meds

No longer will doctors have to worry whether or not their patients have taken their prescribed medications. Thanks to researchers at the University of Florida the pills will now send messages back to the doctor when they have been ingested.

Although still in prototype, each pill is the standard size, with an antenna printed on the surface with ink made of nontoxic, conductive silver nanoparticles. Contained within the pill is a microchip the size of a period which transmits a signal to a nearby receiver. The receiver then sends a message back to the doctor. Currently it is just the transmitting device but in the future it could be built into watches, cell phones or other common items. The antenna breaks down within the body and the mircochip passes through the digestive tract safely.

This new pill will ensure not only that patients are taking there pills but also taking them in the right amounts and at the correct times. Several studies have been done that show that a good number of patients are not taking their pills as prescribed, especially those suffering chronic illnesses. In some cases taking only half the dosages they should be. It has also been reported that nearly 218,000 deaths each year could be attributed to this. The American Heart Association calls patients’ failure to follow prescription regimens “the number one problem in treating illness today.”

All of these issues could be circumvented with the help of this new “smart pill.” University of Florida assistant professor Rizwan Bashirullah says, “The vision of this project has always been that you have an antenna that is biocompatible, and that essentially dissolves a little while after entering the body. The idea is to use technology to do this in a more seamless, much less expensive way.”

The team recently showcased their findings at a conference in Japan and are currently at work on a scholarly paper about their research. They have applied for patents and FDA testing will be done shortly.

Source

That is scary.

Like drop dead scary. What does this mean? If they already have this, RFID chips could easily go in over the counter medication...

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
S+F

Yes i agree, this is actually pretty scary indeed!

Why do they need to know if we are taking them anyway? I thought it was our choice if we was to take them or not!!

Soo for example if we go to our local doctor and they prescribe to us sleeping pills beause of trouble sleeping then it's our choice if we decide to actually take them, no one should have to check up on us to make sure we are.

Makes you wonder about what type or world we are inevitably heading into.

:shk:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
NO, you see what their really trying to do is make sure you have taken their "medicine". Just to try to calm you down.
I bet that this "Pill" also tells what you have been doing and what you have been watching. Like a kind of surveillance camera.
I also bet that this so called "pill" is like a virus that could be downloaded into your mind to give you messages. Like to stop certain people from doing certain things.(If you know what I mean)

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yeah I agree, this is ridiculous.

I mean, it's one thing to say ok take your meds, but to actually be able to track people's activities throughout the day is just wrong.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That is scary.

Like drop dead scary.

You took the words right out of my mouth...
I'm just speechless...

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Source

That is scary.

Like drop dead scary. What does this mean? If they already have this, RFID chips could easily go in over the counter medication...

~Keeper

It's not as bad as you're dreaming it is.

I don't honestly see the point of it, it's one of those crazy patents you'll never see implemented.

At any rate, the thing's a sort of jelly bean stock h-field part. You have to belly up to an interrogator to send the data. If you're too demented to remember if you took your Amiodarone this morning, you'll not be likely to remember to rub the antenna on your tummy. Nor will you be likely to pay the price for the part, it'll up the capsule costs about 25-50 cents a pill. Plus the cost of the interrogator. Plus the costs of the service.

Since it's an h-field part, you aren't exactly transmitting signals. Not as radio waves anyway.

new topics

top topics

join