It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long do you think Humanity has left?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I say we have at least another 2000 years.
Hydrogen power, and solar power will see us through..
Of course alot of people would miss there everyday objects they take for granted.
But thats what humans do, we adapt.

Space colonies are crucial to our survival, more recourses and if anything ever happened to Earth humans still live.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I will be a little dramatic, but i give Humanity less then a century. We will not vanish, but we will be willingly "substituted" by new non-biological civilization. Our robo-offspring.
Sorry for doom and gloom approach.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, comparing world events to Biblical Prophecy, I guesstimate 10 years tops. It's very exciting, and yet terrifying, to see it all come together.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Sounds like a good number, but to be honest, I am really disappointed in our current space programme. Sure, we have satellites up there like crazy, but that doesn't help the fact that one day we will run out of resources here on earth, even just resources to build things, and will have to obtain them elsewhere.
Space exploration is so expensive to advance, I really believe that we will have to overcome our current financial system in order to have a decent and progressive global space programme. Until then, depending on how things go, I probably don't have any accurate guesses since I see space travel and colonization as a key to our survival.

If we are unable to further our space programme, and it is limited by our capitalistic greed, maybe 200 years.

If we can get over ourselves and our selfish attitude and greedy systems, and colonize space, we could probably make it until God comes back! He may even prolong our stay here in our reality to see how far we get!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If you mean Humanity meaning the human race, I think we'll be around for a long long time, we've faced alot more than we think we have, we've survived super volcanos, and have been wiped down to less than 10,000 and still survived, but whether society will survive long is another question, and I believe society will fall within 100 years, either due to hoarding of minerals and resources, or by nuclear war.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I totally agree that humans have seemingly always had the capacity to reason out a solution to just about any problem. I mean I just can't think of any major problem from back in the past that we now have to say 'wow, I guess we never did figure that one mate'.

I am optimistic by nature and I really do feel that we will eventually be able to overcome problems such as population, food supply etc before they overwhelm us all. Personally, I don't see colonies in space as being crucial to our long term survival. We may have to harvest some raw materials from off planet though.

Now, just because humans can overcome most 'natural' problems it doesn't mean that an 'outside' occurence couldn't be the end. I am religious and I do believe that God will determine when the end will come. Until then, we'll just keep on keeping on.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In less than 1000 days, C3PO will walk the moon . . . sort of (Project M) I have spoken with one of the engineers working on this project and it is real. Sure, the world has budget problems and too many are ignorant about the many earth based benefits we have gained from the Space Program, but the potential for significant positive impact on our lives, is none the less quite real.

If we can manage to not blow ourselves up and foul our environment, we can indeed progress to the stars. It is only a matter of will.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I think the planet will explode this century. But maybe this is just a projection of myself. Maybe I will explode.

Kinda like a "unconscious projection of the subconscious mind".

I see deep problems on the ocean floor. Fissures, water of immense weight, superheated, fissures opening up, core breech. But why, why now? Don't know.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Why does everyone think that the world is gonna end and soon? I mean come on every single generation has thought that they are the last. I understand the problems we face but seriously. I mean cosmologically we have been around for the blink of an eye.

p.s. I'm gonna make a thread about this.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

All depends if anyone presses that red button or not... also it would help if religious Agendas weren't around coz then the threat of Nuclear war would be less so....

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As a society, I think we are close to the precipice. We have been closer than we are now and we have pulled ourselves back, so its likely we will do so again. Nobody wants to die and only the most twisted and deranged people would want to see death on such a collosal scale. Humanity as a race will survive the fall of society, even with nuclear war.

Humanity will survive on Earth until a comet or asteroid hits the planet, or some other sort of mass-extinction that will wipe out all but the simplest of life forms. But then it will quickly develop into more advanced life forms and a new wave of intelligence will exist. Whether we are actually still around having managed to escape the mass extinction event or not is another matter.

Looks very unlikely the way humanity is right now, cos if we got struck we'd be extinct. Unless of course the elite are actually building arks of some description or building bunkers to house seeds. So maybe thats what they have all the power and money for. They are actually saving life on this planet, and everything else is just a distraction to avoid panic.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

If one is a faithful believer, it could be felt that some foreknowledge was imparted. Maybe an angel whispered into their ear while they were sleeping?

Or it could be more scientific than that. Don't frogs come out of the ground before an earthquake, or animals rush away from the beach before a tidal wave.

I was in my backyard a few years ago and one of my pet turtles came running toward me like mad. It looked at me and started digging, it kept digging until it was completely buried. This was strange. Some hours later the skies darkened, it began to rain and then a God awful hail storm. Many houses in town needed new roofs. But the little creature knew.

link   

I think that a guesstimate is meaningless because we could be struck by a global killer at any moment without warning as not all large rocks out there have been noted.

Combine this fact with the other fact that the solar system is in the middle of a high velocity shooting gallery then it seems plausible that I might turn to my wife one day to laugh at one of her quips only to be interrupted by a superheated flash followed instantly by my flesh vaporising off my bones (Not a bad end compared to many).

I think that if a global killer does not do us in then I think that we will not die out as a species any time soon. I could envisage human civilisation on a global scale falling apart though within the next few hundred years if our thirst for habitualised deceit, war and the love of the warrior continues to be held up as being noble rather than regarding the poet, the humanist, the naturalist and the scholar as the true nobility and jewels of humanity.

It is all back to front you see, we love the killer and the more adept the warrior is in the career of killing the more we love them – Perhaps the end is closer than we think and perhaps that is not a bad thing

link   
We're OK as long as the British keep building the roads!!

Humanity has been here for millions of years and as long as the planet survives, so will we.

Jason

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I kinda agree with hthjason - my phrasing would be "We have all the time in the world! Literally."

gj

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
We will never completely vanish. We will continue to progress technologically, then fight each other and regress over and over again. Assuming our wars don't cripple our space exploration, we will probably start imperialism once more, except this time with planets. We will do this until we are discovered by a superior alien species, who will force us to sign a space treaty preventing the spread of our species, or else they will annihilate back to the Stone Age and enslave us.

I don’t buy the whole robots mastering us thing. We will always be head and shoulders above A.I. However, they will play a pivotal role in helping us create arable planets.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Lol there is no such thing as "Humanity" anymore...the humanity part was over when first land boundaries were made. Keep up with the going in the world mate.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain

Lol there is no such thing as "Humanity" anymore...the humanity part was over when first land boundaries were made. Keep up with the going in the world mate.

Nonsense. ( BS )

Destruction, killing, evil.
It's all part of being human. If anybody denies this then it's time to start a religion for them selves. Humanity does not mean we are perfect loving good people. We will lovingly kill you if you trespass our thoughts or property in the most good and civilised way we can think of.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The world-end fans will die of old age and they'll die bitter and disappointed if they don't grow beyond their current beliefs

How long will the human race last ?

I suspect they'll last a lot longer than today's organised religions, that's for sure

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
6 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 12 seconds. But that was calculated 6 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 11 seconds ago. ... about 1/4 million years or so, but who's counting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join