It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long would a global effort by all of Humanity to build a spaceship like ENTERPRISE take?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Ok, I'll bite.
Where'd you get this info from?
Are you a secret CIA spy who went rogue and now wants to free the world from their evil secrets?
Or did you get it from someone who claimed to be former CIA?

CIA's got nothing to do with it. It's a joint services project with Navy and AF. Been running since the 40's, although they didn't have the tech infrastructure to do much with it until the 60's, and even then it was pretty darned crude.

Not that it's exactly Starfleet now, the "whoopsie" rate with Mach drives is phenomenal, but not unexpected given what's going on in there.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
There was a time when I too thought that we could build a spaceship so huge that we could save many humans from extinction. Then as things would have it, I found out that we don't need to build Star ships to save humanity. All we have to do is make public the secret technology that allows for instant teleportation to distant planets and other galaxies or universes.

A secret technology that combines wormhole creation with Star-gate portals that allow for moment throughout the universe and distant planets with no need for all the Enterprise type ships that go forth to go where no one has gone before. Those that have the secret technology have been using it for decades to populate off world colonies. Since it is currently used to move between planets and star systems, it is this technology that could save mankind from extinction.

It is this technology that renders world population control and all human population concerns null and void. With our ability to populate distant planets with small populations, we could save all of planet Earth should it become known that Earth was to be hit with an E.L.E. Anyway, building large space ships could still be built, but because of the lengthy time, money and materials needed to construct such a ship, it makes more sense to use the secret technology the elite will use to save themselves before the SHTF.

We only have to make them give it up because anyone who thinks that Obama is going to willingly reveal such secret technology is brain dead at best. A zombie at worst.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It's currently impossible.
We would need dozens of new technologies, so until those are developed, it would be impossible to get to other star systems, for example, we're going to need to develop some sort of shielding for cosmic dust and particles that would otherwise rip through the ship, and that's just cosmic dust, but if you just want a ship that is very large that would orbit around the earth, it would be relatively cheap, probably in the range of a few billion or so I think, alot less than banker bailouts anyway

[edit on 3-4-2010 by hippomchippo]

Why figure its impossible when you don't know what humanity has? I think it could be done, just not exactly like the enterprise. Combining solar sails and the latest top secret propulsion systems along with the best engineering minds in the world with limitless funds, I think a trip to our nearest star could be made in ohhhh...a couple thousand years? Hey, I think I know why Jesus is taking so long to get back guys!

[edit on 3-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I always wondered what people talked about standing in line at a startrek convention.

thank you.

all.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

You may be right, I think we are so many years ahead in space travel that it would blow our minds, I am ready to have my mind blown.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Liking the thought.

Not long at all is my opinion.

Assuming we can get rid of personal interest, money and religion.

EDIT to add..we'd obviously have to execute everyone that said the word 'impossible' too. (you were talking feasibility, and not moralistically weren't you?)

If the whole planet pooled it's intellect, resources and so on, probably no more than five years...a fleet of thousands would come soon after.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by spikey]

[edit on 3/4/2010 by spikey]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yes Spikey right.

As I recal there is no need for money in star trek.
This is the first and probable most difficult problem to solve.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

We would need dozens of new technologies, so until those are developed, it would be impossible to get to other star systems, for example, we're going to need to develop some sort of shielding for cosmic dust and particles that would otherwise rip through the ship, and that's just cosmic dust, but if you just want a ship that is very large that would orbit around the earth, it would be relatively cheap, probably in the range of a few billion or so I think, alot less than banker bailouts anyway

Why figure its impossible when you don't know what humanity has? I think it could be done, just not exactly like the enterprise. Combining solar sails and the latest top secret propulsion systems along with the best engineering minds in the world with limitless funds, I think a trip to our nearest star could be made in ohhhh...a couple thousand years? Hey, I think I know why Jesus is taking so long to get back guys!

[edit on 3-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

Sorry, would you rather me say it's impossible unless there's a super secret propulsion system that they give to the entire world?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
With the current space launch systems it would take many decades and be ready for the scrapyard at the end of the building process.

A 200000 ton 300 metres long spaceship built from modules no more than 18x4.5x3.5 metres, hauled on a spaceshuttle that carries no more than 25 tons.

With russian rockets it get's better 2 to 3 times the cargo capacity, but it would still take decades.

EDIT:What is needed is a production facility in space, and I don't mean a space dock. I mean a plant with automated rolling cluster, metalworking systems and storage space for steel blooms, slabs and finished parts.

If that was in place, then the parts of the spaceship would not be constrained by the delivery system and the delivery system would just need to haul steel blooms or the occasional electronics into space.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by aaa2500]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
How about a battery or series of batterys of George Bull cannons firing raw materials into orbit 24\7?

I wonder if in a launch scenario you could use the constant rise from a deep water spot combined with using the pressure changes to your advantage in terms of fuel composition,maybe you could load and use more fuel if it was under pressure under water to maximise the lift created by the rise to the surface,it might not seem like much but a constant lift is still a constant lift,isnt it?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
How about a battery or series of batterys of George Bull cannons firing raw materials into orbit 24\7?

Personally I would love to see all rocket launches start 10 kilometres below ground and use a giant rail gun to accelerate to mach 5-6 before even igniting their engines close to the surface. Think of the amount of cargo that would be carried or the amount of fuel saved...

24 batteries of rail guns launching automated freight vehicles carrying steel blooms for the spaceship factory... Sure, I'll buy that for a dollar

I wonder if in a launch scenario you could use the constant rise from a deep water spot combined with using the pressure changes to your advantage in terms of fuel composition,maybe you could load and use more fuel if it was under pressure under water to maximise the lift created by the rise to the surface,it might not seem like much but a constant lift is still a constant lift,isnt it?

It probably would not work. The sides of a rocketstage are really thin and would likely collapse under the increased pressure.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by aaa2500]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Is it possible to create a material with a nao-weave that causes it to tighten or stiffen and possibly change composition in stages to accomplish this?Like armor that becomes stronger by pirating the energy of the projectile to initiate a chemical or physical change in the armor itself resulting in a stronger barrier and a conversion of damaging energy into protective energy?Any materials or whatever type of engineer may know if this is currently possibe or if it is on the table.

How about we say 240 batteries of rail guns and I will google George Bulls payload specs and we will triple them considering technological advances since he was murdered for his contributions to humanity,he knew his idea had to be brought into the mainstream but was forced by the powers that be to bring it out as a military application and when they realised the potential to launch cheaply into orbit they murdered him to stop him from spreading the technology.

Anyone know how much of a liftoff advantage would be gained by being far undergroung as opposed to using buoancy or the water as lift or pirated energy ?Pros and cons of both possibly,just ballpark numbers.

How about launching materials to grow or to manufacture nano-materials in space?Maybe steel blooms only at the beginning.

Any predictions of how technology "might"improve as we are building say over ten years--I mean some guesses on materials currently being researched and other energy concepts now in the R and D stage.

Go to Bing and enter--George bull cannon space payload weight--read the first site titled Gun Launch,read the first couple pages I dont know how to make a link ,if you do there is a wealth of info there ,including underwater related topics.

Sounds absolutely feasable .
[edit on 5-4-2010 by one4all]

[edit on 5-4-2010 by one4all]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The title of this thread reminds me of the short story by Harry Turtledove called "Half the Battle". The title comes from the aphorism, "Knowing it's possible is half the battle." The story tells of generations of humans rebuilding civilization after the apocalypse. They systematically hunt for and engineer the old technology based on blueprints and technical manuals they unearth from the ruins.

You can probably see where this is going...

The story ends with the captain of the latest "restoration" ordering Warp One.

As far as a rapid reusable launch system, I think we need something like the magnetically-launched MagLifter and/or the [much] more ambitious Star Tram. Here's a LINK to a .pdf about them.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Not could we,we know we can,but how fast with global resources that are unlimited?

i think you missed the point?

this posts needs some engineers who like to dream!

i look forward to some speculation.. im no engineer, but love to dream!

who said anything about star travel also, from what i read im thinking space ark, size of the enterprise !

i think the biggest challange would be getting the parts and supplies (food / life support / welding stuff / clothes ect) INTO Space!

imo the best way would be to build everything in sections and then assemble in space, so really, the only REAL thing we woudl need to invent would be some seriously heavy lift system for getting parts of ships into orbit!

if humans can build bridges that span miled at the hight of mountains AND over seas, im fairly sure that we (the human race) could build something in orbit the size of the enterprise... like i say, the main obsticle would be getting things into orbit, after that it woudl just need assembled and made airtight! job done!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

This must be why no one ever went to the moon??
Must be why they made believe in some pictures.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I've been to the moon so many people have also been there.Its not as far as you think and it doesnt take as long as you think,in fact we dont even know the truth about the very nature or essence of space,if you THINK OF SPACE AS AN OCEAN AND WHAT WE TRAVEL THROUGH AS WATER YOU ARE CLOSER TO THE TRUTH AND THE AMOUNT OF LIFE FORMS SURROUNDING YOU WETHER YOU SEE ANY AT ALL FOR POSSIBLY CENTURIES IS INCREDIBLE,YOU CAN TRAVEL FOR VAST DISTANCES AND SEE NOTHING IN THE OCEAN,imagine if you were an amoeba and your journey was transatlantic and your speed was relative to our speed ,thats us in space people,the amoeba might report that there was absolutely no life in the ocean for possibly many many generations ,until the first time it sees another life form if it even recognises the lifeform for what it is.

Dont believe your governments and churches they have lied through omission.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Can you imagine having to build that computer to run the ship? Forget having to harness anti-matter:

Having a computer that does BILLIONS of calculations per NANOSECOND, now thats a FEAT!

Better have one awesome cooling system or sizzling she'd be!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
There was a time when I too thought that we could build a spaceship so huge that we could save many humans from extinction. Then as things would have it, I found out that we don't need to build Star ships to save humanity. All we have to do is make public the secret technology that allows for instant teleportation to distant planets and other galaxies or universes.

A secret technology that combines wormhole creation with Star-gate portals that allow for moment throughout the universe and distant planets with no need for all the Enterprise type ships that go forth to go where no one has gone before. Those that have the secret technology have been using it for decades to populate off world colonies. Since it is currently used to move between planets and star systems, it is this technology that could save mankind from extinction.

It is this technology that renders world population control and all human population concerns null and void. With our ability to populate distant planets with small populations, we could save all of planet Earth should it become known that Earth was to be hit with an E.L.E. Anyway, building large space ships could still be built, but because of the lengthy time, money and materials needed to construct such a ship, it makes more sense to use the secret technology the elite will use to save themselves before the SHTF.

We only have to make them give it up because anyone who thinks that Obama is going to willingly reveal such secret technology is brain dead at best. A zombie at worst.

Thanks for the posting.

I'm curious, where did you get the information that there was secret technology? Links? Videos?

Also, even after watching an episode of Sci Fi Science today, which discussed this very topic, I wonder why humans have to jump straight to the big machines. Why not start small, building a much smaller ship, utilising all the theoretical technologies such as anti-matter and nano-tubes, just to prove that IT IS theorectically possible? It would considerably cost a whole lot less (with the exception of anti-matter costing so much, and taking so long to manufacture).
Hypothetically speaking, of course. Interstellar space travel isn't going to be made in my lifetime

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by one4all

Can you imagine having to build that computer to run the ship? Forget having to harness anti-matter:

Having a computer that does BILLIONS of calculations per NANOSECOND, now thats a FEAT!

Better have one awesome cooling system or sizzling she'd be!

I imagine they could vent the heat into space. Is that even possible? Imagine if they could harness that, if it were possible, and use it a very low system of propulsion?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The closes we have come is the Notational Project Orion which would have used nuclear explosions in space to propell a craft. 3.3% the speed of light was to have been the max speed. or so i have been told.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join