It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has any one noticed the change in the 2010 penny?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My wife came home from the grocery store the other day and handed me a nice bright shiny new penny. The she told me to check out the obverse side.
In place of the usual Lincoln Memorial, there was a shield, with the words, "E Pluibus Unum" on it.
I know there have been in quarters, using state emblems and such, but when did they decide to announce achnges in the penny? For that matter, have there been changes in the nickel? Thomas Jefferson is still on the front. Montecello was on the back. Have I missed something?
I have to admit, I rarely carry change, and when I do, it goes in a jar when I get home.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Yes the reverse is different, as they are continuing the whole dress up the money thing. Later this year or next year it will be different.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The US Mint describes the change in the penny.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
this, to me, is a prime example of why the US will soon fail as a nation.

Our president is promising trillions of dollars, spending on everything he possibly can, giving away more money than we actually have and, instead of cutting costs, we're spending money redesigning pennies and quarters. Once the designs are chosen, the minting facilities need to be changed (heh) to ensure the new coins can be made.

Hundreds of millions spent, in total, perhaps.

On one coin that is already obsolete and another that is rapidly going the way of the dodo.

this is, in my mind, as big a waste in government spending as you will find.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Changes in coin design shouldn't be any surprise, really. Since our coins were stripped of their silver content in 1965 and replaced with "silver-like" copper/nickel sandwiches that Lyndon Johnson swore to the people were of exactly the same value as the no longer minted silver coins, and the 97.5% copper penny was replaced in 1984 with the current zinc model ever-so-lightly sprayed with copper from an atomizer, any changes to design or composition are no doubt intended to remove whatever smidgen of value is left in what we so faithfully yet foolishly consider money. I expect our coins will soon be minted from aluminum, if not the wood of the long needle pine.

Here's a tip: Hoard nickels like there's no tomorrow. They are still composed of 75% copper and 25% nickel and have not yet been changed to zinc. It already costs the Mint over 6 cents to create a nickel and that's just the melt price of the metal. In the not too distant future, the prices of copper and nickel could rise to the point where a roll of nickels may be worth $18 - $20 instead of its $2 face value. And today a roll of nickels only costs $2. Write me when you're rich.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Crakeur has a very good point about a waste of money. linux2216 has a great point about devaluing ("wasting") the money. The potential good to come out of this may be that at least we are used to "changing money" now so it won't be too socially traumatic when new currency (hopefully solvent, assest-backed currency not NAU/NWO notes) is instituted. I think it's part of a long range plan to desensitize the public to the concept - much like cop/court reality/drama shows on TV and the daily MSM.

I hear pennies 1982 and earlier are best to keep because of some transition coinage in 1983 was minted prior to the all-zinc 1984 release, but I don't have the reference on that.

gj

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Maybe it's time to demand that the US goes to a bi-metal standard to support our currency. In other words, lets go back to a gold and silver backed currency.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I wasn't aware until a couple days ago my sister brought it to my attention at the store

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
what are you talking about? I thought you meant the British penny but the rest of the thread mentions USA. I didn't know you lot had a penny??

top topics

join