It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Man From Earth" movie - Hidden religious secrets within the movie?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

""The Man From Earth" movie - Hidden religious secrets within the movie?

First off, for those who haven't seen the movie I recommend you watch it - it really makes you think and keeps you listening in throughout the whole movie - although I will tell you right now the whole movie takes place in one building (a house) and it's basically a guy telling his life story... he claims to be 14,000 years old and never dies. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie below is the synopsis... (skip this if you know the movie OR if you're lazy and just want to watch the trailer, link is below)

Full Synopsis [SOURCE]

The movie begins with Professor John Oldman (David Lee Smith) packing his belongings onto his truck preparing to move to a new home. His colleagues show up to give him an unexpected farewell party: Harry (John Billingsley, a biologist); Edith (Ellen Crawford, a fellow professor and devout Christian); Dan (Tony Todd, an anthropologist); and Sandy (Annika Peterson), a historian who is in love with John. As they are walking into the house, Edith spots an unknown Van Gogh painting of John's with the note "To my friend, Jacques Borne" on the back written in French. Once inside, his friends persistently ask John why he is leaving.

Another friend, Art Jenkins (William Katt), an archeologist, and his student Linda Murphy (Alexis Thorpe), arrive and John's friends continue to pressure him for the reason for his departure. John poses the question, "What if a man, from the Upper Paleolithic survived until the present day?" They assume that John is working on a science fiction story and play along with the discussion. As the film progresses, John slowly reveals that he is the "caveman" under discussion when he mentions that he was given a chance to sail with Christopher Columbus in the 15th century. The revelation starts off with John's recollection of the terrain of prehistoric Earth and John's origins, which happens to be roughly 14,000 years ago. John reveals that he was once Jacques Borne, a friend of Van Gogh's, and he is now "moving on" since some people have noticed his lack of aging.

As they take a break from the discussion, Art who is concerned about John's sanity telephones another friend, Dr. Will Gruber (Richard Riehle), an elderly psychologist, explaining the odd situation and asks him to come over right away. In the meantime, Sandy confesses to John that she loves him, but John tells her they can never be together because of his immortality. John resumes his story by stating that he was once a Sumerian for 2000 years, then a Babylonian under Hammurabi, and finally a disciple of Gautama Buddha. Dr. Gruber arrives, at which point Dan mentions that John's tale is as impossible to be disproved as it is to be verified, a response to the many attempts to poke holes in John's story by his colleagues. The discussion takes a turn into the biological and physical condition of John and the topic of death. Gruber propels the discussion deeper into the topic of death and tension rises as Gruber interrogates John on that subject. The tension culminates with Gruber pointing a gun at John. After the drama ends with the departure of Gruber, Harry reveals that Gruber's wife has passed away the day before and the profession of John's immortality had hit Gruber very hard. Art and Edith are upset with John's story, while Harry, Dan, Sandy, and Linda appear to be more sympathetic.

John also mentions that he is not a follower of a particular religion, and he doesn't believe in an omnipotent God. John's audience is shocked when he reveals how he survived the crucifixion when he was Jesus by "blocking the pain", a technique he learned in India. He explains the origin of the Resurrection, Moses, and other events and people in the Bible. Tempers and emotions rise as Edith pressures John to recant his story, which offends her deep-rooted faith in the Bible. Dr. Gruber returns to the scene and apologizes to John for his "infantile behavior". As John continues to pack his belongings onto the truck, his colleagues begin to talk about the possibility of John being mentally ill or high on drugs.

The discussions of John being Jesus, Christianity, and the Bible continue and Edith, unable to take John's tale anymore, breaks down crying. Emotions in the room run high. Gruber takes charge of the situation and sternly demands that John end his "high tale" and give closure to the story; he threatens John with the possibility of locking him up for observation. John apologizes to everyone and, as he doesn't want to further upset any of his friends, he tells them that all he just told them is just a story.

As each of John's friends leave, John apologizes to Harry and Edith, while Art and Linda leave without many parting words. When it is Dan's turn to say goodbye, it is hinted that Dan believes John's story. After everyone but Dr. Gruber and Sandy has left, Dr. Gruber overhears John relating to Sandy some of the other pseudonyms he has used over the years. One used over 60 years ago was the name of Gruber's father, a chemistry professor from Harvard, who had left the family. Gruber, shocked and over-excited, suffers a heart attack and dies. After Gruber's body is taken away, the movie ends with Sandy walking towards John (sitting in his truck); at the last minute he changes his mind to spend some part of his life with her.

Trailer

***SPOILER ALERT***

Okay now on to what I have to say about this movie...

What interests me the most about this was the biblical input within the movie. The man who claims to be 14,000 years old ,named John Oldman (funny last name if you see the movie) whom is played by David Lee Smith, talks about his life throughout history. He doesn't remember everything, just key points in life just like we do, traumas, good memories, sad memories etc...

The one lady in the movie is a devout Christian, and shows it very much in the movie, obviously because of his claims, which make her upset. It gets worse for this poor old lady however when "John Oldman" claims he was Jesus. He says Jesus (him) was not who the bible portrays him to be, and that he actually never had any followers - people just started following him around. He spoke true and kind words yes, but he really didn't mean to preach. He says there were no miracles preformed; no walking on water for example. He goes on to say much more such as how the church basically shaped him the way they wanted him to control the people.

Hmm... sound familiar? I know it does to a lot of us, even true Christians believe that the bible was embellished plenty. He also states in the movie that the whole bible basically was a bunch of nonsense however it did have bits of real history thrown into it. There were no carvings of "sins" or any such thing at all. But the BEST part is how he explains the resurrection...

He states that Jesus (once again he was Jesus he claims) spent time with mastered yogies (or something along those lines) and learned to be able to basically shut down his body to the point where it seemed as if he were dead - breathing exercises and such, slowing down the heart rate etc...

So, he says he was crucified, and his hands were bound to the cross by rope NOT by nails! He says that even if he were to have had been nailed to the cross he would have not had the scars because in the movie he explains that he doesn't scar... well that doesn't sound too odd for a man who doesn't age now does it? Funny enough his aging stopped at the age of 35. It depends what religion you follow, I do not follow any, I am a spiritualist, however religions claim many different ages for Jesus' death ranging anywhere from early twenties to mid thirties. No one seems to know the exact date... which is understandable considering how long ago this all happened.

Anyway, back to the resurrection, he basically slowed his heart rate down supposedly and basically meditated and seemed 'dead' - and that sounds pretty reasonable since many doctors back in those times didn't do autopsies from what I know of, so he was laid to rest after being pronounced dead. He doesn't state, in the movie, where he was placed exactly, the only thing he says about the place of death is that his tomb was guarded by I believe 2 guards. When he awoke 3 days later from his tomb it appeared to everyone he had been resurrected hence the tellings of he must be the son of God and such... he says he never made any such claims whatsoever but people said what they said, stories spread, and over time they got exaggerated (which is exactly what I have always believed, even when I was a Catholic school boy going to Catholic school).

So, that basically sums up the part I wanted to talk about (there is a lot more interesting stuff in the movie but this was the one thing I wanted to bring up here in these forums specifically because it really rings a bell in my head. This is all very plausible you cannot deny that. And since there is no actual proof of anything in the bible other than the words written within it by people who we have no way of knowing were providing valid information, nor do we know how the languages were translated over time, I think everything I just said [from the movie "The Man From Earth"] sounds very, very plausible and I am thinking that this is very possibly fact or very close to it.

I apologize in advance to those I may have offended by the above words.

I am going to say this one time, and one time only before the thread starts getting replies:

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BIBLE BASHING BATTLE (or BBB for short, ha!), OR FLAME OTHERS FOR THEIR BELIEFS AND RUIN MY THREAD, NOT TO MENTION IT'S VERY RUDE TO INTRUDE UPON OTHERS BELIEFS IN SUCH A MANNER!

So... thoughts? Comments?

[edit on 3/4/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I just wanted to add the IMDB link for the movie (new post only because OP is completely full).

HERE is the link to IMDB's "The Man From Earth" information (characters, year made which was 2007 by the way, cast etc... you know the drill).

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Don't mean to bump my own thread here, but seriously, no one has any comments? I got flags but no comments? Please guys, I really want to have a conversation about this it's pretty intriguing stuff - yes I understand it contradicts some peoples beliefs but like I said in the OP we all are going to be civil in this thread about peoples beliefs.

So common! Post some responses people!

edit to add: and by the way, I did put a bit of time putting this together, I know it's nothing too extensive but I'd appreciate the responses really.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This movie sounds very interesting. Thank you for bringing it up. Christianity is only one of a long series of religions, including indigineous ones, coded to mean sungods and yet the actual existence of him as a man in this world is interesting. He could very well have been a starseed or walkin/hybrid, with much information/training in India/Tibet for example. Its why despite the official dates chosen being done in obvious darkside methods, and other allegations put together for the official story, his message, if it could really be attributed to a man, is love, and appeals to so many. This was used deliberately for this purpose in the duality:

I'm trying to share my views without those with strong religious beliefs, I used to be Christian, and have nothing but love and respect for the many wonderful people who are practicing belief in a "God of Love", as opposed to the actual agendas behind the religion and coding.

However its a matter of conscious and awareness to see within and realize that there are so many signs of duality in all the scriptures, Judaic, Christian, Muslim, and others, where in you see both signs of love and faith and glimpses of the Beyond, but also sanctioned wars, fascism (killing those who don't obey parents or societal rules), and cruelty that makes you realize this isn't Love. I walked away in good conscious, knowing something was being said here. I've talked to many who stay, believing its better to try and save the ship from going down than abandon ship, so sufficient to say not all christians are fundamentalists who view things literally as written, in fact most are the Catholic/Anglican/United Church and others that see the bible as symbolic. That sort of does away with their bad coding and attempts to entrap people.

Coded into all mainstream religions are this:

vigilantcitizen.com...
(please note the Pope's saturn hat at the bottom!)

and

andrew.rutajit.com...

This post is about awareness, to share some of what is being done by the darksiders, in a long term plan, as power has never changed hands, not to offend anyone.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I enjoyed this movie, it is one of the more intellectual sci-fi type flics. Although it was some time ago, I know he stated that he had worked with buddha himself and after the buddha had passed on he ventured around teaching the wisdom to others, and there is a striking similarity between the teachings of these great minds, albiet the great contortion each teaching has been subjected to over the centuries, esspecially jesus. So the movie basically claims the famous "missing years" of his life are because hes not the same person at all, the main character being 35 for almost his entire existance.

In no way am I suggesting jesus was anything like this man, but it was a genius bit of writing to work many real facts into the movie and its one where your own research can come in on top of the movies info and make the story seem even more plausible, and plausibility makes for great fiction.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Thank you both for sharing your comments. I hope to hear from more people, and I hope this thread gets some more attention because it would bring about some good discussions.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I get a weird vibe from this thread.
As if this simple minded work of fiction desires to become reality.
It's like, if I decided to make this post say, "You know what that's really a true story". It would be immediatly accepted as the truth, no questions
asked. I would immediatly be flown to New York for a ticker tape parade and everyone would be in love with me.

It's fiction.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Dont get me wrong!Im no Jesus type but I resonate with the high on bliss vibe when yea hang out in India an the Far East, I spent some time with a Shaman on the Burmese border with Thailand, and when I got back to London I lost all my strait friends including Parents my brother's an sister!
I was Attacked at a Party by jealous men who got pissed off because all there girlfriends were interested in what had changed me, all I remember is 4 guy's shouting "YOUR ONLY A MOUTH!"
See what im getting at is Jesus would of got pretty much the same reaction coming to the Middle East from India after years hanging out with Master Gurus! he would stand out among the crowd by the vibe he's given off, so the Jesus in the Movie sound's like its close to the real deal Imo!
When yea look at the so called miracles like the 5 Loaves of Bread an the 2 Fish hes talking about the 7 chakras! message! they were hungry for Spirit!
same for turning Water into Wine! they were thirsty for Spirit!
and the blind man! I was blind but now I can see! see the truth is the message!
and all Jesus said was you can be like me! but yea have to know thySELF to be free! So TPTB got rid off him or so they thought!
here is an example off switching of pain through deep Meditation from 1968!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
Don't mean to bump my own thread here, but seriously, no one has any comments? I got flags but no comments? Please guys, I really want to have a conversation about this it's pretty intriguing stuff - yes I understand it contradicts some peoples beliefs but like I said in the OP we all are going to be civil in this thread about peoples beliefs.

So common! Post some responses people!

edit to add: and by the way, I did put a bit of time putting this together, I know it's nothing too extensive but I'd appreciate the responses really.

I loved this film, one of the greatest films I've seen and it didn't rely on car chases, explosions or the end of the world o keep me interested. It relied on about seven people and a room in a house, oh and a fire place!

For me, the story wasn't about religion, that seemed more like the writers opinion over-layed on his story. It was all about pre-conceptions. The whole film tested your pre-conceptions, your truth vs false ideals, your possibility to your impossibility.

Most people watching that film will assume he's lying and that that could never happen, which to be honest, in reality is a fairly strong argument. BUT, the film makes you challenge WHY you believe that, not because it is impossible, but because from everything we know and have learnt in our quest for knowledge, we have never seen this. From what we know of the world, of the universe this is impossible.

As I said, the fact that he was Jesus was more about the writer than the character IMO, It was another way for him to get people to challenge their preconceptions. Was Jesus just a normal guy preaching a new religion he had learnt from the Buddha? I can tell you one thing. We don't know.

Great film and people need to watch it.

EMM

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I get a weird vibe from this thread.
As if this simple minded work of fiction desires to become reality.
It's like, if I decided to make this post say, "You know what that's really a true story". It would be immediatly accepted as the truth, no questions
asked. I would immediatly be flown to New York for a ticker tape parade and everyone would be in love with me.

It's fiction.

Alright... yes it's a fictional movie, but how many times have people claimed that things have been hidden within movies? Am I the first? If so yay for me!

reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

Nice response. I know the movie had much more to it than the religious part, which I tried to explain in the OP, I just found that part very interesting which is why I brought it up.

The concept of the man living for 14,000 years is very intriguing as well. Really, we'd have no way of knowing if anyone out there has done this, because like the guy in the movie, the person could move every 10 years so people don't question why he hasn't aged.

Although I have to admit that it would be very hard to survive that long obviously. The man wasn't invincible - you shoot him he would die. He just was able to heal faster (i.e. getting hurt and healing without getting a scar), which they didn't go into much detail about. But he did survive the black plague and other illnesses like the small pox which killed off a lot of people back in the days he had supposedly lived.

Obviously, nowadays he would be able to survive if he stayed up to date with medicine and such.

What I also found equally as intriguing is that he explained how he wasn't smarter than anyone else could possibly be on earth. Just because he had lived so long didn't mean he learned more than everyone else. For example, when he was a cave man, he only learned as much as a cave man could at the time, and so on and so forth. He was very smart at the time in the movie because of the education he had received in recent years, he even had taught at a university many years before the movie took place. It was cool how they ended it with the one man who was the psychologist (psychiatrist?) finding out the main character was his father...

What a good story, and a great mind must have put it together...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
i have seen it and would recommend it to everyone. It seems as plausable as the Dan Brown novels. Plus the story carries itself; no special effects and really no action and I couldn't pull myself away.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

Exactly. The movie is great but I'm sure the budget was very low since it all took place in one building, with only a few people. But the story is just... amazingly well done.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
this movie was very good and highly cheap to produce. my honest opinion about this movie is it is the best movie hollywood has put out in over 10 years.

it has a strong story line that interjects with common history. the acting was done well with good dialogue. as far as the religious context within the movie, it just falls in with the story line. if you lived through the time listed it would be hard to not have religion play a major role.

by far this movie - story is the only one in 10 years that i wouldn't have been p'ed off paying for.

all the movies now days have great CGI/effects and look great. even most of the acting is fine, but the story lines are so DULL it puts most people to sleep.

the man from earth was done very well and is worth seeing.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Exactly. The movie is great but I'm sure the budget was very low since it all took place in one building, with only a few people. But the story is just... amazingly well done.

I happy this movie had a low budget, NOT because I disliked it, the exact opposite in fact. I thought it was a great movie and it certainly didn't need any crazy special effects or huge movie stars. It is perfect just the way it is. imo

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wondering302

I happy this movie had a low budget, NOT because I disliked it, the exact opposite in fact. I thought it was a great movie and it certainly didn't need any crazy special effects or huge movie stars. It is perfect just the way it is. imo

True. The *only* thing, now looking back on the movie, that they could have added, would have been some nice scenes of him back in the periods of time he was describing... being a cave man making cave drawings... being a hunter gather etc... However, they did a good enough job as to where I pictured it all myself with my own mind, almost as if I've read a book. I guess that was the true intention of the movie, it was a story being told and it allowed the mind to create it's own workings of how everything actually looked, which I rather enjoyed. It was refreshing to actually have to use my mind during a movie instead of being told what to think and how to see it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Fantasitc movie.

Saw it a little while ago and have watched it several times since. Thought provoking.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
So believing in a 14,000 year old man who happens to be many famous people throughout history is cooler than believing in god.

Sounds like a sci-fi heavy version of Forrest Gump to me.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It is a good movie, I like it. I have netflix and it's an instant watch. It is entertaining and makes some interesting remarks. Probably means more to a Christian. The written certainly spent time thinking out some interesting points. But, I find no spiritual content only philosophy. Still, it is a good movie.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
For those that want to see the movie it is available for free download at this link :

stagevu.com...

Also there is a book "The Christ of India" :

www.4shared.com...

It is a 48 page books that states the link between Jesus and the Essenes ..

Hope it will be of help.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
So believing in a 14,000 year old man who happens to be many famous people throughout history is cooler than believing in god.

Who said that? I sure didn't. But it would be pretty riveting to meet such a person, would you not agree?

And the ideas portrayed within the movie seem plausible like I said... they sort of go along with what I've always believed. Even though I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school (only until 2nd grade though then decided to go to public school), I always asked myself questions about what I was being told to be the truth... and by which I mean the 'bible' being the only truth.

Really, one book cannot have all the answers, at least not one written physically
In the astral realm one can find all the answers they wish but I will stay on topic here and not derail my own thread.

I have nothing against people who believe in the bible, or who stick to a certain religion. But since I am not prejudice against those people, I believe I should be allowed to think for myself as well without having someone ridicule me, right? So, I think Jesus was a real person, but just a normal but extra-ordinary person with a lot to give the world. A modern day figure of Jesus would be someone who preaches love & light, at least that's the way I see it...

And if you really wish to get down too it, those who believe in the bible so heavily also believe the bible is to be interpreted in many different ways, by every individual - as each story is meant to represent many things. So, who is to say what is right and what is wrong technically? And don't say god, because no god will come and save the day and say "Hello, here are the answers to your questions."

Originally posted by lisa2012
For those that want to see the movie it is available for free download at this link :

stagevu.com...

Also there is a book "The Christ of India" :

www.4shared.com...

It is a 48 page books that states the link between Jesus and the Essenes ..

Hope it will be of help.

Thanks for adding this to the thread, I was wanting to post a link to the movie download but I only knew of places with torrents and that would be against the T&C, and illegal as well... I hope those of you who haven't seen the movie take the chance to download it and interpret it in your own way, and if you choose to do so, please reply in this thread and let us all know what you thought and if it sparked anything up for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join