It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Anatomy Inspired Stonehenge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Feb. 28, 2003: The design of Stonehenge, the 4,800-year-old monument in southwestern England, was based on female sexual anatomy, according to a paper in the current Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.

The design of Stonehenge, the 4,800-year-old monument in southwestern England, was based on female sexual anatomy, according to a paper in the current Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. The theory could explain why the ancients constructed Stonehenge and similar monuments throughout the United Kingdom.

Anthony Perks, a professor emeritus of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of British Colombia in Vancouver, and a doctor at the university's Women's Hospital, first thought of Stonehenge's connection to women after noticing how some of the stones were smooth, while others were left rough.

He noticed how the inner stone trilithons were arranged in a more elliptical, or egg-shaped, pattern than a true circle. Comparing the layout with the shape of female sexual organs showed surprising parallels.

Perks believes the labia majora could be represented by the outer stone circle and possibly the outer mound, with the inner circle serving as the labia minora, the altar stone as the clitoris and the empty geometric center outlined by bluestones representing the birth canal.

In support of the theory, the body of a sacrificial child was found buried at the center of the circles at nearby Woodhenge, suggesting both monuments followed similar layouts. Perks even speculates a child's body might lie buried at the center of Stonehenge.

Link - dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
this guy must have some sort of personal problem to come up with that idea....

arc

posted on Mar, 4 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Anthony Perks, a professor emeritus of obstetrics and gynecology

more of a profession than a personal problem I'd guess...

as to his theory itself, could be a possibility but as there was no aerial view of Stonehenge shown on that page I couldn't really tell for myself what it looks like.

However if you want to continue down that line, then maybe it represents both gender's reproductive organs - the stones themselves could be seen as somewhat phallic

posted on Mar, 4 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I recorded a documentary by another person about 2 years ago, that states this same hypothesis. I cant recall if that was a BBC, or Channel 4 production.

It seems a bit far fetched, but I'm wondering if it isn't based on the belief in the female Goddess image of Isis, later transformed into Sophia. Men worshiping the female form and internal strength arent anything new. Dr. Freud would certainly enjoy this debate, as he appeared obsessed with females and unresolved sexual fantasy and fulfilment.

More food for thought,
Deep

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Can women get ANY dumber?

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Sounds like the same study group that got grants to measure how much methane cow farts contribute to the ozone layer depletion...

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   

arc

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
what's feminism got to do with this?

the professor that put forward this theory is male, and the only woman to post in this thread so far is slightly sceptical of his hypothesis

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Probably it was professors wife who came up with the idea.

Its hilarious what some stupid people do.

Some of you "professors" proposed that the Stonehenge was build because people didn't have "anything better to do" so they thought why dont we build it and never get board ha ha!

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Another balanced and completely objective / logical observation.

Well done Girl,
Deep

arc

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
well well it's nice to see chauvanism is still alive and kicking in the modern world

stupidity is the talent of choice for people of both genders in my experience

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not exactly.

Women ARE more primitive.

To start with, their brain has fewer cells.

But that's nothing. Women tend to be more dominated by mammalian instincts in their brains. E.I they are dominated by Ego driven emotions, social games - mammalian politics as we call it - only care about personal interests and social status.

Another example: A man can fall in love with a poor girl who nobody knows as long as she's pretty.

Woman, on the other hand looks for 1. Good looks and 2. Power and status in her potential partner.

When it comes choosing between 1 and 2, mammalian instincts always overpower and she always choose the alpha male with more money and power.

Facts speak for themselves, if you don't like it there is nothing you can do about it, thats the way it is and feminists can bring thousands of tons of bollox, wont change a thing.

Men are smarter. (at least statisticaly)
You might as well get used to it.

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by Tyler]

arc

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
*laughs head off*

okay.... if you say so hun

shame I was the brightest student in my school (proved by exam results), went on to obtain a degree in civil engineering (where was rather unphased by the 10:1 male to female ratio) and actually have no interest in men with power and money. So long as a man earns his way and isn't a social doormat I have no complaint.

But then I don't have any issues with my own gender, or indeed with the gender of anyone else

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by arc
*laughs head off*

shame I was the brightest student in my school (proved by exam results), went on to obtain a degree in civil engineering

HEY "hun", there is a vast difference, vast, between education and intelligence.

arc

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
believe me I know it - as the second part of that paragraph shows

anyhow I'm curious as to what any of this has to do with Stonehenge. It appears that you seem to have certain issues with gender differences - maybe a new thread could be the answer?

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Bring it on, WOMAN

arc

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
hehehehehe

but I fight like a girl

however if your issue is with a certain brand of feminist than I actually agree with you

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You can't be an engineer on just education alone... I'd be willing to bet she's one smart cookie...

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by arc
hehehehehe

but I fight like a girl

however if your issue is with a certain brand of feminist than I actually agree with you

Its not that im against women,im against feminism.
In the last years feminism increased dramatically and its not about women and men being equal, its all about women being better than men as they claim.

Its how they like to think that theyre in charge.
When the WW3 starts (next week) we will see, who's in charge.

arc

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I know just the type you mean - and sometimes they aren't even female

had a male lecturer like that at university. Remember the ratio on my course? He kept trying to organise women-only lunches for us so we could support each other in the face of the prevailing masculinity. Unfortunately most lunchtimes we were too busy drinking beer with the lads and just getting on with being people to bother.

Men and women do have differences. Also men and men have differences, as do women and women. It's not black and white - I'd say in some respects there aren't 2 genders, there are hundreds.

(Gazrok - I'm not actually an engineer. I took the degree, passed it, messed my life up in a whole heap of ways, eventually sorted it out and ended up as a lowly civil servant. But I got that special brand of intelligence that life teaches
)

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by arc]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join