It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanford vetoes warrantless searches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Sanford vetoes warrantless searches

www.thesunnews.com

COLUMBIA -- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has vetoed a bill allowing officers to search ex-convicts on probation or parole without a warrant.

The Republican governor said he sees no evidence that giving law enforcement the additional authority would decrease crime or reduce repeat offenses.

The measure would allow officers to bypass going to a judge for a warrant before searching people on probation or parole. Ex-cons' vehicles as well as any possessions, such as a purse or book bag, could also be searched.

The bill would require the inmates sign off on the searches before the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aikenstandard.com
www.wltx.com

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Now many of you know that I am a Law Enforcement Officer and will probably expect me to see Gov. Sanford's Veto as a bad thing. Quite the opposite actually.

A Search Warrant requires Probable Cause and I see no reason why we should allow a search, even of a Convict on Parole, without that level being reached.

In my opinion, if this was to pass, it would result in searches of people for no reason whatsoever. This Bill would do nothing but enable an Officer with a grudge to have legal authority to harass someone and that is NOT what our job is.

Way to go Gov. Sanford!!!

www.thesunnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I agree with this ruling. This would be a tough decision to a lot of people. Convicts who knowingly broke the law, probably are continuing to do so (sadly), given back rights that they have abused in the past that may just actually keep us safer. So, maybe not a popular decision in some circles, but it is the right decision and needed to be done. Good job.

Also, on a personal and off topic note, I live around some not so great cops and I know that they are not the norm. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the work you do everyday. Life as we know it from day to day wouldn't be possible without you and your people out there keeping us safe.

Since you guys get a lot of slack on here I wanted to let you know that there are people who sincerely want to have the opportunity to thank you for doing what you do. Stay safe!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

They do that over here in the UK. There was a few incidents and which have been proven over police officers targeting blacks and muslims with thier stop and search policy. If they suspect you of anything they can search you without a warrant. Or they can use the Section 44, of the Terrorism Laws. Just be thankful that Governor halted this.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Thank you very much

You just made my day..

I also think we need to take into account that when they have served their time, they have paid their debt to society and should not be treated any differently then you or I...

There is just way too much chance for abuse in this Bill IMO

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
lol cops need warents?? man they can stop your car search it no warrent needed already .
dont worry cops have all there bases covered.
lets say the poster stops you now your late and cranky dont feal like being buged so your like buz off .now he tells u get out put your hands on roof of your car so you say what??????? up to now you havent broken one law its just a road check point.
so he grabs you flips you and cufs you your hauld off and the charge now wate for it wate wate 18 hours go by wate wate haVE YOU HaD a phone call yet even wateeeeee for itttt.
resisting arrest is the only charge they through on you because you said WHat???
NOW OF CORSE u can get this droped easly but after costing u days work and weeks fighting the court and 2500$ to the blood sucking leach (opps i mean lawer) well this is the normal patteren finding soemone this hasent happened to is the real hard thing now and what i just told you is the light version THIS MY FRIENDS IS A GOOD COP just look he says he is glade they struk down the idea even though he will still search your privet car and well if theres no law broken and hes pissed just slap a resisting aresst charge on you ( just to be sure you cant sure um would do to sue the boys in blue OPPS i mean BLACK

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
jail is not the answer. it typicaly makes people worse. its a vast networking system for criminals. including criminal cops. im on probation for a fight i got into when i was drunk. i know it was really stupid. it happened in the end of 2008. i have recently been turned down for jobs because of it. in california they have legal search and seizure rights on anyone who is in trouble. our system sucks plain and simple. thank god i can meditate and exist in love. i cant imagine what other people are going through.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Give me a break, man.
There's warrantless searches going on all across America and there's nothing anyone can do about it. No lawyer will take your "case".

I mean, honestly, where is your video recording, or audio recording or witnesses? After the "Cleveland Metro" security guards drag you into a back office and do a warrantless strip search because you're waiting for the bus, well is that not a warrantless search? Did you not give your consent as folks with guns ready to shoot order you into humiliating poses as passengers peek in from the waiting area to see you humiliated? Is that not a warrantless search?

The so-called "law" is a piece of paper, and it's a brittle one at best. It certainly doesn't keep me safe from anything. The only thing that keeps me safe is chance, so it's really only of matter of time before they "get" me...

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
well this is the normal patteren finding soemone this hasent happened to is the real hard thing now

Seriously? This hasn't happened to me or anyone I know. We must just be lucky then...

new topics

top topics

join