It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

On a more serious note From Above; is it not a sign of an enlightened society like Great Britain's, that so many of different colours and shapes feel welcome.

Perhaps GB has too much baggage from their past that the new "Mohammeds" don't feel welcome enough. I dunno.

I uinderstand that immigration is Europe and the US of A (Middle Eastern and Mexican, repectively) has been a problem. I want to be careful, as a Canadian, to be too pompous...who knows what the future holds, but I and most of my Occidental friends truly get a charge out of the cultural mosaic that is Canada.

We think it's really cool that there is a Punjabi hockey broadcast nationally.

Only in Canada....pity!

Jason

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
come on people, i know the history of the UK i also know the history of the US ..... BOTH countrys have done appalling things over the years, (well, the UK for a bit longer) but the bottom line is, and please remember this, you all know the historys because people lived to tell about them, lets not forget ANY history and try to learn from it
im not pround of the wrong doings the US has done in the past,......i am very proud of the alliance the UK and the US had in WWII!!

i am also very proud of the friends that i have that are "brits" and "scots" they are all very strong fighters (got into a bar fight with two of my friends from manchester, lets just say im glad they were there, i wouldnt want these two guys as enemys!!LOL)
i have never had a bad expierence meeting brits, they are great people and very proud and have a long history on this planet. i heard irish people are the same way
i just dont like it when people sterio type groups as all the same THEY ARE NOT!! there are jerks and idiots in every race on this planet. i have met people from iraq and iran that are just like me, all they want to do is live life and raise there familys quietly. thats the advantage we have now in the 21st century, even more so here in the US cuz we have people from ALL walks of life liveing here (im sure its the same way in the UK)

we all just need to get along

be save...EVERYBODY

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Haydn_17

Relax Buddy!

Nobody questions GB's great influence on the world.

The Occidental cultures certainly were far from perfect but you'll notice that Commonwealth countries tend to have: clean water systems, good roads and reasonably democratic states.

The British can be proud of what they've accomplished, even with all the warts!!

Jason

[edit on 3-4-2010 by hthjason]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
well, texas does have about 8 times the population of wales (dallas alone has nearly the population of all of whales), so it is not that surprising that it is generally more well know amongst those that don't live right next to wales. sorry to break it to you but your county's significance is dwindling perhaps even faster than the u.s. get used to people not knowing or caring about places that are significant to you.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm surprised at the tone of this discussion for ATS. I guess I was wrong to think that all ATS members see beyond the intangible and invisible perimeters we call geography. Much (not all) of what's been posted is passive aggressive nationalistic ego-stroking.

See beyond the geographic, historical, religious and cultural segregations that are used to divide us.

If you define yourself by the concept of what a nation is, by personifying it as an American, a Britain etc. then you're just another cog in the wheel of your respective zombie nation.

I hate bringing up a conspiracy theory cliche but so many in this thread are being duped by the left/right paradigm. 'I come from a land of oppressors' and 'I come from a land of the oppressed'.

Wake up, dudes. Wake up. Coca-Cola and Pepsi are both selling you carbonated sugar water at the end of the day just like let's America, England and Ireland are selling the same product of centralization of the power and the relinquishing of civil rights using the nations as their brand.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Goodness grief. You are an embarassment to Britain. If you're going to lecture our foreign counterparts, at least spell Britain and Ireland correctly!

Nothing more than a drunken, illiterate serf.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I think this thread is an example of just how deep some divisions run and also just how well sold many lies on which those divisions are based are.

For example, there has been several on this thread who shout "freedom!!" as if they are trying emulate William Wallace or something.

Seems to me many forget that for centuries, Scotland invaded and preyed upon the English borders, in fact even before England existed as a nation. Edinburgh was orignally an English city, but was taken by the Scots after a Viking invasion weakened the Kingdom of Northumbria for example.

Then there is alot of to-ing and fro-ing, but for the most part, Scotland sided itself with the French crown during their wars with England. This is what usually caused the response of English conquest as we had to secure the North otherwise the damned French would get in and ruin the place for everyone!

I also noticed some (Scots) keeping some sort of battle tally, but they seem to dodge around the Battle of Flodden, in which a much smaller English Army crushed a much larger Scottish Army and also killed the Scottish King of the time, King James IV.

The Battle of Flodden wasn't, as some might have you believe, an English invasion of Scotland, but the reverse. It was the latest in a long series of Scottish invasiosn designed to take the heat of their Frenchy friends.. But these things never get mentioned, do they? It's always England being the bad guy? Righto, whatever Alec the Salmon will have you believe...

Crack on, have independance, the quicker the better. You might think you would be rich from oil, but a signifcant amount of the rigs are actually in what would be English Waters, not Scottish. You're not even guranteed accession to the EU, whioch would basically mean you'd sink faster than the Titanic.

And while there has been significant amount of revenue added to the Treasury from "Scottish" oil, this has nearly always paled in comparison to cost of Scotland, as you see they have the highest Government spending per capita in the whole of the UK by a large margin, significantly funded by taxpayer contributions from the South.

Oil has only generated revenue for a few decades, but Scotland has been a financial burden on the English taxpayer since 1707, when our King (who was a Scot) signed the Act of Union to bail out your abortive attempts at a colonial Empire.

But go on, believe Alec the Salmons lies. He'll lead Scotland to ruin and we won't take you back if you bankrupt yourselves this time.

As you can see from this thread, the UK is anything but united. It also shows how tolerant we can be, seeing as we live on one of the most crowded islands in the world with people we all seem to hate and have done for centuries.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
come on people, i know the history of the UK i also know the history of the US ..... BOTH countrys have done appalling things over the years, (well, the UK for a bit longer) but the bottom line is, and please remember this, you all know the historys because people lived to tell about them, lets not forget ANY history and try to learn from it
im not pround of the wrong doings the US has done in the past,......i am very proud of the alliance the UK and the US had in WWII!!

i am also very proud of the friends that i have that are "brits" and "scots" they are all very strong fighters (got into a bar fight with two of my friends from manchester, lets just say im glad they were there, i wouldnt want these two guys as enemys!!LOL)
i have never had a bad expierence meeting brits, they are great people and very proud and have a long history on this planet. i heard irish people are the same way
i just dont like it when people sterio type groups as all the same THEY ARE NOT!! there are jerks and idiots in every race on this planet. i have met people from iraq and iran that are just like me, all they want to do is live life and raise there familys quietly. thats the advantage we have now in the 21st century, even more so here in the US cuz we have people from ALL walks of life liveing here (im sure its the same way in the UK)

we all just need to get along

be save...EVERYBODY

smartest post on this thread!

stars man

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Isn't Ireland the Saxon word for Island anyway?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Remember Haydn17 is a proud member of the English Defence league so I'm sure he has all his facts correct and history in check, despite providing sources for his historical information

Why does it matter if he was?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Haha that first page was great!

Thank you for trying to educate us on the U.K. or was it Britain? I am even more confused now. At least I learned some English History. The only thing they taught us about England in the public schools of America was that you guys were the best at imperialism and taxed us without representation. But at least we both speak English right? Or, do English people consider America’s language American?

Anyway good effort!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
Haha that first page was great!

Thank you for trying to educate us on the U.K. or was it Britain? I am even more confused now. At least I learned some English History. The only thing they taught us about England in the public schools of America was that you guys were the best at imperialism and taxed us without representation. But at least we both speak English right? Or, do English people consider America’s language American?

Anyway good effort!

Speak American, spell American.....what's with dropping the "u" from harbour, flavour etc.

I keep having to correct my PC!!

Jason

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
it's been mentioned many times before but how ironic that you can't even spell britain

priceless

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Whilst I support the general premise of this, OP, I do hope some American doesn't come along and gives you a lesson on how to spell 'Britain' and 'Northern Ireland'.

Also, I've long found out that most Americans don't really care anyway, even if they tend to try and use British history as a basis for what evil, cold-blooded bastards we all are. I've been down this route many times myself. I can't count the amount of times I've had to point out to Cardiac Celts whose great-great-grandfather once spent the day in Dublin that the English are rarely to blame in the way that they'd like to. That, in fact, the English are the ones that have been historically #ed over in ways that Celts don't really appreciate.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Merriman Weir]

Also don't forget that the 'English' ARE the Celts as much as the Celts are the English.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Im fed up with quite a few americans not knowing anything about us, i know Texas is a state, why dont you realise Wales, scotland and northern island is part of Britian?

Lesson

Ok this is your lesson on the British Isles, for quite a few americans who on ats who doesnt know what or where britain is.

Britian.

The Romans invaded Britian in 43AD, Great Britain had already frequently been the target of invasions, planned and actual, by forces of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire..

British resistance was led by Togodumnus and Caratacus, sons of the late king of the Catuvellauni, Cunobelinus. A substantial British force met the Romans at a river crossing thought to be near Rochester on the River Medway. The battle raged for two days. Hosidius Geta was almost captured, but recovered and turned the battle so decisively that he was awarded the ornamenta triumphalia.

The British were pushed back to the Thames. The Romans pursued them across the river causing them to lose men in the marshes of Essex.

And so the time of Roman Britain began..
Their rule officially began in AD 43 and ended in 410

---------------------------

449AD Saxons arrive in England
The newcomers spoke their own languages, which in time became a language now known as Anglo-Saxon or Old English. The Anglo-Saxons themselves called it 'Englisc'. The country taken over by the new settlers became 'England'.

516AD The Britons under a unknowen leader defeat the Saxons at Mount Badon

597AD Christianity spreads across England

1066AD William of Normandy is crowned King of England

1100AD Henry I Is crowned King of England

1114AD Henry I Invades Wales forcing Gwynedd to submit

Speeding things up now

1305AD William Wallace is executed by the English

1607AD Named for King James I of England, Jamestown was founded in the Virginia Colony on May 14, 1607

2003AD Britian joins the US on an Invasion of Iraq

2004AD 10 New states join the European Union

So thats a brief history.

Britian is: Wales, Scotland, Northern Island

Britian has around 14 overseas territories remaining from the Empire.
For example.

British Virgin Islands

www.youtube.com...

Remember this thread before you ask if Scotland is part of the UK

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Haydn_17]

Thanks for the history lesson, but I find it amusing that you can't spell Britain.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
Or, do English people consider America’s language American?

Well, we don't use the phrase "American language". if we distinguish, we would probably say "American English".

I've seen the suggestion that some language features we call "American" are actually older features of English which have been dropped on this side of the Atlantic. This could include, e.g. the word "fall" for what we are now calling "autumn", the "American" pronunciation of the last letter of the alphabet (my Devon grandmother pronounced it in just the same way); and I would add to that the word "soccer", which English people have nearly abandoned (it became redundant, because "football" now means the same thing).

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What a thoroughly depressing thread.

Jesus wept.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
Fisrt off I have to admit not knowing much about America past a bit of history and some of constitution. ohh and that I love tinkies and wendy's.

I tend to learn only that which seems relevent in my life like friends in Calafornia and Utha but as and when I need more info I will learn it. So why should Americans be expected to know everything about the UK history and culture?

Now the post that Haydn-17 put on is just a small part of the history of the UK and each date he listed is a sage unto its self. As a small Island nation the UK has a fansatic amount of history and its impact on the globe has been nothing short of amazing until the last 60 or 70 years.

I would like to add that the Scottish, Irish and Welsh have never felt or fell part of the UK. Ask most of us where we are from and we will not say the UK but we will give our respective country of birth be it Scotland, Irleand or Wales.

I worked in a call centre about 10 years ago before to outsourcing to India and English people would go mental if they got through to a "scots" speaking call centre and they would demand an English speaking person.

Some English people think that going North is going from London to the Lake district and that there nothing above that but us Scots with our hills, bagpipes, sheep and haggis.

So to single out Americans is totally wrong in my opinion ignorance is part of us all its only when we admit it and learn something new can we deny that ignorance.

I have news for you. All the English I talk to share common view. We dont feel part of the UK either. Like I said UK and Great Britain is a trade name.

Its not racist. You are bonded to the land of your birth or you should be.

A common factor of the queens subjects is a willingness to fight and die for the profit of our rulers. Time we grew up, or at least demanded a fair share.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by colin42]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
What a thoroughly depressing thread.

Jesus wept.

The most intelligent reply on this whole thread. It must be a boring day in England and UK or whatever you call it.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Here is a brief synopsis of what (I thought) I knew about Britain and the
British. FYI, I am a truck (lorry) driver from Texas.

I thought Ireland was a separate country.

The British have beans for breakfast.

Lunch is referred to as tea.

Spotted dick is a dessert, not an affliction requiring antibiotics.

You drive on the wrong side (ooops) OPPOSITE side of the road.

Crisps are chips...chips are crisps.

Riding the tube is a means of transportation, not pleasure.

You have no guns, and in central cities are heavily surveilled.

Women with British accents are hot.

You mostly all live quaint little countryside communities with picket fences
and gardens and have benevolent little aunts and uncles that help you out of
tight financial spots.

You have huge pop stars Americans have never heard of.

Cricket has a funny bat, and a funnier way of pitching the ball, (that is
all I know about that game.)

Women with British accents are hot.

You have to put the milk into the cup BEFORE you pour in the tea, else
you scald the milk.

Women with British accents are really hot.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join