It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

I like my history the way I like my Bacon and that Canadian.

lol

[edit on 3-4-2010 by whiteraven]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
You guys are hilarious.

First page of posts had me laughing out loud.

We in the USA do learn your history in school, as well as others. Some of us paid attention and remember it, too.

My big question, about Ireland in particular: Is there a North/South difference in Irish Whiskey? In particular; Bushmill's versus Jamison's?

Bushmill's is the Shiznits, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Just what is your beef with Britain? One of your recent threads implying we don't have a culture.
And your constant bringing up of the English Defence League, im getting to the point of thinking you must be a member of Unite Against Freedom, oops i mean Unite Against Facism.

You want a whole list , here we go.

200BC to 0AD Highly-skilled gold and bronze smiths create decorative objects

100BC Coins are used and produced for the first time

55BC Roman general Julius Caesar raids south east England

54BC Julius Caesar launches a full-scale invasion of England

52BC Renegade Gaulish leader Commius, who fled to Britain, founds a new kingdom

50BC to 43AD Very large settlements known as 'oppida' emerge

27BC Roman emperor Augustus plans the invasion of Britain

20BC to 43AD Roman influence grows in southern Britain

9/10AD Cunobelinus becomes king of the Catuvellauni tribe

40AD Roman emperor Caligula plans an invasion of Britain

43AD Emperor Claudius orders the invasion of Britain

44AD Roman general Vespasian captures the Dorset hill forts

47AD Iceni tribe revolt against a Roman order to surrender their weapons

49AD Roman citizen-colony is founded at Camulodunum (Colchester)

52AD Guerrilla war flares up in south east Wales

61AD Romans campaign against the druids in the far west of Britain

61AD Roman army defeats a major revolt under Boudicca

69AD Nero's death sparks mutiny of Roman army in Britain

71AD Romans conquer northern England

78AD Romans conquer Wales

122AD Emperor Hadrian orders the construction of a wall across northern Britain

163AD Antonine Wall is evacuated and Romans withdraw to Hadrian's Wall

182AD Full-scale war erupts in northern Britain

259AD Gallic Empire' is created in by the usurper Postumus

287AD Usurper Carausius declares himself emperor and seizes Britain

293AD Britain-based usurper Carausius is assassinated and replaced by Allectus

306AD Constantine is hailed as emperor by the army in Britain

367AD 'Barbarian' raiders launch a coordinated attack on Roman Britain

369AD Theodosius drives out the 'barbarians' and restores Britain's defences

383AD Magnus Maximus is hailed Roman emperor by the army in Britain

400AD Roman troops are withdrawn from Britain to defend Italy

410AD Britons send a vain appeal for military assistance to the Roman emperor

449AD Angles and Saxons arrive in south east Britain

516AD Britons under an unknown leader defeat the Angles and Saxons at Mount Badon

565 AD Columba founds a monastery on the Scottish island of Iona

597AD Augustine arrives in Kent and begins the conversion of England

616AD Æthelberht, the first Christian English king, dies in Kent

829AD Egbert, King of the West Saxons, conquers Mercia

851AD Athelstan, son of the king of Wessex, defeats a Viking fleet in battle

870AD Vikings destroy Dumbarton, stronghold of the British kings of Strathclyde

878AD Wessex is overrun by Vikings and King Alfred goes into hiding

886AD Alfred, King of Wessex, agrees a treaty with Vikings to divide England

937AD Athelstan of Wessex destroys the Viking and Scottish armies at Brunanburh

960AD Dunstan becomes archbishop of Canterbury

1016AD Cnut of Denmark becomes king of the English

1040AD Macbeth defeats Duncan I of Scotland and makes himself king

1066AD Harald Hardrada, King of Norway, invades England

1066AD Harold II defeats and kills Harald Hardrada at the Battle of Stamford Bridge

1066AD William of Normandy defeats and kills Harold II at Hastings

1066AD William of Normandy is crowned king of England

1100AD Henry I is crowned in Westminster Abbey

1114AD Henry I invades Wales, forcing Gwynedd and Powys to submit

1135AD Stephen is crowned king after the death of Henry I in Normandy

1154AD Henry II, the first 'Plantagenet' king, accedes to the throne

1216AD France invades England in support of rebel barons and John dies

1216AD Henry III is crowned king of England

1272AD Henry III dies and is succeeded by his son Edward

1305AD Scottish rebel William Wallace is executed by the English

1337AD Hundred Years' War between England and France begins

1346AD English defeat the French at the Battle of Crécy

1356AD Edward the 'Black Prince' defeats and captures John II, King of France

1399AD Henry IV is proclaimed king of England

1509AD Henry VII dies and is succeeded by Henry VIII

1547AD Henry VIII dies and is succeeded by nine-year-old Edward VI

1562AD English mariners enter into the slave trade

1588AD English disperse the Spanish Armada at the Battle of Gravelines

1600AD British East India Company receives its charter from Elizabeth I

1605AD Gunpowder Plot to assassinate James I is discovered

1620AD 'Pilgrim Fathers' sail for America in the 'Mayflower'

1653AD Oliver Cromwell makes himself Lord Protector

1655AD Britain takes Jamaica from Spain

1694AD Bank of England is established to manage mounting debts

1707AD Act of Union of England and Scotland is ratified

1718AD British convicts start being transported to penal colonies overseas

1727AD George I dies and is succeeded by the second Hanoverian king, George II

1757AD Indian province of Bengal passes into British control after the Battle of Plassey

1772AD Slavery is effectively outlawed in England

1775AD American War of Independence begins

1820AD George III dies and is succeeded by George IV

1837AD Victoria comes to the throne after the death of William IV

1854AD Britain and France declare war on Russia and the Crimean War begins

1876AD Victoria is declared empress of India

1991AD Liberation of Kuwait begins as Allies launch Operation Desert Storm

1997AD Labour wins the general election, with Tony Blair as prime minister

2000AD Britain celebrates the new millennium

I hope this will stop a few people from moaning

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

You forgot to add the English defeat at the hands of William Wallace and Andrew Moray at Stirling Bridge in 1297 and of Robert the Bruce in 1314 at Bannockburn

Of course you came back in 1746 after the Jacobite Rebellion and kicked our @rses at Culloden

Not that I'm moaning or anything....

[edit on 3/4/2010 by itchy_tartan_blanket]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by itchy_tartan_blanket

I believe the Scots also won Myton-upon-Swale in 1319.
So that makes three victories.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by Merriman Weir

"Brits oppressing the Scotch!"

Who the hell ever said that? thats not common.

Sorry but it was the "English" that oppressed the Scots and also the Irish and Welsh. Come to think of it they oppressed almost every bloody people they came in contact with.
Hm perhaps the UK should be renamed the Notunited Kingdom of the oppressor and oppressed.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

We won more battles than that including the Battle of Loudoun Hill which is about 15 miles from my home. There are a list of battles here.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by blupblup
Northern Island?

Shetland Islands?

We are proud citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Northern Island of Shetland

Is Southern Island the Isles of Scilly?

Okay, I'll stop. I'm having too much fun with geography now.

Shetland Islands? Didn't they used to be southwest of Cyprus? You know, that country off the coast of Australia, southwest of Argentina?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by piedsniper
Sorry but it was the "English" that oppressed the Scots and also the Irish and Welsh. Come to think of it they oppressed almost every bloody people they came in contact with.
Hm perhaps the UK should be renamed the Notunited Kingdom of the oppressor and oppressed.

Ahhh... this thread is so refreshing! See everybody!!! The U.S. isn't the only country in the world that does this!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by christianpatrick

yes, that was until an Arab consortium in Dubai bought the islands and dug them up, packed them, then sent them off to Scotland after officials in Dubai denied the consortium planning permission. It took them a few years to get the islands to float properly and even now many islanders suffer from chronic sea-sickness but they got there in the end.

What they did was build a few golf courses on the islands. The flags are made of a polycarbonate and stretch right from the tip of the flag, into the golf cups and attached firmly to the seabed. There are plans underway to roll this out across the UK in case of rising sea levels in the future.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have scimmed this thread very quickly which I know is wrong and I promise to read more carefully when time permits. I am guessing how this thread has gone and would like to give my view of Great Britain.

Great Britain is a brand name. It consists we are told of England, Scotland, and Wales. That is not the truth.

It is run by the ruling elite. The Upper classes and the rest are considered by the ruling class as fodder.

We are told that the class system no longer exists. Bull crap but the fodder believes what it is told.

We are known as the bull dog breed (mainly a name we call ourselves) but in fact the lower classes are poodles (see special relationship with USA). We do as we are told.

Yes GB punches above its weight. Yes we are a warrior race but the blood spilt is working class and the victories in the past benifit only the rich.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
In fact, the Romans first arrived in 55BC but that was the failed invasion from Caesar.

43AD was the conquest from Claudius. Britain was in a state of Celtic warfare at the time, and historical debate surrounds the notion of a Celtic king asking for Roman assistance.

Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni, led the infamous revolt in 60AD. Boudicca is what the female icon of Britannia is based on. Don't know how you can forget to mention her during the Roman occupation.

Legend states a descendent of Noah, was the first inhabitant and populated the Islands (a female descendent, in the Celtic myth, went to Ireland) The first king of the Britons, was Brutus of Troy (that is where the word Briton, apparently comes from) Brutus is the grandson or great grandson of Aeneas.

You've glossed over significant events: The Gun power plot, War of the Roses, Spanish Armada, 100 years war with France, Crusades, Glorious Revolution, the reformation, Commonwealth, Magna Carta, Act of Union, Napoleonic Wars, Restoration of the Monarchy, industrial revolution, assassination of Thomas Beckett, The Reform Act, the Suffragettes, American War of Independence, Colonization of India, scramble for Africa, War of 1812, British East Indian Company, the slavery trade, Jamestown Settlement, Peasant Revolt. I can literally list another 100 significant events.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by infinite]

Why do you bore us with critical facts of English[and therefore) American history? We Americans from Texas are obviously too stupid to breath!
Please, sir? Kick me in the chest again? Sorry, didnt mean to disturb your "tea time".

Maybe the op needs some help with history?

star for you friend!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The point is, the English cannot be trusted, just check the history of them..

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
And I thought it was us "Canuckleheads" that had the inferiority complex (or is that simplex?). Mate, lemme tell ya, living next to this elephant isn't always easy.
I'm on a border town (Sarnia, Ontario/Port Huron, Michigan) and have lots of interaction with my Yankee friends. Far and away, most of them have at least rudimentary knowledge of us. It used to be that their basic cable TV packages had CBC and Hockey Night in Canada for some Canadian culture lessons.
It is fun though, to deal with Americans that can't even point out their own State's Capital. We've been dealing with the insular stereotypical American for years and most Canadians shrug it off, however, we're probably the Kings of Inferiority and can provide some guidance to you.
GET OVER IT!!! After TSHTF new history will start.

Jason

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Decent premise for educating us yanks, but you left off a couple of pretty key dates . . .

19 April 1775 -- Minutemen and Redcoats clash at Lexington & Concord

25 November 1783 -- British troops leave New York City

Hope that helps!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
all this because I seen a meteor.

Also.
I am Scottish.

Stick the UK, Britain or whatever you want to call in in a drawer.

Independance !!
Freeeeedddooommmmeeeee !!!

[edit on 3/4/2010 by shauny]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The English aren't really English as so many invasions have happened and so many different races were mixed into them. Now the UK is being assimilated by the middle eastern peoples so that Mohamed is now the most [popular name for new born baby boys. What a pity that not only have they lost their empire but now they're losing there nation as well. So it really doesn't matter what Whales is, or London, cause all those names will be changed after they install an Islamic government and institute Sharia law. I guess I'm trying to say that English history ain't worth much these day is it ? How much of it is really English at all ?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Fisrt off I have to admit not knowing much about America past a bit of history and some of constitution. ohh and that I love tinkies and wendy's.

I tend to learn only that which seems relevent in my life like friends in Calafornia and Utha but as and when I need more info I will learn it. So why should Americans be expected to know everything about the UK history and culture?

Now the post that Haydn-17 put on is just a small part of the history of the UK and each date he listed is a sage unto its self. As a small Island nation the UK has a fansatic amount of history and its impact on the globe has been nothing short of amazing until the last 60 or 70 years.

I would like to add that the Scottish, Irish and Welsh have never felt or fell part of the UK. Ask most of us where we are from and we will not say the UK but we will give our respective country of birth be it Scotland, Irleand or Wales.

I worked in a call centre about 10 years ago before to outsourcing to India and English people would go mental if they got through to a "scots" speaking call centre and they would demand an English speaking person.

Some English people think that going North is going from London to the Lake district and that there nothing above that but us Scots with our hills, bagpipes, sheep and haggis.

So to single out Americans is totally wrong in my opinion ignorance is part of us all its only when we admit it and learn something new can we deny that ignorance.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowArcher
This is a rather pointless, and somewhat inflamatory thread. Ok, the fact that Wales, Scotland and NI are part of the UK isn't a difficult concept, but why would Americans know it? I don't know all the states - hell, I couldn't even draw the rough shape of America! I couldn't care less about the structure of a country halfway round the world, why should they? I can see this thread degenerating rapidly into the same old crap of 'we saved your asses' and so on.

Also, I think actually whoever said Britain is just this island (excluding NI) is partially right. Hence, the full name being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. 'Britain' is not officially the correct term for the whole UK. Picking nits, but if you want to lecture the Americans, you should perhaps get it right yourself - and certainly spell it right.

Sorry but as Canadian, we own the "saved you ass" (X2) phrase when talking to the French.

BTW I saw in Maxim magazine that the most common foreign phrase in France is: "Where can I join the French army, I have my nown white flag"?

Just kiddin' mes amis!!

Jason

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Ya think this is a good comparison?

i.imgur.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join