It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Apparently its not britain anymore.

Hail The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by Merriman Weir

"Brits oppressing the Scotch!"

Who the hell ever said that? thats not common.

Really? I take it then you're not familiar with the thinking of many 'Irish-Americans' and 'Scottish-Americans' then. I've seen the Brits = English thing used many, many times in this context.

Would I be wrong in ascertaining that you claim to be of Irish ancestry rather than English? If that's the case, perhaps that's why you don't see it.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

The English are rarely to blame? So after 800 or so years of oppression in Ireland ( Or "Island" as the OP says!
) where so many innocent people were murdered, when Irish rebels retaliated in an effort to reclaim what was rightfully theirs, they were unjustified? That England were the ones who were f*cked over?

Come on now, you're living in la la land if thats what you think. It wasn't just the early years at the hands of Cromwell that innocents suffered, but well into the 1900's. The black and tans were basically just ex-cons and murderers in uniform. My own great-grandmother was forcibly removed from her home and watched it burn when she was a child for no other reason than she was Irish and alive.

Anyway, water under the bridge now. I'm from the Rebublic of Ireland, and believe me I have nothing against the English at all, but when people say stupid things like that I would like to correct them. From what I've heard, English history books tend to forget the atrocities carried out by the English invaders of Ireland, and I'm sure the same goes for Scotland and Wales, however I know nothing of their history really.

Also OP, you live next door......its IRELAND, not ISLAND. The irony of you correcting the Americans and you cant even spell your own country's name nor part of the country it never left.

Sorry If I have misunderstood you, but I don't think I have tbh.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by fedupofitall]

[edit on 3-4-2010 by fedupofitall]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

"Brits oppressing the Scotch!"

Who the hell ever said that? thats not common.

Really? I take it then you're not familiar with the thinking of many 'Irish-Americans' and 'Scottish-Americans' then. I've seen the Brits = English thing used many, many times in this context.

Would I be wrong in ascertaining that you claim to be of Irish ancestry rather than English? If that's the case, perhaps that's why you don't see it.

I was born and raised in england, as were my family for hundreds of years. execpt a few stragglers from scotland.

you didn't think i was american?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This is a rather pointless, and somewhat inflamatory thread. Ok, the fact that Wales, Scotland and NI are part of the UK isn't a difficult concept, but why would Americans know it? I don't know all the states - hell, I couldn't even draw the rough shape of America! I couldn't care less about the structure of a country halfway round the world, why should they? I can see this thread degenerating rapidly into the same old crap of 'we saved your asses' and so on.

Also, I think actually whoever said Britain is just this island (excluding NI) is partially right. Hence, the full name being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. 'Britain' is not officially the correct term for the whole UK. Picking nits, but if you want to lecture the Americans, you should perhaps get it right yourself - and certainly spell it right.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tempesillest
Ok just one thing I have always been confused about. So you say that Great Britian is compose of England, Scotland, And Wales. Would these be considered countries or parts of a country such as a state, but isn't Great Britian also considered a country. Also you say that northern island(or Ireland as i know it) is part of it. Would this be a piece of Ireland, but Ireland not being a whole country itself but split up into different sections? And only northern Ireland but not Ireland as a whole being part of Great Britian. Just kind of confused about that whole situation.

Oh and by the way I applaud you for knowing that Texas is actually a state, so now you pretty much know everything about the US then.

The easiest way to think of it is as a series of unifications or 'coming togethers' than terms like states and so on. It's the extra terms that really add to the confusion.

England and Wales come together first, then Scotland gets added (creating the Kingdom of Great Britain), then Northern Ireland gets added which now creates the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or 'United Kingdom' for short.

As to who actually rules who, that's a whole can of worms that many Americans - particularly those who claim Irish or Scottish ancestry - don't really appreciate or understand.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As someone pointed out, the OP is a proud member of the EDL and this is clearly obvious when one reads his atrociously written OP.

Britian?

Northern Island?

Why do you even bother...

Also if you're going to copy your article, OP, you should at least put some sources ya know?

Don't wanna be accused of plagiarism

[edit on 3/4/10 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowArcher
This is a rather pointless, and somewhat inflamatory thread. Ok, the fact that Wales, Scotland and NI are part of the UK isn't a difficult concept, but why would Americans know it? I don't know all the states - hell, I couldn't even draw the rough shape of America! I couldn't care less about the structure of a country halfway round the world, why should they?

I think the reasoning of this is because many Americans can be far more vocal about al this, rather than the other way around, because they believe they have a vested interest due to either claiming to be the sons and daughters of some oppressed people or other or that the British Royalty (and by that they often really only think in terms of English) is behind 'the Powers that Be'. As a result, they often become 'experts' on the subject of British history.

I can see this thread degenerating rapidly into the same old crap of 'we saved your asses' and so on.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I applaud the OP for what he was trying to do.

However I think the fact you did it in a bit of an uppity way and actually spelt Northern Ireland wrong, means it has backfired in your face.

All the British members have now resorted to tearing chunks out of each other over the correct term to use for the country.

I also agree that you missed out significant historical events.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I dont see how that is relevent to this thread.

Where was it mentioned in his post in this thread?
Peoples political/religous beliefs etc dont need to be discussed in this thread.
Unless the purpose was simply to derail the thread.

thread.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Just to throw a spanner into the works again, it seems we are all wrong

Is Great Britain the same as Britain?

Sometimes people use the shorten name Britain instead of Great Britain, to mean the same thing, but really Britain only refers to England and Wales.

The name Britain goes back to Roman times when they called England and Wales "Britannia" (or "Britannia Major", to distinguished from "Britannia Minor", ie Brittany in France). The Roman province of Britannia only covered the areas of modern England and Wales. The area of modern Scotland was never finally conquered.

Britain

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I don't think the point was to give a full history, just some odd bits and pieces along the way. And to clarify for own part, I simply wanted to point out that if someone is going to give such a lecture, the facts should be exactly right - giving 'facts' that are not actually facts while trying to 'educate' Americans, is no better than the Americans calling England Britain.

The OP might be surprised at how hard it can be to grasp concepts even as simple as this, for people who are so far away and have no reason or desire to. Actually, the fact that so many British themselves are arguing here rather supports my point.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by ShadowArcher]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I would say the thread was derailed from minute one, when people started bickering about whether we lived in the United Kingdom or Great Britain or the Great Kingdom or The United Britain and whatever other petty arguments have broken out.

I was merely adding my tuppence worth and figured I'd mention the OP's political leanings...

Thanks for your concern though

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

reply to post by Cytokine_Strom

You are going to quote me on my OWN country. from Wikipedia?

Not only Have you made a fool of youself by quoting something you dont actually know.

i can also quote wikipedia to "prove" that i am right.

that fact that you had to look it up on wikipedia first shows that you dont know what the F*** you are talking about.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland[note 7] (commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain)"
en.wikipedia.org...

Since you wont take the word of an educated englishman. here is a quote from your beloved wikipedia.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by MR BOB]

uhmm...there are alot of people here in the US, that would like england to annex texas and have it be a part of great britian...they actually have big signs in that state that announce "PLEASE DO NOT ENTER CARRYING FIREARMS"

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

not really derailing when its entirely on the same subject is it?

lots of people learned something in it. and it seems the latest post has given quite some clarity.

Where as dropping EDL into your post, can only be meant as one thing. Intentional Defamation of the OP.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Northern Island?

Shetland Islands?

We are proud citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Northern Island of Shetland

Is Southern Island the Isles of Scilly?

Okay, I'll stop. I'm having too much fun with geography now.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I'm British myself and lets be honest here; only England actually matters.

Take England out of the picture and you have a handful of scarcely populated and weak provinces.

England's population now is about 52 million people. That is 5 times more than all of other parts of the UK combined.

What really bugs me in particular are the Scots. Always screaming for independence from the "snobby and weak" English.

The facts is England does not need you! Without England Scotland would be crippled financially.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by jonny2410]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

The Great Kingdom from Dungeon & Dragons? My God!

WE'VE BEEN LIED TOO!

The Great Kingdom arose from the Kingdom of Aerdy in -110 CY, when the Aerdi forces of Grand Prince Almor II defeated the Nyrondese in the Battle of a Fortnight's Length. Aerdy nearly doubled in size, and was thereafter known as the Great Kingdom, though its ruler still held the old nationial title and office of Grand Prince. Despite the new moniker, power in the new empire would not become truly centralized until 1 CY, when Grand Prince Nasran I declared universal peace throughout the land and took the title of Overking of the Great Kingdom of Aerdy.

Great Kingdom

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

uhmm...there are alot of people here in the US, that would like england to annex texas and have it be a part of great britian...they actually have big signs in that state that announce "PLEASE DO NOT ENTER CARRYING FIREARMS"

Excellent- change of subject. Would any Texans like to comment on whether they would rather have an English connection or a Yankee connection?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

not really derailing when its entirely on the same subject is it?

Well if people from the UK/GB/England or wherever we're calling it, can't even agree on what It's called or It's history... then what hope do Americans have? Or anyone else for that matter.

Instead of singling out a nation and then completely screwing up your facts and grammar and spelling, perhaps the OP should have just made an informative post on the history of the United Kingdom of Great Britain or whatever?

As it stands it's just a ridiculous attempt to cause an argument when it's clear that even the people on this thread (Brits) can't decide what it's called either?

See the irony?

Where as dropping EDL into your post, can only be meant as one thing. Intentional Defamation of the OP.

The OP needs no help from me.

His OP set the tone.

Again, Thanks though

Instead of trying to argue with me, how about you get on and decide what the name of this Empire we call home is?

Cheers.

I''m off to watch the Football.

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join