It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

Quite. I try to read from multiple sources and then piece it together, but as with everything, history is written by the winners so it can be hard to get to the truth sometimes.

Thankfully, modern historians tend to be somewhat less biased these days than in the past, so you can get a balanced, if not completely 100% truthfull, view.

I actually really like the Welsh, as it happens. We're probably closer to each other than we are with the Scots.

The Welsh are essentially those Britons who fought against the Anglo-Saxons and fled West.

They share the same language as the Bretons and Cornish, who are also historical Britons. Most English are also historically and genetically ancient Britons too, recent genetic studies back this up, but we lost the Brythyonic language of Conrwall, Wales and Brittany with the Anglo-Saxon conquest.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
i do not lie, so im not going to tell you that. haha!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

like i say, i have no personal hate for the english, since we tend to be pretty terrible in world football, there is no rivalry for me there, of course i support the welsh when it comes to rugby, but i have no more hate for the english than i do for any other team, if any at all, i think its just a certain mentality here to just hate the english because others do, down here in the valleys we are unfortunatily very racist also.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

It's pointless to hate based on things that happened hundreds of years ago, but I know what you mean. You have you big Valley men who despise the English just because and we've got our own knuckleheads who do the same.

But I think all this "hatred" between us washes away pretty damn quickly when we face an external threat, it's almost as if we only bash on each other to keep ourselves fresh for the next time the French or Germans come knocking,

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
yeah i suppose, not too many take it seriously anyway, they apparently hate the english yet have some english friends? following the crowd much?
in respect to you, i'm going to add you as a worthy foe on ATS, i would add you as a friend, but thats not in the spirit of the anglo-welsh rivalry haha

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

Haha, no worries chap!

I once bumped into a skinhead type in a pub who claimed to be a rabid BNP member. After spouting some racist nonsense at our table, he got up to back to his game of pool with a huge black fella, who it turned out, was one of his best mates!

Confused? I'd say so!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
the human mind is a never ending maze..

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDutch

Neither can the Americans, ask any north American Indian.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

ha

sounds like a lad I used to know, he was a skinhead, self professed neo nazi, swastikas tattoed on him etc

strangely enough he was also Jewish, and was a regular at temple/synagogue

There are a lot of confused fella's on these great british isles it seems

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
sure is, sure is, but then again, you do live in GLASGOW haha, are you sure he wasn't drunk? or even were you drunk :p

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
ach and I thought we were working our issues out in this thread
and here you go plastering me with stereotypes

although come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen him when he's drunk

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by maintainright
ach and I thought we were working our issues out in this thread
and here you go plastering me with stereotypes

although come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen him when he's drunk

And you weren't stereotyping skinheads?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
So the Scottish are actually British?
cool, next time I run into a Scott I'll make sure I remind them.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
So the Scottish are actually British?
cool, next time I run into a Scott I'll make sure I remind them.

Of course Scots are British, why wouldn't they be?

Next time you meet one?

I'll go and ask my next door neighbour, or the guy down the road, or the guys in the pub tonight who are going to try and wind me up whilst we watch England play Mexico or maybe the lots of Scottish friends I have, some of whom still live in Scotland, some of whom don't.

The vast majority of them consider themselves as British as what I am.
(Some of them just don't like to admit too often though, lol.)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

eh no, I was giving a description of a person I know, he is a skinhead

no need to try and be smart here

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

I am not trying to be smart, and who are you to call me on it?

All I was pointing out was that you were maintaining a stereotyped image of Skinheads....which is so way off the mark of lot's of Skinheads.

However, I did see the irony in what you were posting.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
so whats the difference between England, Britain, Great Britain and United kingdom ?

might be a dumb question but im keen for answers.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
so whats the difference between England, Britain, Great Britain and United kingdom ?

Great Britain is the island- "great", really, because it is larger than Brittany. For the French, they're "Bretagne" and "La Grande Bretagne".
England- part of island.
United Kingdom- whole nation, Great Britain, Ulster, and various other islands.

Britain- imprecise term, probably most often used as another word for nation.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

so according to you I cant offer an accurate description of someone?

and of course I can call you on it, you commented on my post

let's no argue mate, lifes to short

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join