It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Well seeing as I didn't even know that 'American English' was a term used at all before now, it didn't bother me that much to begin with so go for it. I'm just wondering, do I have to re-fill out all those forms that I've put my language as 'English'? It is for this reason that I really would prefer that the English use 'Englisher' or something to that effect... more convenient for me, and that's what it's all about in the first place, right?

Apparently so!

Aren't you familiar with terms like US English and American English on language packs for software and the like?

Oh, I just had a thought. Since the Germans like to call the British 'Britishers' and I just proposed that English English be called 'Englisher', why don't we all just call you and your language 'er'. For example, "Those ers really do like to speak their er." Of course, we have to be careful not to confuse the people and their language 'er' with the sound one makes when expressing hesitation or uncertainty, but I think we can work around that.

Erm, that's why I suggested that we don't call English 'Englisher'. I take it you didn't understand my post at all?

'English -u' ? You won't be surprised by this, I'm sure, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Although, just by the looks of it, seems to me that, thinking of the forms again, it would be a bit hard for the people responsible for data entry of them.

I was referring to the lack of the use of the letter 'u' in American English. English minus the u as opposed to English with the u added.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee
reply to post by itchy_tartan_blanket

" especially the French Canadians. Just joking. "

Can't speak for the Quebecois (I only married one) but they never seem to take kindly to such a jab, unless it's in both French and English.

Hilarious!
my ex was from Perth in Canada and explained a lot. I understand the deal with the Quebecois.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I love this thread... Its always good to have a laugh for a change.. You always find that when Brits start a thread like this.. It always turns into good humored fun... We even had one guy call David Beckham a quarterback lol...

And @Ladyinwaiting..... High tea at the Ritz is something you simply MUST do if you come here... I have to say that I go there for tea and scones when I'm in London... Then take in a West End show.. You can get deals for that off lastminuet.com... Which is probably the most gayest thing i have said this year so far

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Well seeing as I didn't even know that 'American English' was a term used at all before now, it didn't bother me that much to begin with so go for it. I'm just wondering, do I have to re-fill out all those forms that I've put my language as 'English'?

I think you can stay with "English". At the moment, it's only a regional dialect rather than a whole new language. Just as the Bavarian version of German is still German.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Question: Why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, like the rest of the world?

Question: Why do you guys use the metric system which is wrong, like the rest of the world?

Question: Why do you guys not drive gigantic gas guzzlers, not have racial issues, not think you're the only country on the planet, and not get fat as hell?

Question: Why do you guys riot over soccer?

Question: Are we there yet?

Question: Do you mind that I impersonate your various accents on a daily basis?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NEWclearMind
reply to post by Haydn_17

Why? Because without the USA you'd be speaking German now. When do British films gross a billion dollars? Never. You watch our movies, listen to our music, and try to copy us daily. So, that is why I care to learn nothing about the nanny state. By the way, immitation is the purest form of flattery.

P.S. You suckers shouldn't have given up your guns!

WOW another brainwashed or should i say brainless big-headed american

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyleOrtonArmy

Question: Why do you guys use the metric system which is wrong, like the rest of the world?

I'm an old man, I'm still using feet and inches and fahrenheit.

Question: Why do you guys not drive gigantic gas guzzlers, not have racial issues, not think you're the only country on the planet, and not get fat as hell?

On the contrary, we do all these things.

Because they won't let us have guns

All of them? I'm very impressed, Professor Higgins.
Give us an example of the "Fenland".

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

I'm an old man, I'm still using feet and inches and fahrenheit.

On the contrary, we do all these things.

Because they won't let us have guns

All of them? I'm very impressed, Professor Higgins.
Give us an example of the "Fenland".

Hey buddy I didn't say all of them. I was actually just making fun of my home, the US.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Hey buddy I didn't say all of them. I was actually just making fun of my home, the US.

OK, I'll let you off.
I assume one of the regular accents is Cockney, I suspect a lot of Americans will try that one.
In the Disney film "The Sword in the Stone", even the Wart's aristocratic step-brother seems to speak Cockney, which is absurd (the equivalent of a Brooklyn-speaking plantation owner)

[edit on 4-4-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I thought that was what you were doing, then I wondered whether I was misunderstanding.

I really can't tell in this thread any more: I'm no longer sure what's a joke and what isn't.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
Aren't you familiar with terms like US English and American English on language packs for software and the like?

Does it surprise you that I didn't even think about software language packs? But, now that you mention it, yes US English is familiar whereas, American English, the term we were discussing, is not in the least familiar.

Erm, that's why I suggested that we don't call English 'Englisher'. I take it you didn't understand my post at all?

You were talking about the fact that the Germans liked to call the British 'Britishers' and it would confuse the point if Americans started calling the British language 'Englisher', right? My proposal - everyone start calling the British people AND the British language 'er'. As in, you are an 'er' that speaks 'er' (and just get rid of the confusion point of the beginning of the words). BUT, you either intentionally or unintentionally illustrated my own point of the drawback of this naming convention in your above question and even though you added the m at the end of your expression of hesitation "Erm", I'm afraid that this is a fatal flaw in my proposal.

I was referring to the lack of the use of the letter 'u' in American English. English minus the u as opposed to English with the u added.

I almost started to say that, yes, we do use 'u' alot but then I realized what you were talking about... like when you misspell things by adding an extra “u” or using an “s” instead of a “z”.
Never heard it called 'English +u', is that in the software language pack too?
Another option along these same lines could be 'English +z-s' .

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I really can't tell in this thread any more: I'm no longer sure what's a joke and what isn't.

I can assure you that I have no intention of instituting a name change for the British people or their language so don't worry.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
My favorite accents to try and replicate are the London ones. I LOVE the inner city London accent, and some of the posh ones are awesome as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

My favorite accents to try and replicate are the London ones. I LOVE the inner city London accent, and some of the posh ones are awesome as well.

It sounds like you know them close at hand-from direct experience, I take it. I hope you enjoyed your time spent in London- as a country boy at heart, I was very glad to get out.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Fine then, if thats how you feel, Wales would quite happily seperate from the rest of the nation, in fact, i can bet that Scotland and Northern Ireland would quite like to seperate too.

Then you would be all alone, and then we just might form together, making you the outsiders for a change.

FYI we all have a practically seperate goverment from your Central Parliment.

Wales has The National Assembely, and Scotland The Independant Parliment......so if you feel you dont need us, well we might as well just get going.

Oh and btw, Wales is far nicer than England.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

It sounds like you know them close at hand-from direct experience, I take it. I hope you enjoyed your time spent in London- as a country boy at heart, I was very glad to get out.

No unfortunately I don't have direct experience, I just import alot of british media, and the only news channel I watch is bbc (not for the news, just for the accents). I also look at alot of dialect training type stuff for english accents. Alot of different accents actually. I'm not that good but for some reason I find dialects and accents incredibly interesting. Yeah, people call me weird.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Well I am a American of English ancestry, origins not far from London and although I do not appreciate the prose of the OP the thread has been interesting. I do not think there is a single people, race, or country that can claim to be free of oppressing or being oppressed. The difference is at what time in history did your people revel in it or revile it. These times seem to cycle so soon I would believe that conquering will become in vogue again. I believe that Alexander was right that blood binds. Given long enough and through intermarriage and mixing blood disparate peoples become one people. Just think of the tribes and peoples that make up your heritage that you no longer refer to as part of your identity, or the rivals that you see as separate but at one time where the same people.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
A Quick Clarify:
British Isles=Great Britian, Ireland and 6000 smaller Islands en.wikipedia.org...
United Kingdom=Great Britian,Northeastern Ireland en.wikipedia.org...
Great Britian=England, Scotland, Wales en.wikipedia.org...
Britian=Original name for England,Wales,Scotland,Ireland as seen by the Greek Pytheas en.wikipedia.org...

clears thing s up without the need to drag up history of the Isles. Yes we have had badtimes and good times which makes....We The People Of The British Isles (England,Ireland,Scotland,Wales and all the other Peoples of our Isles).......Level headed and fully aware of our emotions.
Our History has been bloody but then so has every other nation in the world. Difference is we try to learn from our history and improve our Isles...........PLATO would be proud.

It's just a shame the Colonies didn't wait 100 years or so before their Tea Party....So they had a Parliament in place when they did, instead of their 2 party autonomy which seems to be strangling their economy.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Look, at the end of the day we're all British.

We're the best.

Rule Britannia!

Hahaha only kidding! But can't we all just get along?

Ignore our embarrassing cousins across the pond!

Just joking, I love you guys really. I just like to give you a bit of a ribbing now and then!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Thanks! Didn't know that"

I'm excited to think I might share an ancestor with Charlize Theron.

I see some family resemblance.

Of course not with the Red Carpet Charlize, but the one from "Monster".

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join