It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Indescribable Feeling of Nostalgia.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Ahh nostalgia! Yup I get this and sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes not so much. I recently went out shopping and had to leave a store because the music in there made me think of a time that was really bad for me. There are a few songs I cant listen to because of the nostalgia that goes along with it. I can think of the day, month, year and everything that happened at that time...Things I would like to forget.

Its pretty interesting how sounds and images of certain things trigger senses in the brain.

S&F

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
A s&f for trip down memory lane. And stars for all that responded.

I gotta tell you for me it's smells. For instance, my maternal grandfather wore Vitalis (sp?). Smelled some the other day in a store...and turned to look...thinking he was there...

He's been dead for 20 years, but I was sure he was there. Couldn't find anybody that was wearing it anywhere near me.

Went home, got the .22 out thaty he taught me to shoot with, and went plinking.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

im not 100% sure, but i think the direction you are facing is involved. i base that on my own experiences.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It's interesting that most people seem to be describing their nostalgic feelings as pleasant on the whole or at least mostly.

For me nostalgia is always a source of discomfort and profound sadness. It brings about a sense of longing for times, people, and places long gone, and a feeling of displacement from the present. Most of my nostalgia involves periods of my life fraught with sad or painful events, though. That may be why, I suppose.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
whenever i play my epiphone goth thunderbird bass i think of all the music ive heard in my life, all the songs i've written and am writing and ever will write. i see the past the future and the horizon is so far behind that in front of me is the all the galaxies and stars in the sky. nostalgia also brings about the creative instinct be it music, art, crafts. it also brings out the more instinctive areas of the psyche as well.

this is just my observation. not fact

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I am booting up my NES to play Super Mario Bros. 3 as we speak

For me it is the old school video games, nothing like some NES and Atari 2600 to make me relive my early childhood. Certain smells for me are also strong triggers! Strong enough that it kinda knocks me back almost, makes my . dizzy for a quick second with how much I can suddenly remember.

Good topic!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cantthinkofaname
I am booting up my NES to play Super Mario Bros. 3 as we speak

For me it is the old school video games, nothing like some NES and Atari 2600 to make me relive my early childhood. Certain smells for me are also strong triggers! Strong enough that it kinda knocks me back almost, makes my . dizzy for a quick second with how much I can suddenly remember.

Good topic!

I have a Pong...is that dating myself? Guessing most here have never played one. Come to think of it my grandfather bought it for me...and we played for hours.

I agree that sometimes nostalgia is a bit depressing...like thinking that I could have bought that AAR 'Cuda for $3,000.00 and retired on the profits today.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
made me think of a time that was really bad for me. There are a few songs I cant listen to because of the nostalgia that goes along with it.
Its pretty interesting how sounds and images of certain things trigger senses in the brain.

S&F

I know how you feel about that bad nostalgia feeling as well. It could be the sound of a certain ring tone that used to annoyingly wake you up every morning. That's a really big one for me. Also, the sounds of an old workplace or reminders of a person you didn't get along with. yep.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
For me nostalgia is always a source of discomfort and profound sadness. It brings about a sense of longing for times, people, and places long gone, and a feeling of displacement from the present. .

Absolutely. One that really gets to me is old video game music. It makes me feel like, "where did the time go?" It makes me want to be a kid again with no worries, just sitting there enjoying some great video games.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Definitely music for me. The annoying thing i find though, is that the music will take you back to childhood for example when you first listened to that piece of music, but there is always a really awesome emotion attatched to it which i get a quick taste of, but can't quite grasp it or place it, and then it's gone. Anyone else get this??

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
im not 100% sure, but i think the direction you are facing is involved. i base that on my own experiences.

Great point brought up there! Subconsciously, every time I move into a new place or new room, I always orient it according to my very first room back home. Bed on the right side, facing the window. I even put up my same posters I've had since I was 7 in roughly the same positions in the room. It's great waking up to the same basic orientation of a room back home. It's comforting.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bargoose
always a really awesome emotion attatched to it which i get a quick taste of, but can't quite grasp it or place it, and then it's gone. Anyone else get this??

Yup. For me, nostalgia lasts for usually about 5 to 10 seconds, and then its gone. It's such a short but sweet fleeting moment. It is really hard to obtain nostalgia if you are trying for it. It just kinda happens when it wants to. But when you do get the feeling, like I said in the title in this thread, it is an indescribable feeling.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
In the US there are many franchise bars and eateries that have nostalgia decor. I suspect it is a proven marketing tool.

Could it be that there is a conspiracy hidden in this thread?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rotorwing

That's a really good point! I never thought of it like that, but its totally true! Think of all the remakes of movies, and also sampling old songs in today's music! awesome contribution rotorwing!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Truly a great idea for a thread. I'm not in contact with any of my friends
I grew up with. Trying to tell people I know today, about the way things were for me growing up is really hard.
I often wish there was someone that I could say, "Remember when" to.
I had a very colorful life growing up. So damn much fun it's a sin. All the
people I use to know are either dead, hiding, gone or just plain fell off the edge. The last time I drove by the house I grew up in. I pulled my truck
over it got so bad. I won't do that to myself anymore. I guess that would be more of a longing huh. Anyway.

That's what nostalgia does for me. Makes me miss a lot.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Truly a great idea for a thread.

yes, and I was very surprised to see there didn't seem to be any threads on this when I used the search function. Usually there is a pretty comprehensive slew of threads and topics already covered on this site, and it makes me happy when I can make a topic that hasn't been discussed yet.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think we get the feeling of nostalgia when we subconsciously realize we are going to die.

I believe we have time indefinite in our hearts. We think that things will always be the same, when we are kids. We grow older and realize that everything is temporary.

These moments in time are gone forever, and now only exist in our selective memory. Friends and loved ones at some point leave us, in one way or another. We may regret things we did or didn't do. We may long to go back to a simpler time, and we can't. When we are young we have our whole lives a. of us, the possibilities are limitless. Our cells reproduce and we grow to adulthood.

Now our metabolism slows, and we feel life slipping through our fingers.

Fortunately, we have marketing companies who target us when we are at our maximum earning and spending potential, to get us to by movies, music, and collectibles, to remind us of better days.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by dusty1]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I've had this feeling a lot over the past five or so years. I've even started listening to 80's songs and watching all the old 80's and mid 90's movies just to "remind me".

It's a good feeling. It almost feels "safe" I guess.

But I think for a lot of us, at least for me, I'm a child of the 80's so in a way, I want to return to a simpler time for me. I want to shed myself of all these adult worries and just feel free, feel like the world was a huge place again with much to explore.

But that's just me.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Oh man I definitely know that feeling and I'm kinda scared of it. Not solely because of some bad memories in the past,but because I might become obsessed with the past. Recently I noticed that as time passes by life seems to get worse and I'm not just talking about my life. I remember feeling that the world was a better place back in the 90s,then bad things start to happen:terrorism,climate change,economic recession,flu pandemics,etc after 2000.
Heck even now I still want to look backwards and not forward.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join