It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scanning For UFOs: Just How Capable Are Our Cellphones And Videocamaras?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I´m sure most of you people interested in the UFO phenomena have heard reports of UFOs showing up in videos and pictures, yet they were not visable to the camara operators themselves during the shooting. This may be common knowledge to some of the more tech qualified among us here, but I only fairly recently discovered that cellphones with built in camaras (and I assume videocamaras as well) are capable of seeing and recording into the infrared spectrum. In case you didn´t know this yourself, turn on your cellphone camara as if you want to record a video and have someone pick up a TV remote control and click it in your direction. You´ll see the remote control´s diode flash on your camara screen, but you can´t see the diode light up with your own eyes.

Great! Most of us out there are packing recording devices able to see into the infrared spectrum. I have heard of people doing "Skyfishing"...scanning the skys and taking pictures looking for UFOs not seen within the visable spectrum, but I was wondering (and this is the tech question), just how far into the near-infrared spectrum can these devices see into?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fockewulf190
just how far into the near-infrared spectrum can these devices see into?
Not far but far enough to cause Sony to add a filter for shooting daytime video as the nightshot mode used in the daytime was producing an X-ray effect. So I know the newer Sonys with that filter can shoot further into the near infrared at night than during the daytime.

People like posting videos of bats and birds shot at night with nightshot and claiming they are UFOs because the wings don't show up too well in that mode.

I'm always suspicious of UFOs that were recorded but not seen when photographed. Like rods. Or like this 1975 photo:

www.caelestia.be...

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Spectral response of a modern camera imaging chip (color)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a72c3bf36b78.jpg[/atsimg]

Spectral response of a modern camera imaging chip (monochrome)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/862eb6c223f9.jpg[/atsimg]

Spectral response of the human eye.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/97a102548501.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Maybe they have some force-field to make it blur or some spinning motion what our eyes are not capible of noticing?
Or maybe they dont want to be seen by mobile phone etc
Maybe they want us to belive without evidence off a phone or camera

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

You can find many examples of photos taken with regular cameras (not with infrared film or filters) showing objects and scenes that were not seen with naked eyes. The objects, all kinds and shapes, are really strange and unidentifiable within our physical, visible reality. The famous vortexes in Arizona are good examples but difficult to prove real.

I've also seen photos and videos taken at night with infrared illumination showing bizarre animals/insects/whatever.

No explanation possible from me. But the photos and videos are sure entertaining and make one think about other "dimensions".

[edit on 4-4-2010 by The Shrike]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the answers.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This subject is very interesting, i'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, it does border on the same subject that I am on right now.

Skywatch - I guess is the hunt or recording/observation of the sky either day or night to try and find that bizarre or phenomanal UFO. I've lost count of the pictures that are blurry or bad video evidence.

My aim is to try and capture something truely unique, good quality video footage that cant be explained away as 'swamp gas' or 'comet'
I'm not very up on video technology so it's an area that i'm currently researching. I'd like to learn more and obviously this particular thread holds my interest because of the tech side.

I'm glad that the threadstarter started this one, i'm also not sure about our own eye/frame rate too, our eyes can only see into the sky for such a distance, consider that if an object passes across our sky at such a quick rate our eye cannot detect it, but a camera sensor / lense combination does. I'm sure not all airborn objects are mysterious but there definately is some strange things going on up in the sky.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I recently acquired a Droid phone. Not only is it great for pictures, but it also has a steady cam feature which is a life saver when capturing video/objects from a good distance. Up to 10minutes of recording time. While camera/video is usually unprovable evidence, we can at least trace media from phones/cameras to prove weather or not they have been altered post production.

new topics

top topics

join