It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heal the economy according to income

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Pecuniary punishment should be equal to everybody anyway.

What about the proposal to help fix the broken economy by paying your fine according to your income?

Isn't it so that a fine is there to help you remember not to make the same mistake twice?

If this will ever be implemented than we have two birds with one stone....(maybe there will be is a third bird in there somewhere?)

One: we will help fix the ecomony and

Two: It will be no privilege to be rich when you brake the law. This way a rich person will feel his mistake as bad as a poor person will do. Maybe it will contribute to a less corrupt and saver country.

What are your thoughts about this one?

[edit on 2-4-2010 by zatara]

[edit on 2-4-2010 by zatara]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
How about we just tax consumption and leave taxing labor out of the whole deal all together?

It works like this, there is a total of a 15% national sales tax, states get 10% and the Federal government gets 5%, no income tax. It works like this everybody pays taxes this way, corporations naturally pay more because they buy more as do the rich, the poor pay less because they have less money to spend. It benefits the government to create the best stable growing working environment because they make more money that way, if they screw it up they get less money. Also it gives the power back to the people. The government is ticking the people off, just quit spending as much money.

It's real simple and it works. The only losers in that deal is the government, they have to sacrifice power and control and they don't like that. So it probably won't ever happen in our lifetimes.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Rough assumption of an "average" annual income, 40,000. (Probably lower by a decent bit).

Now lets say we have someone bringing in a million, 1,000,000.

If we say a speeding ticket of high magnitude should equal .025% of last years annual income/projected annual income;

The 40,000 dollar salary would pay 100 dollars

The 1,000,000 salary earner would pay 2500 dollars.

You tell me if that is not ridiculous.

Then we have to account for people with even lower income. Do we make minimum/maximum caps?

I believe it should stay at a set amount. Having money has its benefits, as it should have.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Consumption Tax only plus "Fair Trade" Tariffs ARE the true answer to our taxation problems.

It makes common sense.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
fritos, I like what you posted. Makes sense to me. a speeding ticket is usually a 100 dollar fine on average. but to the guy in the porsche thats what he spend on himself eating sushi for lunch on a tuesday. For somebody poor that is a week or so of food being taken out of their mouthes. Not exactly fair from a financial standpoint nor a pavlovian one. How is going with out one super high priced lunch that someone is used to a negative stimulus to prevent one from doing the wrong act again. it's not. Make the fine 2500 bucks if your income is 1000000. which is still what one months car payment for the guy in the 55amg doing 65 in a residential zone.

I can understand how this would be concidered unfair to the rich. and they will probably say that the police only pull them over cause thats where the money is. but screw it it makes sense. if it doesn't perform some sort of conditioning in the persons phsychie than it's defeating it's own purpose. 100 dollar fine has zero sting to someone who makes even 100,000 a year, let alone a million. make the fine .025 your annual income.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

Most other countries have VAT (value added taxes) which are like sales taxes on everything. Most Tax Law Professors I have talked to think the US is eventually going to add a VAT. Unfortunately, they think the VAT is not going to replace the income tax, but supplement it.

Here's a wikipedia link on the VAT

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I would argue this with you but I doubt your progressive brain could comprehend why people should be treated equally even if they are not. You have to remember this blade cuts both ways. But you ideology will only let you see one side of the blade. I for one cant wait for Europe to fall apart again it needs a good house cleaning every so often.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I do believe that something like that has been suggested. THE FAIR TAX

If Obama wants to transform America, then let him start with the way we collect taxes.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phedreus

I do believe that something like that has been suggested. THE FAIR TAX

If Obama wants to transform America, then let him start with the way we collect taxes.

You do realise this OP does not even live in this country right? when we start to draw lines and put people into certain areas were do you stop? This is why we should treat everyone as equal. Think about this way you get caught speeding and the fines 100 dollars the rich guy pays 20,000 and the poor guy pays 5 dollars?

Should we not have equal protection under the law? And to all of you that think the rich business guy is to blame ask yourself why are the people saying this rich business guys? This should tip you off to the truth. It is all about control.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by zatara

I would argue this with you but I doubt your progressive brain could comprehend why people should be treated equally even if they are not. You have to remember this blade cuts both ways. But you ideology will only let you see one side of the blade. I for one cant wait for Europe to fall apart again it needs a good house cleaning every so often.

A preconceived opinion based on.....? You probably feel I wouldn't understand anyway.

My thread is about paying the government for something you did wrong.........misdemeanour, violation of the law, criminal offence, misbehaviour.....how can I it explain to you? Well, anyway.... these kind of things.

This is not about paying taxes in general....just the fines.

Not to worry, if you understand it or not, behave or not, you can still stand out, buy and do plenty of things with you riches what less fortunate people can not.

And I would like to add that this idea can also be used in my country or other countries. Hell....it can also be used in countries that are not with financial problems.

Being fined for 20.000 dolllars will be painfull and a thing to get used to....Just like most poor folks it will be an inspiration and motivation to pay attention the next time when they arrive in a simular situation.

This idea has nothing to do with having a chance to 'sticking it to the rich guy' It has to do with justice for all. And this is a good moment to make it happen, that's all.

new topics

top topics

join