Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Top 10 Low Pass Flybys of All Time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is crazy insane! Bare with the video long enough to get through the lame Top Gun scene and enjoy the rest. Is that a fish thrust out of the water in #6? And #1....Wow!!!!

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
very cool video, just skip to the 45second mark to get past the unnecessarily top gun segment.

that last clip is almost unreal, what causes that halo effect around the jet, pretty neat.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
that last clip is almost unreal, what causes that halo effect around the jet, pretty neat.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that is the jet breaking the sound barrier. Hopefully someone that is well versed in aeronautics can indulge us with the correct answer.

EDIT:

I found a source that corroborates my belief:

www.statemaster.com...

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Nice video

I found this with a better view of the vortex effect of #1

www.youtube.com...

Airease

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Airease]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The Top Gun thing sucks, but the rest is pretty darn cool!
It's not breaking the sound barrier, but a condensation cloud formed by the shock wave of the aircraft in dense, moist air.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I Love ATS

AGGIE MAN that video rules all!!!

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Signals]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Great video, thankyou for sharing. Really hits home what these machines are capable of, and the accuracy the pilots show is ridiculous, loved the clip.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yep, you are correct, the last clip is produced from the breaking of the sound barrier.

Great set of clips.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Cool video thanks for posting that up. Here's another one you might like It was awesome feeling the concussion from the sonic booms when the Tomcat's would fly by. You could be inside the ship and feel it, mind you the Kitty Hawk weighed in normally at 89,000 tons.

Further edit: I suck at this so here is the link. www.youtube.com...
Edit: to fix link.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Silverado292]

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Silverado292]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

A nice way to use up the Earth's natural resources what! what! an then yea complain when the price of Gas go's up!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

It's NOT from going supersonic! It's called The Prandtl-Glauert Singularity.
Read and learn!
Wiki Prandtl singularity

[edit on 2-4-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
man that last one i could sware i see a guy
holding a fly rod out the window hoping to get a bass

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by OneNationUnder

It's NOT from going supersonic! It's called The Prandtl-Glauert Singularity.
Read and learn!
Wiki Prandtl singularity

[edit on 2-4-2010 by OldDragger]

A question from the laymen: does the Prandtl-Glauert Singularity occur at speeds less than supersonic?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE

A nice way to use up the Earth's natural resources what! what! an then yea complain when the price of Gas go's up!

Spoilsport!
Stick in the mud!
Relax man!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is in my top ten list...

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Very cool video!

I like the way the guy ducks in #5, even though it's not all that low, and in #3 where it's much lower, the guy doesn't duck, he's got a pair to just stand there without ducking!

The shock wave on the last one is cool too but if he really broke the sound barrier, why don't we hear a sonic boom?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I could be incorrect on this, but parts of an aircraft will create Prandtl-Glauert Singularities when approaching supersonic speeds, it clears after they break the sound barrier. So he was flying just a tad below the speed required to go supersonic for that altitude.

Edit to add:

The Prandtl–Glauert singularity or P.G. singularity is sometimes referred to as a vapor cone, shock collar, or shock egg.

The point at which a sudden drop in air pressure occurs is generally accepted as the cause of the visible condensation cloud that often surrounds an aircraft traveling at transonic speeds.

Transonic is an aeronautics term referring to the condition in which a range of velocities of airflow exist surrounding and flowing past an air vehicle or an airfoil. Air flow velocities are concurrently below, at, and above the speed of sound at the pressure and temperature of the airflow of the air vehicle's local environment (about mach 0.8–1.2). It is formally defined as the range of speeds between the critical Mach number, when some parts of the airflow over an air vehicle or air foil are supersonic, and a higher speed, typically near Mach 1.2, when all of the airflow is supersonic. Between these speeds some of the airflow is supersonic, and some is not.

[edit on 4/3/2010 by defcon5]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
They are fairly lowish, not bad. But I would love to see video footage of this! Nobody is standing under it and I get the feeling that if the gear was lowered it would push the plane upwards

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I almost crapped myself watching these. I wonder how many people in those vids ended up crapping themselves. Spectacular to watch.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
nice clips everyone

how could we forget this one though

I should actually put a warning about language for the clip below
theres some swearing at the end

[edit on 3-4-2010 by maintainright]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>