It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Free and Proud! Why have kids?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Awesome for you!

More people need to seriously contemplate this decision. While I believe reproduction is a basic human right, I don't believe it's something everyone is meant to do as a part of life.

Personally, on my current path in life, I will not be having children. If I do, it will be through adoption. Looking at myself, I see I have much to accomplish before I can find myself able to raise children and inspire the best in them.

Sure I could raise a child. But what else? I have much more to learn about life. I'm still not as disciplined as I should be. I'm not as emotionally stable as I should be. A lot of this is because of my own life growing up. Luckily, I'm able to realize this before I make the mistake of passing on my genes and ultimately my own flaws.

Plus, one of the main reasons you don't see more people driving a Lamborghini is because they spend too much money trying to raise a family. Wife + kid(s) = no lambo.

And I want a lambo. And a skyscraper.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
i don't think that one should be proud of being childless

that's like narcissism or something.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by IandEye]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If you've seen the movie Idiocracy you might find the following situation familiar:

As intelligent and responsible humans find more and more ways to justify themselves opting out of parenthood, many of the good genes will be eliminated from the gene pool.

As unintelligent and irresponsible humans find themselves the mothers and fathers of large families (lack of birth control, sleeping around, not having the sense to know when enough is enough), a flood of non-desirable genes will enter into the gene pool.

the population could enter into a period of reverse evolution. (assuming we're not already in such period).

If you're an intelligent person, please pass it on. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

having a child may be the ultimate form of narcissism.

Creating a half duplicate of yourself, and playing a roll in shaping their brain.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

I agree. Having known a few immigrants an refugees from those places, and just based on the experience of living as a human, it looks like people aren't "having" kids in the 3rd world. Kids are happening to them.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
so glad im not the only one who feels the same about children, dont want them never have.

the rubbish i get from people because i dont want kids, things like youll change your mind when your older, or generally ignoring me.

i like my freedom and i hate screaming and whining kids.

also arent there enough people on this planet, lets take care of te ones already in existance before we start producing more.

found this quote and thought it was funny

Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is like another nail

[edit on 15/4/2010 by kerrichin]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I don't like children nor do i have the patience for them. My mother is always asking me about kids. I've told her dozens of times i do not want kids and she acts all depressed over it. Sorry, not going to be guilted into it. Yes, i may be getting engaged in the next year. No, that doesn't mean i am going to settle down. My partner fully understands why i wish to remain childless and he feels the same. Besides with our families mental and medical history it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I thought that I'd post a reply before I read all the other replies.

Simply put, fatherhood, was and is the best experience of my life. Virtually all the publicity about parenthood stresses the negative side.... diapers, sleepless nights, bad children. The positive side of parenting is almost never shown on TV, the movies or in any print media.

It's exciting and fun. You get to watch your child grow up and learn. They are so interesting. You as a parent have to learn patience. Now, my children are adults.

If you don't want children, that's great. But if you have children, then be the best parent you can be. No one lifestyle fits everyone.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Kids are brilliant, so much to share and teach, to love and have fun feel human again, feel the bond of feeling part of a family. Eventually people who don't end up all alone is some apartment because they can not afford to buy a home and they end up living in deprived areas with even more misery. To have your own genes passed on your family line and to not make the same mistakes and add new knowledge of how to avoid the mistakes of the past for their better future the reward in human relationship and companionship is best in the world.

I know people like pets but if they don't want kids they probably won't treat them well anyway, people do change their mind in these cases where they unexpectly did not want a child of course but the bond may be weaker than ones that did. I am getting the feeling that family values are being lost, some say this is also a relationship loss with faith in God and it leaves people empty which then transmits to family.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by The time lord]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I am a mother of 1 child, that's it. Enough for my husband and I, we waited until we were 30/29 respectively, to have our son. He is great in our eyes, and not a burden. We spend time teaching him things, and doing things as a family. It's a great learning experience for us all.

I respect people's choices to decide for themselves whether to have children, just as I do the same for women who decide to abort or adopt out their children. It's each person's choice and should NOT be decided by anyone else.

I would never put someone down for their choices, no matter what it is. It is Their Choice. They have to live with their own decisions. It shouldn't matter what someone else thinks of it in the long term.

So many people have to shove their own values down other people's throats that it's just sick.

Thanx for letting me rant a bit....

A_L

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well I have a 25 year old who is now living independently and now I'm child free! I can now do anything I want without a worry! So I have the best of both worlds!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If your childless just be thankful, alot of people think its a right, but i do not. People try to force you to go along with the same rubbish of society, where people bring people into this world so others can murder them slowly.

Anyone here and elsewhere who choose not to bring people into this world are so right. Nothing to do with the earth, just that people are absolute scum in power and all they want is to destroy.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Interesting.

So you think that people who question should not be part of the human pool.

But then you probably also decry sheeple.

Fascinating. That you don't see the irony.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

or it could be we just CHOSE not to have children.
there is no political, religious or conspiricy reaso why some people like my self dont want children we just dont.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I don't have and don't want kids. I have a cat, and he keeps me busy enough.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
thought this was funny when i found it.
ive already got a bingo

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ohhh, you don't know how happy your post made me, OP
I have starred it

My husband and I discussed the issue of kids before we even got married and neither of us wanted them then, and we still don't want them now. We enjoy our freedom, and although we're not what you'd call 'rich' we are able to enjoy holidays in Scotland every year and the ability to go somewhere at the weekend if we want to, without making plans. Our dogs are all we need

But it annoys me when people say "when are you going to have kids" as if that's the sole reason for being married. We married because we love each other, and we are best friends and soulmates. We don't need kids to make us happy.

As for being selfish - I've heard that too, and boy, it irks me. There's nothing selfish about it.

Another argument I've heard is that if you don't have kids, you will be relying on someone else's kids to look after you when you're old. Surely that's better than aving kids then expecting them to look after you?

In any case, I'm sure all us childfree people have paid more than enough in taxes to support people with kids...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I feel that children are a double edged sword. I love my freedom too and I'm not gonna give that up. Never ever, ever. But without children where will be without future generations. I keep thinking about that myself somedays. But I'm leaving, the rest of, people that are, my age to, propagate the human race.

I have nothing against children. I just wanna do things for myself. I wanna achieve my dreams. Go to college and get a decent job for myself. Screw the economy I'll work like a horse to get what I want. Financial aide, work study, two jobs, whatever it takes.

But I feel a child would hold me back. So that's why I'm never going to raise a child. But I believe it's cool to have kids. Just as long as the parents will love it. Treat the with respect and stuff. Nothing wrong with being a parent in this day and age. As long as you really care about it. You want a kid, like a desire, to get good, job with decent wage.

Pour your heart into it, man. Nothing can stop you if you actually try. But that's what I feel about the subject at hand.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
It's really hard to say what it is with kids.
First of all i don't like babies, i can't stand them and i don't find anything cute about them at all.

Another post that made my day!
I honestly thought me and my hubby were the only ones who felt this way. I've never found babies or kids even remotely interesting, let alone cute (but show me a picture of a puppy, that'll make me go 'awwww' every time)

For some reason though, there seems to be a stigma around a person saying that they don't like kids, as if you're somehow not normal
. Why is this? We all have different likes and dislikes, why should that be any different where babies/kids are concerned?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
lol @ all the ironic comments that boil down to 'I don't want to raise more humans in such a messed up society' and in the same breath, 'I don't want to give up my money and toys to spend on children if I have them.'

Consumerism first?

I understand the desire to not want children. I never wanted them either until I had my son. Now I wouldn't change things for the world. It's true I've never heard anyone say, 'We just had our baby and it feels like my life got 50% easier. It was like an enormous weight was lifted off my shoulders.'

Children are a lot of work, a lot of sacrifice, and require a lot of time. It's not for everyone. And if your reasoning is you don't want to have give your share of consumer goods, then it sounds like you made the right decision to refrain from parenthood.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join