It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another entertainment person comes out-Gay/Bi-sexual: I don't get it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This week, two Movie/TV/Music stars came out and announced to the world they are gay and/or bisexual. I don't understand why the media makes a big deal about it. Do they get, like a prize or something?

Anna Paquin: I'm Bisexual
Ricky Martin: I'm gay

These types of people then claim they are no different that a hetro person and just wanted to be treated and seen as the hetros. Claiming the life style is no different than the hetrosexual lifestyle.

Well, I think they would be if they weren't going on TV/Media and announcing their sexual orientation and going against the norms. I have yet to see anyone get coverage for saying "Hey, I'm straight and don't judge me differently".

The only reason I can see, maybe two reasons, is to promote the gay/bi lifestyle in attempts to justify what they are doing (to themselves at least).
The other reason is they have support in the TV/Media (meaning many openly gay/bi people-Anderson Cooper comes to mind) and they are doing it in hopes of gaining some type of larger audience/fans.

I don't mean this thread to be anything but what I stated. What is the big deal about coming out (if it isn't any different that the hetro lifestyle-as they claim)?

Mods. If this should be posted in another area-please do. Someone mentioned it in a reply post. If so, sorry.

[edit on 4/2/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
The only reason I can see, maybe two reasons, is to promote the gay/bi lifestyle in attempts to justify what they are doing (to themselves at least).
The other reason is they have support in the TV/Media (meaning many openly gay/bi people-Anderson Cooper comes to mind) and they are doing it in hopes of gaining some type of larger audience/fans.

I think your missing the point. Firstly.. If you couldnt tell ricky martin was gay then shame on you.. Second, there is nothing wrong with it, gay people cannot help the way they feel, just like you can help but fall in love with asian women.
Stop being so closed minded, the gay topic is a big devide in america, they dont need to justify their actions they just want people to acept the fact their gay!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ricky Martin isn't gay.

He is straight.

He is just saying he is gay so someone will buy his crappy records again.

It is totally a publicity stunt.

This is 100% obvious to those who understand Advertising techniques of 2010.

Same goes with probably half of these "coming out" announcements...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
In the same vein, but from another perspective, I will give another example.

This example is Sandra Bullock and Jesse James. Or Brad Pitt and Angelina.

Basically, Sandra and Jesse did NOT break up. In fact, they probably were never married! LOL

See, it is acting. They are actors. They work for the "entertainment industry".

Here is a clue of how you can see this is true.

Sandra and Jesse are possibly going to have a divorce now, because Jesse slept with like 10 other chicks right?

Well, with all of this supposed "embarrassment" for Sandra, why would she POSE FOR THE COVERS of all of these "Gossip Mags" that are making her look like a miserable wreck??

Of course, because Sandra is a big actor, and is getting paid BIG $ for this ROLE as a GOSSIP icon. It is actually a "Reality Show". If you will.

This is how cleverly disguised scripts are these days, that you will actually think Brad Angelina and Jennifer went through all of that crap.

No they were just paid to act those roles for the Paparazzi.

BTW, did you Know that Britney Spears managers have been known to actually HIRE the paparazzi to follow Britney? All of those controversial photos and gossip stories??? HER MANAGER WANTED THAT STUFF PUBLICIZED!!!

It is All Advertisement and Reality TV.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Maybe they come-out to further normalise homosexuality, to make it less of a taboo?

People are influenced by sports/rock stars etc, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, JFK, the list of people that have been positive role-models and examples for others is never ending. Now, whilst I don't care for Ricky Martin, or his "music" - AND it seems obvious for years that Ricky was gay, maybe he'll make it easier for some Latino kid to admit being gay to his family?

Ricky's background and audience, I'm going to guess are largely Latino and probably catholic, therefore his coming out is a big statement to make.

Now, if only Glenn Beck would admit...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Ricky Martin isn't gay.

He is straight.

He is just saying he is gay so someone will buy his crappy records again.

It is totally a publicity stunt.

This is 100% obvious to those who understand Advertising techniques of 2010.

Same goes with probably half of these "coming out" announcements...

What??? I hope your not serious.

anyway i couldnt agree more. its like they want to be treated fairly like everyone else yet they spend so much damn time throwing it in your face and always talking about it that it gives us the RIGHT to begin bashing. Just STFU and do what you do as long as it has nothing to do with me! You dont hear us NORMAL ppl throwing it in your faces! and yes, i said NORMAL PPL! HA!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ricky Martin is writing his bio/memoir and Anna Paquin did it a for a gay rights PSA. It's not very confusing at all... Their motives are self-evident.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Oh brother as if they are a surprise! I knew Anna Paquin was bi ever since I watched TrueBlood. Ricky Martin? LOL No shocker there!

This only solidifies my feeling that homosexuality is part psychological/culture/lifestyle etc. and part genetic. EVERY single homosexual I've ever known has had some sort of crazy childhood usually involving some sort of sexual abuse or abuse in general.

I don't understand homosexual men at all. Many, not all, are flaming gay and act like women.......yet they are supposed to be attracted to men. It makes no sense. To be attracted to another man that acts like a woman says to me you do in fact like women? LOL! Crazy! I'm definitely not one to judge though. The world has a heck of a lot more to worry about than what people are stuffing in their orifices and doing behind closed doors in the privacy of their personal lives. I do have problems with homosexuals pushing their agenda on others especially kids as "normal". Mental retardation is not normal. Born without sight is not normal. Born without your legs is not normal. Homsexuality is not "normal".

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Other people's greed.
One reason that he came out is perhaps so that he wouldn't have to worry that someone would tell the National Enquirer (US) "He made a pass at me" or if he went to the "News of the World" (UK), "My night of shame with Ricky Martin". People have been known, for money, to do that. Some of those stories might even be true. It's kind of hard to blackmail someone about being gay if everybody already knows.
Then they have a problem that straight guys are afraid to be seen with them. Not afraid that Ricky Martin would force himself upon them, but that someone will see him with Ricky Martin and think that he is a homosexual also. Yes, even in this day people would think that and it would make a difference. And I'm gay and was out marching for gay rights back in the 70's when it wasn't about gay adoption or gay marriage but about the once a month tea dance being raided by the cops, so don't say I'm homophobic. I'm realistic.

[edit on 2/4/2010 by christianpatrick]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There is a lot of hypocrisy in America. On one hand, there are plenty of gay people in areas like entertainment and politics. On the one other hand, Americans want to believe entertainers and politicians are clean-cut, church-going, heterosexuals. I can see why gay people would want to come out and shatter the hypocrisy. They want America to know you can still be a hero and gay.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Oh wow! Another Hollywood celeb came out of the closet!

I had to dig up this vid to show just how I felt about this shocking news!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm happy to go along with the staged reality tv concept posted earlier but what if Ricky was just sick of the lie? or perhaps more likely was about to be outed anyway and decided to out himself rather than photos emerge and the ensuing is he/isn't he debate ?

If it's the former - sick of the lie - very convenient - wait for an adoring female and probably male fan base to fall for him , buy all his records etc and then when financially stable enough (not before obviously) crush the very people who made him !

Or is this about some sort of fashion society is currently in ? Is he just being trendy ?

Who knows ? but I for one would never base my purchase choices on someone's sexuality alone if I thought their talent warranted recognition and my hard earned.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

JFK, MLK, Malcom X???????????Oh brother. I can think of a handul of better role models than them. You probably think Mother Teresa was a saint? Letting people die in pain...taking money from dirty politicians.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ricky Martin being gay has been the worst kept secret in the music business for the last decade. EVERYBODY knew about it. There's been pictures of him and his SO together floating around for years in the internets. Nothing new at all here.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't know why they make it a big deal. I for one, don't care what orientation you are. Your still the same person, it doesn't change much.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

You know, I've met a lot of gay people over the years. Some of them have been and are close friends.

Not a single one has ever tried to "promote the gay lifestyle". Not one. Ever.

This line of hoo-hah seems to originate and exist solely in the minds of those with anti-gay agendas.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Maybe they come-out to further normalise homosexuality, to make it less of a taboo?

Yep thats all it is.

To be ricky martin i would think he would have to have done a gay act or two, lol.

As far as i am concerned society still does not accept it, and its bull that it does.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Basically, Sandra and Jesse did NOT break up. In fact, they probably were never married! LOL

Sandra and Jesse are possibly going to have a divorce now, because Jesse slept with like 10 other chicks right?

Well, with all of this supposed "embarrassment" for Sandra, why would she POSE FOR THE COVERS of all of these "Gossip Mags" that are making her look like a miserable wreck??

Of course, because Sandra is a big actor, and is getting paid BIG $ for this ROLE as a GOSSIP icon. It is actually a "Reality Show". If you will.

This is how cleverly disguised scripts are these days, that you will actually think Brad Angelina and Jennifer went through all of that crap.

BTW, did you Know that Britney Spears managers have been known to actually HIRE the paparazzi to follow Britney? All of those controversial photos and gossip stories??? HER MANAGER WANTED THAT STUFF PUBLICIZED!!!

Actually, the pictures of Sandra Bullock looking sad were taken last year and they are just reusing them. She only agreed to one article and has not given the approval for any other ones.

I knew Ricky Martin was gay in Menudo. So what, he is gay, no agenda.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

I didn't think I was being closed-minded. I am trying to be more open-minded maybe. I am not bashing them for their sexual orientation-NOT AT ALL.

I'm bashing them for not wanting to be treated differently but acting differently by making big announcements etc. I don't think most in America could give a rats a-- what you are doing sexually (legally of course), it is the fact they appear to having to justify it to us by some means-when we as a whole don't really care. JMO

I was just using these two individuals as examples since they both made annuoncements this week.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Sandra Bullock ISNT posing for the covers of gossip magazines, they use pics they have or pics that are from pubic appearances and such. Not everything in the world is a huge conspiracy! Calling someones marriage a reality show when you have no idea is ridiculous.

Britney Spears well she seems to want the attention. She has even called paparazzi to let them know where she was going to be. Britney hasnt made a decision for herself her entire career and that is sad. She is definitely one that is controlled by everyone else.

OP~ well I have no words...this is just....
Not everything in the world is a conspiracy!

Shouldnt this be in BTS? There is no conspiracy for Ricky Martin and Anna Paquin coming out! If there is would you please provide some links.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join