It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Political Madness Escalates: Sean Hannity...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It's beginning to become clear that this so called "political madness" is derived from the right wing -- mostly republican conservatives.

As you pointed out, the saddest part about all this, is that it's being spurred on and encouraged by the republican party and right wing pundits.

Actually, it's the left purposefully spreading a soundbite out of context to fuel the notion that the right is inciting violence.

I can't believe you people are making me defend the dork that is Hannity. I seriously encourage everyone here to fnd the correct context to save yourselves from falling into this trap.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It's beginning to become clear that this so called "political madness" is derived from the right wing -- mostly republican conservatives.

I have no such illusion.

The madness is full-on from both "sides" of the two political "camps."

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Whatever's going on one thing is certain: the situation is being needlessly escalated. Nothing good can come of this.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I encourage you to dig deeper than the presented soundbite.

I have.

Please see my comments here.

It would have been exceptionally simple to modify his statement, very slightly, to be so much more clear... both in appreciating the crowd, and poking the left. Instead, he went for provocative and instigative.

The soundbite is intentionally hatcheted to capture the dubious nature of the sarcasm. You will have to research the context to discover the proper context. People who are not regular listeners will not catch the context, which is why people are falling into incorrect perceptions. Don't be fooled by this well-crafted hatchet job.

Believe me, I am no Hannity fan and it's painful to defend him here. But I can't stand seeing people snookered by this.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

As you pointed out, the saddest part about all this, is that it's being spurred on and encouraged by the republican party and right wing pundits.

I disagree.

I see the same flame of idiocy and hate in the Democratic pundits like Keith.

I think both sides are coming in at me at equal pressure, and both are annoying me greatly with their insolence.

I will not play favorites.

I just want a legit political discussion in my nation, about things that matter like water purification plants and rebuilding roads or bridges. You know stuff that actually matters.

All this right wing vs left wing talk is drivel and its distracting from anything realistic.

I am a human being. I am conservative on some issues, liberal on others. I have a unique point of view. I can think for myself.

I could NEVER follow a party line because my opinion changes as I learn new information.

I could NEVER follow a party line because I am a mixed bag of beliefs rather than a simple minded bigot, and find accepting narrow minded political views as abhorrent.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What really worries me is the republicans winning a majority in the congress and then the presidency.

If people can be this easily wound up and controlled, what hope we do have when the guys doing the winding are also the ones making the laws, decreeing the orders, and running the most powerful country to ever exist in the history of the world?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

, Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon."

Such obsessions don't come out of a vacuum.

You're right,these things don't come "out of a vacuum"! Some people read this for what it is,and I think it's pretty clear that people who fear these things have good reason to do so.

Obama's Bill - S. 2433: "Global Poverty Act" People, you need to see this!!! Please read it, your future depends on it!
by cantomagica Posted 11/10/08

The U.N. protocols would make U.S. law on issues ranging from the 2nd Amendment to energy usage and parental rights all subservient to United Nations whims.

Link to the Bill:
www.govtrack.us...

Link to your Parental Rights under the U.N. Law:
www.parentalrights.org...

SENATE BILL S. 2433 THE GLOBAL POVERTY ACT

According to David Bossie, President of the group 'Citizens United for American Sovereignty', based out of Merrifield Virginia , website: www.citizensunited.org

-- the above- mentioned Senate Bill (S. 2433) is a piece of legislation in the works that all Americans need to know about and know now!

This bill, sponsored by none other than Sen. Barack Obama, with the backing of Joe Biden on the Foreign Relations Committee, and liberal democrats in Congress, is nothing short of a massive giveaway of American wealth around the world, and a betrayal of the public trust, because, if passed, this bill would give over many aspects of our sovereignty to the United Nations.

The noble sounding name of this bill, 'The Global Poverty Act' is actually a Global Tax, payable to the United Nations, that will be required of all American taxpayers. If passed in the Senate, the House has already passed it, this bill would require the U.S. to increase our foreign aid by $65 BILLION per year, or $845 BILLION over the next 13 years! That's on top of the billions of dollars in foreign aid we already pay out!

In addition to the economic burdens this potential law would place on our precarious economy, the bill, if passed in the Senate, would also endanger our constitutionally protected rights a nd freedoms by obligating us to meet certain United Nations mandates. According to Senator Obama, we should establish these United Nations' goals as benchmarks for U.S. spending. What are they?

The creation of a U.N. International Criminal Court having the power to try and convict American citizens and soldiers without any protection from the U.S. Constitution.

A standing United Nations Army forcing U.S. soldiers to serve under U.N. command.

****A Gun Ban on all small arms and light weapons --which would repeal our Second Amendment right to bear arms. ****

The ratification of the " Kyoto " global warming treaty and numerous other anti-American measures.

Recently, the Senate Subcommittee on Foreign Relations (where Sen. Joe Biden sits) approved this plan by a voice vote without any discussion! Why all the secrecy? If Senators Obama and Biden are so proud of this legislation, then why don't they bring it out into the light of day and let the American people have a look at it instead of hiding it behind closed doors and sneaking it through Congress for late night votes.

It may be only a matter of time before this dangerous legislation reaches a floor vote in the full body of the Senate.

Please write or call, email your representatives, the White House, the media, or anyone you think will listen, and express your opinions regarding this Global Tax giveaway and betrayal of the American people at a time when our nation and our people are already heavily burdened with the threats to our freedoms and economic prosperity.

www.sodahead.com...

This is what it's all about! Global Poverty! The only bill I've ever read whose title actually has some truth in it!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The soundbite is intentionally hatcheted to capture the dubious nature of the sarcasm.

I don't think so. I posted the full segment, and it's his closing statement as the cameras pan-back, the crowd cheers, and he thanks his guests.

I've listened to Hannity. He's a smart guy. His "sarcasm" is fashioned to be provocative... just as Bill Maher's smarminess is fashioned to be. These are "stage acts" of shaped entertainment personas, not the editorializing of newspeople.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

A perfect example of how some close minded individuals will view this thread as permission from SO to freely attack anyone who doesn't subscribe to their own personal ideology, only furthering the name-calling. I could easily find an example from the other side of the isle as well, but you get the idea. We're all poisoned past the point of any antidote.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I've listened to Hannity. He's a smart guy. His "sarcasm" is fashioned to be provocative... just as Bill Maher's smarminess is fashioned to be. These are "stage acts" of shaped entertainment personas, not the editorializing of newspeople.

Exactly.

They are Entertainers 100%. They are not Journalists.

That is the problem. Most people are ignorant and think they are actually some sort of Newsy- Journalist guy.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I don't see it..

Can somebody (not necessarily SO, cause he's probably got other things to do) link to some political madness threads which are perceived to be derived from the left? Because I don't recall seeing any.. Nor do I see democrats marching in the streets, forming fringe parties, or, in general, acting malicious or prejudice towards people/groups... Where is the evidence?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I just want a legit political discussion in my nation, about things that matter like water purification plants and rebuilding roads or bridges. You know stuff that actually matters.

All this right wing vs left wing talk is drivel and its distracting from anything realistic.

You hit the nail on the head!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

A bit wrong on that are you not. How long have some of these bozo's been in office? Corruption takes root. Look at Charles Rangel. I have no doubt that he entered politics with good intentions, but looking at how he abused his position tells how that power corrupts. Then look at how the house speaker has treated the whole debacle. Can you honestly say that their CAREERS in politics have been to long? The joke is they police themselves and you wonder why the people are getting riled up. It should serve as a warning to all the scum in Washington that their antics are not appreciated by the people they are supposed to represent. Politics was supposed to be a public service not a career for power grabbing!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

That is true it is impossible to get away from the name calling a lot of times.

However, I do try my best to keep it down. And I keep the cuss words and stuff out at least, for common decency reasons of course.

But when dealing with politics, freaking out generally happens.

It is kind of a paradox, no matter how far you advance, you are still not perfect.

That should not keep us from pushing forward and debating with ideologies that are inconsistent or destructive.

No one changed my beliefs by calling me names anyways. Sticks and stones.

There is just no way to avoid name calling. Even you yourself, called them "ignorant people" who think they can name call others. Well you just called them ignorant, that is a name calling, isn't it?

It's quite a conundrum. So IMO don't worry about it.

I generally try to Ignore the name calling if I possibly can.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The soundbite is intentionally hatcheted to capture the dubious nature of the sarcasm.

I don't think so.

If you haven't been a regular listener I suspect you'll believe otherwise. People such as myself know better and know the context.

Once again, the term originated from Nanacy Pelosi last year when deriding critics of the health bill. It did not originate from Hannity. Hannity found it disgusting and has been using it sarcastically since then.

Sorry, but believing that Hannity made the term up in order to incite violence is illogical. Taking this soundbite at face value and making a blanket judgment about it is falling into a well-crafted trap. Research it. I'm not lying.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm quite sure he meant it sarcastically. And what do we garner from that, other than there's no intent on the part of Hannity or any of his ilk from either side of the aisle to do anything productive. Ratchet up the invective to stimulate the contributions by demonizing the other side.

These guys make a living and a very nice one by doing this. You know the Wall Street guys turn all their profits on the market swings, too. It's the volatility that creates the opportunity.

Politics, finance, religion, you name it. The Hegelian Dialectic in practical application. Whether you see it or not, we're all whipsawed by it, either directly through allowing ourselves to be manipulated, or just by being in a society where it's occurring.

It's all a big show much like pro wrestling, only the stakes are a lot higher.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Excellent post Yeahright.

I agree it is akin to pro-wrestling or a soap opera.

There are two worlds. The real world and the fake world.

The fake world is what they say on TV, radio, etc.

The real world is what it is when you walk outside your house.

TV and Outside my house do not correlate. Therefore I consider TV as garbage.

At least Pro-Wrestling is halfway entertaining...

link   

If people can be this easily wound up and controlled

Are you serious? The political machine has known for decades how easily the people can be controlled. It's not difficult. People line up to be controlled.

As far as the context of the "wannabe" remark, Hannity, Glenn Beck and Michael Savage have been sarcastically interjecting this stuff into their talk shows for months. Like when Janet Napalitano suggested that returning war veterans might be dangerous and possibly even "terrorists", Beck and Hannity ran with that and use it sarcastically to make fun of the left.

link   
I don't think he is calling the Tea Party folks "Tim McVeigh Wannabes," per se. He is actually lumping all splinter conservative groups together and likening them to Tim McVeigh who in his singular rebellious act only further alienated himself and his political viewpoint. Rather than recognizing that all of these splinter groups hold the same basic conservative ideals of limited government, personal responsibility, lower taxes, free enterprise, fiscal responsibility, etc., they fail to realize that on their own they will only provide more opportunities for those who seek an ever growing, oppressive government, uncontrolled spending and exorbitant taxation. They must come together and strive to revitalize the Republican Party and make it the party of these conservative values.

As Ronald Reagan said, "Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, galloping inflation, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite."

Do we need a third party? No. We need a revitalized Republican Party that holds fast to its conservative principles and seeks to include all who value freedom.

[edit on 4/2/2010 by linux2216]

N.B. I would like to add that I found it a far more intriguing statement that the combined spending of the previous 43 administrations does not equal half of what the Obama administration has already spent. If that doesn't wake you up, you may be dead.

[edit on 4/2/2010 by linux2216]

link   

It would have been exceptionally simple to modify his statement, very slightly, to be so much more clear... both in appreciating the crowd, and poking the left. Instead, he went for provocative and instigative.

I agree completely with this. If it was meant to be sarcasm, I believe he would have used air quotes or rolled his eyes slightly or SOMETHING to indicate sarcasm. Instead, it rolled off his tongue as if he had said it before or as if it was his true opinion.

If that's the case, he DOES believe that the tea partiers are Timothy McVeigh wannabees and had an "oops" moment. It slipped out. Or else he's trying to incite something.

I watch FOX news pretty much every day and when they are making fun of or putting down the left, which they do often, it's very obvious. It makes sense that he would only say this with sarcasm, but his actions don't align with that.

The crowd was already cheering. I don't think they were applauding his McVeigh comment.

I DO think many of the militia groups ARE Tim McVeigh-like in their operations and anti-government hatred and if we don't be careful, there will be terrible consequences.

[edit on 4/2/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join