It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions will lose unemployment benefit extensions April 5th

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yeah the trade to learn is political organizing to tax the rich scum sucking off the working class.

www.imdb.com...

The only teat being sucked is the fat white old rich scum sucking off the working class.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 2-4-2010 by drew hempel]

[edit on 2-4-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So for all of you out there that think the unemployed are just lazy and whining and jobs are plentiful, quit your job and find a new one. Go ahead I dare ya to try, probably not a good idea huh? For me I got hurt on the job and even though I got hurt I never missed a day from the injury onward. After 6 months of being on light duty doing the same exact job I did before I was "let go", should I also add that my pay was reduced during this period. So unemployment was my only choice, now I'm back in school learning a new career on a loan I have to pay back upon completion of school, all the while fighting unemployment to keep my kids fed and the lights on. So don't give me the your lazy unemployed ass crap, walk a mile in my shoes.. My guess is that statements like those are probably coming from either someone who is a CEO or someone thats is protected by a strong union job. Both one in the same.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

Well Friend, I am a survivalist.. My business took everything I had to build, even nights without meals. Nothing was handed to me or money givin to me to "start up". Also I know the woods,.. Been in those actual situations, growing up. Yeah If someone worked all their life donating to the system and then suddenly looses their job,.. well there already should have been a plan in place for that event. When your driving a car the first basic rule is to look down the road for the potential hazard, not two feet in front of the car. well the same goes for life.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

So you admit to not being a part of the working class. Move along.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

How do you possibly get that from what I have said
what cause I own my own.. Yeah maybe you are right. I don't belong here with the whinners..

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Yep. This thread is not for your own personal problems. This is a structural issue of the financial class stealing from those who actually produce the wealth.

I respect your self-esteem for being a "self-made man" but that is a myth which you will have to personally confront on your own terms.

I recommend going to South America and doing ayahuasca or taking a working class job and feeling the grind of your nose against the pavement.

Sell your car. Take the bus. Move into a small room in a house. Get rid of your health insurance. Have no refrigerator. Have no phone.

And most importantly.

Have fun.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel

Yep. This thread is not for your own personal problems. This is a structural issue of the financial class stealing from those who actually produce the wealth.

I respect your self-esteem for being a "self-made man" but that is a myth which you will have to personally confront on your own terms.

I recommend going to South America and doing ayahuasca or taking a working class job and feeling the grind of your nose against the pavement.

Sell your car. Take the bus. Move into a small room in a house. Get rid of your health insurance. Have no refrigerator. Have no phone.

And most importantly.

Have fun.
yer funny
Actualy we have been talking about working in Brazil.. Thanks for that..

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

One correction. According the BLS, the national average unemployment on April 2, 2010 was holding at 9.7%, not 13%.

www.bls.gov...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I addressed this in another post. In my area it is 13% of the people on unemployment benefits. For the Federal Government statistics you are correct, by a nationwide average doesn't help the situation in my area. There are indeed other areas that are well in the 30% range of unemployed.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I know things suck if you don't have a job ........but sooner or later unemployment benefits have to run dry. There has to come a time where it reaches a point where it has to stop. Otherwise we might as well just throw in the towel and just have the government pay people for NOT working permanetely.

I get that there aren't enough jobs, but I don't get the rationale of why I see people who are getting free college tution in Michigan also get unemployment for 2 years and also will be working a small side job. I work my butt off with my business and to be honest, it doensn't seem very fair. And before everyone piles on..... I've been in those shoes before.....I didn't claim unemployment when I could have, I just worked a second job and made my own business as well.

I'd rather give the unemployed a set sum and tell them to start a business with it than how being unemployed is starting to be their "job".

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Maybe you don't realize that the bailout is not helping mortgages at all -- the banks are just buying treasury notes! And so the 2nd big mortgage collapse is expected to hit in a few weeks.

Then in 2012 all the corporate debt will come home to roost.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Pavil,

I think that is an excellent idea. Put people back to work by providing funding to create a business. I could support that. We should start by building local shoe factories, and local food initiatives. Of course, congress has to vote for those things and they wouldn't as local economies would mean death to large mega corporations.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Whoa, just a minute. Not everybody who is "rich" is evil. (funny, I've been called rich! My desk right now is an old door.) I know plenty of people who you would consider rich and they got that way with hard, hard work, and intelligent investments.

It might just be some of those rich people who become the only salvation this country has of getting out of this mess because they have money to invest in new options that can turn this country around. Not many of them are high enough on the ladder to be Elite and escape all the effects of this nasty economy, so a solution is in their best interest too. They tend to be educated enough to write effective letters, make impressive phone calls, and get things done.

The government doesn't seem interested in reversing any of this mess and promoting real job growth. I hope that some people out there with a million or two to spare might decide to be a venture capitalist and put up money to start us on a path out of this sink hole.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Don't know where you are going with that Drew.... I started my new business last year (in Michigan) and have doubled my Clients and almost tripled my revenue. Oh, BTW I employ 12 people and have given about $10,000 in free aid to the unemployed.

You can make money even in a crappy economy if you have the right skill sets. It takes some money, a LOT of work and some luck even.

Don't get me started on the TARP bailout....I agree that almost every American homeowner is getting royally screwed.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by pavil]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel

And most importantly.

Have fun.

Isn't it amazing how many people say they have no job and are working their butts off yet they seem to dominate this thread and have the time to watch it like a hawk, while on the internet that costs money per month to use (for most).

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
so, drummerboy, they should just go to school and get a new job?

my friends son, he was working low paying jobs, he bit the bullet got student loans and went to school. He graduated and got a good job with the state of Calif. He totally redid the whole computer system at the company he worked for.

after doing this great job for the company they let him go and they tried to keep him from getting unemployment benifits, he had to fight tooth and nail for the benifits that he payed into.

He said he would take any job even making shakes, he did not consider any job off limits, he has not been able to find work.

there was a big hoo haw during christmas because a store in San Francisco had brought people in from other countries to work in their store. The out of work locals were really upset. I think it must have been really demoralizing

don't be so quick to judge others

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

I saw this occurring a few years back the first time I was laid off. The company brought in hundreds of foreign exchange students to do jobs after they laid off American workers. I made a complaint to the agency that handles this type of situation and they told me there is no law preventing this practice. I pointed out the law that deals with this practice and they ignored it.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

You know, someone got a Nobel Prize for creating such "micro-Banks" to fund small biz owners in Developing countries. Too bad the Big Banks would have a fit if we tried that here.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Drummerboy, I applaud your hard work!

Yes, some people have chosen the wrong path. A friend told me the other day he had an applicant at his perfusion (heart/lung/bypass, etc.) school who showed up all proud of his Liberal Arts Degree. Sorry, Son. Literature won't be useful here. Try organic chemistry. Oh, and with the pay comes a whole lot of stress and responsibility.

I don't think it's reasonable to think everyone can be as insightful/intelligent/educated/lucky or whatever combination as you. It's not always their fault. Some people are born with the odds against them. Aren't there a lot of people who support you in your life? Truckers, clerks, waitstaff, warehouse workers, rail road personnel, etc? Any one of them could be unemployed soon.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
they are creating a group of people that will be so desparate to get help, the will be willing to do anything for it, its just a way to get more people to go to the government for help

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join