It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ gives whaling OK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yazman

Sorry but the "World Council of Whalers" is NOT a reliable source, especially when all of their claims made on that site are completely unreferenced.

fine.

How's the Toronto Star? Too mainstream media for you? How about the Govrnment of Canada? How about a place selling Narwhal Tusks?

Hmmm. I've been on about the narwhals quite a bit. What about the belugas?

Look how traditional the beluga hunt is...

“Just last week, I went to a bachelorette party where beluga was in a salad with avocado and strawberries, which I had never seen before,” she said, adding this type of creative cuisine is getting more common, a leap from more traditional stews.

“Everyone prefers to eat it raw with soy sauce,” she said, adding that’s her favourite way to eat it too. “People don’t expect it until [they] try it. It’s got an oily taste to it.”

Yeah. Traditional, subsistence diet. People living in igloos, relying on it for survival.

I'm always blown away by how people are willing to allow this kind of thing to occur - with very little regulation - because it's supposedly preserving one culture, while at the same time protesting the Japanese for wanting to do nearly the same thing - the main difference being that what the Japanese want is for the hunt to be regulated internationaly.

By the way: going from the totals in the articles above, the Inuit in Canada - with a population around 150,000 - take MORE whales from smaller stocks than the Japanese.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think talking about Inuit hunting is getting off the issue here. From what I've read, the Inuit like the Australian Aborigines don't agree very well with an western diet (large problem with diabete's etc) It's the wholesale slaughter from factory ships, which by the way there's no way you'd be allowed to harpoon a cow then drag it in over several minutes causing unbelievably suffering an pain to the animal before cutting it up (often still alive) you'd be put in jail before you could bbq the steak!
commercial whaling has no excuse, on the whole Japan didn't even eat much whale before ww2, from what I've read the the american army used whale to feed a mostly starving population after the bombs where dropped. It looks to me that this is more about pride and keeping face rather than upholding any sort of cultural right.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think talking about Inuit hunting is getting off the issue here. From what I've read, the Inuit like the Australian Aborigines don't agree very well with an western diet (large problem with diabete's etc) It's the wholesale slaughter from factory ships, which by the way there's no way you'd be allowed to harpoon a cow then drag it in over several minutes causing unbelievably suffering an pain to the animal before cutting it up (often still alive) you'd be put in jail before you could bbq the steak!
commercial whaling has no excuse, on the whole Japan didn't even eat much whale before ww2, from what I've read the the american army used whale to feed a mostly starving population after the bombs where dropped. It looks to me that this is more about pride and keeping face rather than upholding any sort of cultural right.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Sorry but the "World Council of Whalers" is NOT a reliable source, especially when all of their claims made on that site are completely unreferenced.

fine.

How's the Toronto Star? Too mainstream media for you? How about the Govrnment of Canada? How about a place selling Narwhal Tusks?

Hmmm. I've been on about the narwhals quite a bit. What about the belugas?

Look how traditional the beluga hunt is...

“Just last week, I went to a bachelorette party where beluga was in a salad with avocado and strawberries, which I had never seen before,” she said, adding this type of creative cuisine is getting more common, a leap from more traditional stews.

“Everyone prefers to eat it raw with soy sauce,” she said, adding that’s her favourite way to eat it too. “People don’t expect it until [they] try it. It’s got an oily taste to it.”

Yeah. Traditional, subsistence diet. People living in igloos, relying on it for survival.

I'm always blown away by how people are willing to allow this kind of thing to occur - with very little regulation - because it's supposedly preserving one culture, while at the same time protesting the Japanese for wanting to do nearly the same thing - the main difference being that what the Japanese want is for the hunt to be regulated internationaly.

By the way: going from the totals in the articles above, the Inuit in Canada - with a population around 150,000 - take MORE whales from smaller stocks than the Japanese.

Look friend, I'm not defending whaling of ANY sort. I think it should be uniformly banned as it is ridiculous to hunt endangered species, and straightup irresponsible.

The point of my post earlier, was just pointing out that the world council of whalers is hardly a reliable source, and that I'm not going to accept that data especially when it's unreferences. You've provided a range of well referenced and reliable sources now though so that's acceptable.

Again, I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing - just making sure that this discussion is being based on multiple, reliable, sources.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The point of my post earlier, was just pointing out that the world council of whalers is hardly a reliable source, and that I'm not going to accept that data especially when it's unreferences. You've provided a range of well referenced and reliable sources now though so that's acceptable.

Again, I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing - just making sure that this discussion is being based on multiple, reliable, sources.

...and I'm still scratching my head over that. They're an international group of whalers, talking about the whaling that they do. How is that not reliable?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
G'day,

Whale's are not fish they are mammal's like us, to kill a whale is just as bad as going to Africa and shooting a Gorilla or Elephant. Sad so sad..

After years and years of whaling down here in Australia, most were close to being wiped out.

Only now the whales are now starting to come into Sydney harbor and Botany Bay and what a joy too see.

To let the Japanese come into our water would be tragic, they would not stop until all were gone.

To say take some would make an open season on our large beloved aquatic friends, the Japanese don't care about what we say now!!!!!

I say pi** Off, we have not forgoten WW2 and what you did to our POW's at Changi.

When we get an offical apollogy maybe,

Nope

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kernoonos

They're more intelligent than humans, more so than elephants and gorillas, so its comparitive to open season on humans with fins. Its murder. In the past aborigionals did do this to survive in the north, without true understanding. Traditionally they cling to their ways, despite no longer needing this and access to information which is wrong for them to continue in traditions that are not ethical. Just as all the religious people and others cling to traditions that are not Love & Light and are more like demons than angels.

The duality is built into every aspect of our lives to activate our conscious and make us think, by design. Japan and Norway need to stop destroying this planet, because these earth angels are placed here for the benefit of mother earth, their frequencies are amazing, and strengthen the crust, they release the 02 in the plankton, and their language, activates your soul memories as all cosmic citizens understand this language, and we're all cosmic in origin.

They're also crying out for help. This is why darksider authorities are allowing this, in modern days: KARMA, and to ensure mother earth is goaded enough into renewing and creating massive pole shift.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Its odd but I think they had the minister to do with this on TV on Sunday morning on Q&A a week or 2 ago. Thing is they never said they where backing it, they said that it was a good idea to lift some restrictions in order to make them agree to reducing the number they 'hunt'... thing is most of the panel of interviewers where against it, so is the vast majority of New Zealanders, then again that never stopped previous National Governments from doing what they thought was 'right' for the country.

Apart from that I dont think ive seen anything to do with them agreeing on any proposals yet.

So no NZ hasnt given the whalers a go ahead... and I think National will hurt themselves if they try and back this. All there proposal is really doing if I remember what was said rightly is shifting the dirt around the floor and bowing to the Japanese, yet they claim it'll solve issues and get Japan back into discussion. Rubbish in my opinion.

Japan has no cultural whaling practice... they cant even get their own people to buy the damn stuff for the most part any way. Purely trying to save face as someone else mentioned... weird mindset I tell ya.

Dont like the Australian head line, then gain their Australians... and journalists
anything to get an elbow in at the neighbors

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
But whales are even more intelligent than humans! They are incredibly advanced beings, a gift from the cosmos to this planet, and they have been asking for help. If something happens here, they will be given priority in rescue. And there is a plan already, from the cosmos to remove the ceteceans from this planet.

This must not be allowed. Japan is harming this planet greatly. Their frequencies strengthen the crust and if wasn't for their presence........Again, if more mistreatment occurs and no one understands, they will be removed!

Erm...

Are you not getting confused with an old Star Trek movie here friend?

Wales are NOT more intelligent than humans, although they are very intelligent animals. If they were more intelligent, then you'd think they'd work out how to overpower the hunters.

I know if I was 50ft long and weighed 30 tons, I'd sure as hell attack the ship instead of frollicking around in the water just off it's bow, but that's my intelligent human mind at work, not a whales...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Japan has no cultural whaling practice... they cant even get their own people to buy the damn stuff for the most part any way. Purely trying to save face as someone else mentioned... weird mindset I tell ya.

Say's whom?

Because we've had people on this very thread contradict this statement wholesale and I have friends who travel to Japan who support the fact that Whale meat is in demand. It just depends where you go.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Whoa, I didn't think our government would do something as stupid as this. I was just beginning to respect this country a little more, too.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

Kiwis have no cultural heritage where sheep are concerned, and they can't even get their own people to eat lamb!

I know this to be fact, because I once had a conversation with a vegan from Christchurch - and she told me that she NEVER eats lamb, and no one in her family even HAS a sheep.

Absurd, yes?

So what's it going to take to put this bit of disinformation to rest?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Actually matey I got that headline from New Zealand! And I am a kiwi still even if I do live in Aus.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Maybe the damn Japs need to be told once and for all by the world community we are not going to put up with their whaling crap any longer. Instead the world and NZ folds like a little girl in a haunted house. What a joke! Screw the Japanese. I hope something really bad happens to their country!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My opinion

Whales are very tasty like cows and chicken and what right do you have to tell other people what to eat and put in their own bodies.

It's western "we know better than you" way I guess, because I don't like it it can't possibly be good.

This time of thought pattern has progressed from forced conversions to chrisitianity, forced change in diet, forced change in lifestyle.

why? because western nations supposedly know better than other cultures, no we can't trsust the people actually out there whaling like the japanese or inuit to monitor numbers, "only western science is correct"

I think it's racism pure and simple

Thats my opinion

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
I can't remember having any say in this (vote or otherwise). If this is true then the national led arm of the big bloated govt corporation, has shot itself in the foot. First they proposed mining in national parks, now hunting whales!? Are they mad!!? A broad spectrum of the voters will not approve of this if accurate. THIS IS SPAa.. NEW ZEALAND! *yarrrr*

Whaling compromise only chance of success - Govt
Local media says boo.. 'maybe'.

[edit on 2/4/10 by GhostR1der]

It seems Murray McCully is selling you all out, back on March 8th he stated:
Anti-whaling stance negotiable - McCully 08 Mar 2010.

Any deal with Japan to allow whaling would have to be very attractive to get New Zealand support

Now "NZ gives whaling OK ".
Safe to say "a Deal has been done".
Better keep an eye on your National Parks now for mining. May already have a buyer for those minerals? after Murray McCullys statement above.

Zelong.

[edit on 6/4/10 by Zelong]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

perhaps the Japanese will give our forest's back in return!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I'm an expat now, but given the current national lead governement, I am not shocked. Not happy either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join