It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ gives whaling OK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

NZ gives whaling OK

www.theage.com.au

New Zealand will agree to allow Japan to kill whales, the government announced yesterday.

A proposal will be put forward at the next meeting of the International Whaling Commission in June because NZ believes that allowing some whales to be hunted is the best way to control the large number being killed by the Japanese, the ABC reported.

Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully said the ''acceptable'' part of any compromise is yet to be agreed to, but it will have to involve a big reduction in the annual whale cull, TVNZ reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 4/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
New Zealand government has changed it's stance on whaling, with it now saying the coalition of whaling nations should be allowed a limited amount of kills each year (1500)
It has done this in the belief that by compromising with these nations instead of going for a blanket ban on whaling it will better protect the whales.
kinda like shooting the dog to stop it going hungry

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 4/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
That is the last thing I expected to hear from UnZud. My experience of the country, its government and the people is that they are progressive in their outlook. So this comes as a shock to the system.

It also leaves Australia out in the cold now as the remaining voice against whaling in the southern protected zone.

When are humans ever going to learn that you end something by making sure it cannot proceed at all?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I really dont know what to think about this. I suppose if its the only way to get the number of whales killed reduced, its a good idea. Still, its just a sad sad state of affairs.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

I can see what they're saying but for me one whale killed is one too much, especially when I hear that much of what they take is left in cans on the shelfs of supermarkets, and never gets eaten (although I have to say I can't say if thats hear say or truth)
I'm a kiwi myself and it just makes me hang my . in shame to think that my government would bow down like this. We never use to bend for anyone (think nuclear ships being banned from our harbour)
Since I live in Aus now I feel useless to do anything except hope everyone back home kicks some political butt over this

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

I tend to agree with you mate, but the attempt to ban whaling completely hasn't worked so far, eh? Like I said: sad.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by k0mbination
I can see what they're saying but for me one whale killed is one too much, especially when I hear that much of what they take is left in cans on the shelfs of supermarkets, and never gets eaten (although I have to say I can't say if thats hear say or truth)

It's hearsay. At least in my (northern) neck of the woods. The only time I see a fresh stack of cans on the shelf is when they've just stocked it. Steaks and meat for stewing tend to sell out by midday.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Someone should start hunting them at sea to even the playing field. Give Green Peace some automatic weapons and anti-ship mines and declare open season on whalers. Be just as generous and give them a quota of how many whalers they can bag, I'm sure they'll find that more than fair.

Maybe if you had to get in the water and fight it to the death with a spear, and the whales could eat you, then these cowards would think twice lol

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Strong talk, considering the amount of whaling that goes on in Canada (who dropped out of the IWC and refuses to accept its regulation).

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

"The amount of whaling"? You mean the indigenous Inuit peoples of the far, far north that kill a handful for food and use every single last morsel of every animal they hunt? That's not even remotely the same, but still, if it were up to me, they would hunt none. But then you have to make the argument that they should essentially disband their entire way of life and move south where there is other food.

Now, if you want to talk about sealing, then yeah, that's a legitimate problem in Canada and it makes me sick knowing it goes on in my country.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Strong talk, considering the amount of whaling that goes on in Canada (who dropped out of the IWC and refuses to accept its regulation).

Canada doesn't do whaling, its the slaughter of seals that must stop. But whales are even more intelligent than humans! They are incredibly advanced beings, a gift from the cosmos to this planet, and they have been asking for help. If something happens here, they will be given priority in rescue. And there is a plan already, from the cosmos to remove the ceteceans from this planet.

This must not be allowed. Japan is harming this planet greatly. Their frequencies strengthen the crust and if wasn't for their presence........Again, if more mistreatment occurs and no one understands, they will be removed!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

"The amount of whaling"? You mean the indigenous Inuit peoples of the far, far north that kill a handful for food and use every single last morsel of every animal they hunt? .

800 beluga and 350 narwhal per year is a handful??

Source. Google for more.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

They hunt just enough to stay alive. Have you ever been to the arctic circle? I have and there isn't really a hell of a lot to eat up there. Whales, seals and fish make up the bulk of it. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I am saying the Inuit people have a right to food, rather than Japan, among others, who hunt them for money. You can't buy whale meat outside of the extreme north, and outside of Inuit land reserves.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Cartman say it best.

I don't give a crap 'bout whales so go n hug a tree!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

They hunt just enough to stay alive. Have you ever been to the arctic circle? I have and there isn't really a hell of a lot to eat up there. Whales, seals and fish make up the bulk of it. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I am saying the Inuit people have a right to food, rather than Japan, among others, who hunt them for money. You can't buy whale meat outside of the extreme north, and outside of Inuit land reserves.

I've been in the Arctic a few times. Yellowknife, Churchill, Rankin Inlet and of course in Iqaluit (got friends there, visiting them is always a treat). Nearly moved there, before I came to Japan - nice little town, but the winters are brutal. One of the things I noticed was the way I could buy both seal and whale at the shops. I used money for those purchases, by the way.

To hear you tell it, I should have just had it given to me or something, and eaten it raw while crouching in an igloo.

And incidentally, whale meat is not the only product for sale. Galleries all over the country have whalebone sculptures for sale. Those sure aren't free, and given the pricetags they seem to be going a lot further than subsistence.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

The point, again, is that those whales are for the Inuit to survive. Of course you can't stop people from bringing down some of it from the northern tribes and selling it. But the two aren't remotely comparable. You have indigenous people hunting them for survival and then you have a modern, industrialized whaling organization purely for profit, killing as many as possible and letting a huge amount go to waste.

The sculptures from whale bone are actually used to barter for things like oil lamps, gasoline, knives, etc. Non-indiginous people travel north to trade with them frequently, but these things are just further examples of letting nothing go to waste. The only difference now is that instead of making whale bone knives, etc. they make whale bone art and trade them for steel knives, fishing gear and whatever else.

The same goes for whale meat in the lower regions of the arctic, they don't whale to sell the meat for cash, they trade for basic supplies when they need them. What else do they have? Nothing.

When the Japanese need to whale to keep their people from going extinct and can't generate income any other way, you have a fair comparison worth considering.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Typical politicians going against what the people want.McCullys a lil b*^#& anyway.John Key needs to man up and put a stop to this I dont know what trade agreements we have with Japan but surely its not worth selling our values and international reputation for.This will hurt NZ in so many ways backing down like this and all because politicians never have any balls.
Everybody i know here gets so outraged about this issue yet nothing is ever done.I hope the Aussies stick to their guns and not let all of Australasia down.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

"The amount of whaling"? You mean the indigenous Inuit peoples of the far, far north that kill a handful for food and use every single last morsel of every animal they hunt? .

800 beluga and 350 narwhal per year is a handful??

Source. Google for more.

Sorry but the "World Council of Whalers" is NOT a reliable source, especially when all of their claims made on that site are completely unreferenced.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I can't remember having any say in this (vote or otherwise). If this is true then the national led arm of the big bloated govt corporation, has shot itself in the foot. First they proposed mining in national parks, now hunting whales!? Are they mad!!? A broad spectrum of the voters will not approve of this if accurate. THIS IS SPAa.. NEW ZEALAND! *yarrrr*

Whaling compromise only chance of success - Govt
Local media says boo.. 'maybe'.

[edit on 2/4/10 by GhostR1der]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join