It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Fix America's Health Care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There is a theory that the new HC Plan will collapse our economy (as if the former president the past 8 years didn't do so already)...

Many Americans end up in the hospital and with the poor HC system we have, they can't afford it. But why do most end up in the hospital anyway?

How many McDolands are in Manhattan?

In 22 miles, there are 83 McDolands. Is there something wrong with that?

Red Bull has been banned in France and Denmark. Even in areas of Germany. But in America, it's easily one of the most consumed drinks I see every day. And guess what? It raises the risk of coronary artery disease and stroke. But hey, the advertising is pretty sweet.

Aw, it's a cute little polar bear chugging a soda, where's the harm in that?
Coca Cola is commonly consumed and easily targeted to children. But what are the effects of it when you drink it constantly?

"Soft drink consumption in children poses a significant risk factor for
impaired calcification of growing bones."
"Of the fifty-seven children who had low blood calcium levels, thirty-eight
(66.7 percent) drank more than four bottles (12 to 16 ounces per bottle) of
soft drinks per week, but only forty-eight (28 percent) of the 171 children
with normal serum calcium levels consumed as much soft drink S These results
more than support the contention that soft drink consumption leads to lower
calcium levels in children. This situation that ultimately leads to poor
bone mineralization, which explains the greater risk of broken bones in
children who consume soft drinks."

source

Hey it's cool to smoke, right? That's what I've been told at least...

Oh maybe it isn't cool after all.

It is estimated that directly or indirectly, tobacco causes more than 400,000 deaths in the U.S. annually, a figure that represents nearly 20 percent of all U.S. deaths. These deaths have been attributed to a number of conditions defined as tobacco-related, including heart disease (115,000 deaths), cancer (136,000), chronic pulmonary disease (60,000), and stroke (27,000). According to a study published by the British medical journal Lancet, the rate of tobacco-related mortality throughout the entire developed world also averages about 20 percent of all deaths.

source

But what's the one thing that kills us the most?

Instead of living healthy, getting exercise, or eating right...we depend on drugs. If you're addicted to heroin, they'll give you more drugs to resolve your drug problem.
As Robin Williams said, doctors are your drug dealers.

Do we really need to question why this country is so unhealthy when the answers are all around us in clear daylight?

First step to America's health care: Be healthy.
Don't smoke
Don't drink
Don't eat fast food
Don't drink soda or energy drinks

Not saying EVER, but we all know, in moderation, some things are ok.

Like I said, a proper step into a more healthier America...

But sadly, feeding us poison is good for business.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm with you on this. I share your frusteration, its hard to watch your family and friends slowly kill themselves. Unfortunately most people in this country are more concerned with what tastes good and what takes the least amount of time to prepare. It's all laziness and apathy.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
but RedBull gives you wings

line 2

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I fully agree here. I find it infuriating that someone thinks that I should have to pay for their lifestyle choices and the consequences thereof. I do believe that if I am forced to pay for someone else's living expenses, then I think I should have a right to tell them what to eat and not to eat and how much to exercise and a lot lot more!

I just can't understand how some people think they have some kind of right to force another to pay for their living expenses. How can anyone be for involuntary servitude? I thought we learned long ago that slavery was BAD BAD BAD ... and is a very immoral act. And all this coveting going on, ain't that a sin too? I am not someones solution to affordable medical care!

And worse yet, all these people crying that they can't afford health insurance .. what in the hell are they doing with computers and internet access and teevees and more. Of course they won't have money to care for their health if they had spent it all on unnecessary crap in life.

And also, how can someone that's obese and doesn't exercise and smokes and engaged in promiscuous sex, etc., even be concerned about their health. If they aren't concerned enough to take good care of themselves, then I certain am not going to be concerned about their health either.

Anyone that doesn't take good care of themselves doesn't deserve health care!!!!!!

Gawd, how did we ever end up in this situation where someone thinks they have a right to force others to pay for their bills? These people are no better than them slave masters of the past.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I cannot argue with the logic of what you say...but it has nothing to do with how we fix our health care. Maybe our health, but not health care.

I posted this in your other thread. I have a fairly simple outline. Of course, there are specifics that would always have to be added to such simple outlines...but here it is if anyone is interested in way too many words.

To "fix" healthcare, i think we should tie cost to Medicare. I would rather see Medicare go away, but since it is there we can try to fix it and use it to drive private industry. But if you don't get the price schedules under control, nothing will make it better and the middle and lower classes will still feel the squeeze.

A simple solution would be to:

1. Require all doctors to accept Medicare patients as a condition of practicing medicine in the US.

2. Set prices in Medicare to pay a reasonable price. I am not talking sweetheart deals, and i am not meaning to screw the doctors. I am talking about office visits for Family Medicine costing around 80 bucks for the 15 minutes of pseudo attention. One you set the payment schedule in Medicare, it becomes the standard for the industry and will allow the insurance companies to calibrate to this schedule.

3. Provide cash incentives to recipients for keeping their health costs down. For example, an otherwise healthy 70 year old on Medicare that presents with complaints of gout pain does not need a Pulminary Function Test. There is no reason that the patient can't be expected to take an active role and inform themselves on their healthcare options.

Once you can apply some simple controls to how Medicare pays out, and tie it into an official standard of payment, you can address various forms of fraud (possibly by employing the "cash bonus" system to patients who can identify fraudulent activity? Once again, patients should be expected to be active in their healthcare, especially when it is free on the government dime).

If fraud can be gotten under some control, then we can look towards finding a way to provide health care to everyone. Remember, we already do it via emergency rooms and free clinics. If we can trim enough fat in the system, we might just be able to find a way to afford it without huge cost burdens being placed on business and citizen alike.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

That's actually not a bad idea. The system needed change, but did it need to be replaced? Perhaps, perhaps not. Either way, it's a tad too late now.

As for this thread, it iis isn't really about the System itself but it's a good way of taking better care of ourselves so we actually don't end up in the hospital with crappy health care.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

[edit on 1-4-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The way to fix it is to get the facking government out of it. This bill is nothing but a payoff from the bought and paid for congress to the insurance and medical industry to guarantee their markets. They don't want to heal people they want to sell insurance, drugs, and expensive procedures many of which maim or kill over half of thier patients

top topics

join