It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any memorization tips for holy texts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Is there a better way to memorize LARGE PORTIONS of sacred texts rather than breaking it down sentence by sentence?

Memorizing entire chapters or even books would be a challenge. Muslims can memorize the entire Quran in Arabic (even if they don't know the language) and the Mahabharata a massive work was memorized by ancient Hindus so it can be done.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Three things work well for chapters or entire books that I've come across.

One, you can go verse by verse, write them on an index card and carry it with you. Whenever you have down time, say waiting in line, recite the verse to yourself in your head. If you don't remember part of it, cheat and look at the card. Then, for the next verse, recite both. Then three, etc.

Another way is to get the Bible on CD or MP3. Then you can put a track on repeat and speak along with the CD. You'll memorize it as a block that way, instead of line by line.

Finally, you can either try to find it put to music or put it to music yourself. I've found it's a lot easier to memorize songs than passages from books. Thanks to Third Day, I have several passages from Isaiah memorized

join