It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Crush Economy with Massive CO2 Taxes as Early as Next Week

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

This isnt about to happen because it ALREADY has happened. The EPA is about to start ENFORCING this announcement by next week to manipulate Congress into voting on Cap and Trade bills.

The story:
blog.heritage.org...

My thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-4-2010 by AzoriaCorp]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

The EPA is part of the executive branch. If the EPA does not have the power to enforce environmental laws, who does?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Uh, either the joke is on me, or the joke is on you... but last time I checked, we all generate CO2, aka carbon dioixide, when we exhale. Methinks someone was in the April 1 spirit when they wrote this article.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jankopernik

heh April fools day... yea...

I wish it was a joke, but it isn't. try again!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by sdcigarpig

The EPA is part of the executive branch. If the EPA does not have the power to enforce environmental laws, who does?

Its a trick. The EPA actually cant enforce this. They are trying to manipulate or trick the Congress into voting on Cap and Trade. Its no different than Prez O signing an executive order banning federal funding for abortions, opposing what the Health bill actually says. An executive order cannot supersede law. The HC bill is law and therefore the exec order is meaningless. Prez O knows this, he's just trying to trick everyone into thinking he has that authority and also shutting up his critics.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

You are right in that the EPA cannot issue regulations unless it has explicit or implicit authorization from Congress to do so. Otherwise, the EPA can issue regulations interpreting a law provided there is some ambiguity in a statute, and the EPA regulations interpret the statute in a reasonable way.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

You are right in that the EPA cannot issue regulations unless it has explicit or implicit authorization from Congress to do so. Otherwise, the EPA can issue regulations interpreting a law provided there is some ambiguity in a statute, and the EPA regulations interpret the statute in a reasonable way.

Exactly! Its the very same scenario with the executive order. Its all a trick. To me, this is a impeachable offense. Its misleading, deceitful, and an attempt to abuse authority. Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thank you for setting this thread straight. ATS is full of people who do not know what they are talking about.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
on average a single human being exhales 1kg of CO2 per day. Breathing is about to become expensive.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by doublehelix

i know right?

(holds breath to save money... and help the economy)

*turns blue*

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Its all a money making scheme. Are greenhouse gases having an effect on the environment? Yes obviously, but taxing citizens on there electricity usage and miles driven is doing nothing to stop pollution. It's the same policys over and over make the people pay let the companys do what they want. Pollute forever just trade these credits its a scheme that has absolutely nothing to do with curbing pollution.

Health care with no public option = huge windfall for companies.
Carbon tax = ditto.
Why is it so disgustingly obvious.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So if there is a carbon tax and or cap and trade becomes law here's a possible legal counterattack.

Get it declared a property tax.

Property taxes are considered part of a class of taxes called direct taxes. And Article 1 sec. 9 para. 4 requires that they be Enumerated.

No capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the
Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

The tax is figured out by population and then the states are assesed the taxes. So even if a tax went through that process it's still possible the states would not apply the taxes to carbon production. The tax would then have no point. Which was the intended purpose of the constitutional convention. To keep political considerations out of the direct tax arena. Direct taxes are only for revenue generation.

And the simple way to get these carbon taxes derailed is to own the land that produces the energy being taxed. Carbon has no value so carbon taxes don't qualify as either income taxes or excise taxes. Own the ground and they are automatic property taxes.

Oh, and a side note on taxes. The polluters don't actually pay the taxes. That's a common misconception. It's the poor sap at the end of the line that actually pays the taxes. So a $2 a gallon carbon tax eventually winds up being paid by the end consumer.

Carbon taxes won't bother the coal company too much. They are simply going to end up in your power bill. Your gas bill. Everything at the grocery or dept. store comes by ship, plane, trains, and trucks. You are paying the carbon taxes.

Simply these companies would go out of business if they couldn't pass through taxes.

Its the way capitalism works. The customer pays. You are the customer. And if you use these products and services you are the polluter.

Think about it. It's just a regressive tax to soak the poor.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by ntech]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well he learned from the best constitutional trampler the last President, I remember that many here in ATS pointed out that what Presidents do to increase their powers over the people will be the legacy of those presidents to come.

Obama predecessors pave the way to fascism in the nations governemnt the people doesn't count anymore.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So, what I want to know is where is my tax exemption form to fill out? I may breathe everyday, but I also own 28 acres of wooded land; which I'm sure pours enough oxygen back into the atmosphere to counter act my family's CO2 output (footprint) from breathing.

What kind of rebate-tax break will I get from all of this? LOL

I doubt anything.....

A_L

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by another_lurker

Another: that was cleary the funniest post i have seen of the day in light of a horrible situation! if you see this exempt form fill me in

some rough times ahead peeps!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I wonder what kind of butt devices the government and corporate America will come with to measure our output of toxic gases right out of our butts too.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You know it. It's getting crazy...

A_L

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Hon you have no idea what now can be mandatory in this nation thanks to our run by corporate corruption government.

The Pandora box has just been opened . . . and all the nightmares are for the tax payer but for those reaping the benefits is a wet dream come true

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There are people saying that the EPA has no real authority to tax anyone. I believe that's technically true. However, they can sure lean on government branches and officials and work to change policy.

Which leads me to all of the talk about the EPA taxing and regulating the Co2 that we exhale, or... er... etc...

At any rate, the justification for what follows was actually about the ozone layer, not climate change, but the EPA was a primary mover in what occurred. They (the EPA) has already had an effect on my breathing. I'm an asthmatic and because of EPA regulations regarding CFC propellents that were used in inhalers, they changed the propellant to HFA's. Many asthmatics (including myself) have trouble with them. Funny thing, by most accounts when they tested tht new inhalers they tested them on people with healthy lungs, not asthmatics.

As a result of this I am 'slowly drowning' in the words of my physician. My rescue inhaler often simply doesn't help at all, or sometimes actually makes the situation worse. My asthma over all has deteriorated significantly since the switch, and I am dependent on a nebulizer (my new 'rescue'), and steroids (which is tricky for me, because I have an auto-immune disorder as well). And there is absolutely nothing, I can do about it except try to manage and not die.

My point with all of this, is that I may be a bit unusual, and part of a rather marginal group in this case, but you may be surprised by the hidden ways these regulations can affect you. In my case, best case scenario, it has literally knocked years off of my lifespan, as well as puts my life at risk on a day to day basis, and has forced enormous lifestyle changes.

They don't always think this through, or they simply don't care if certain groups suffer (or even die), as long as they don't make too much noise.
In this case, there were several factors involved from other branches of Government, to the American Lung Association, to pharmaceutical companies, but the EPA was right in the middle advocating and pushing the whole thing.

I apologize if this is perceived as off topic by the moderators, but I felt that it was pertinent to a discussion involving the EPA and their influence on regulations that can affect everyday lives.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rynocerous7
Just the next step in the systematic destruction of this country. TPTB can't have their world government with a superpower still remaining. It's going to be a rough next few years.

EXACTLY. But one thing that must happen first is that the 2nd is repealed, or restrictions on firearms and ammo become so severe that it's one step away from confiscation....at which point EVERY American who legally owns a firearm should revolt.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join