It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where will you find your Independent Reporting when the MSM controls the Internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I was just thinking, I get almost 100% of my news online, much of it from ATSNN alone, which I consider to be as good as if not better than any other news source as far as the issues which interest me most.

If the Internet becomes regulated by mega-corporations and mass media, and just starts spewing only the same crap that you see on TV, where will I find the news that I know that they neglect to report?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Good question. I guess it's back to short wave radio. There will be a return to pirate radio stations. That's my only real guess as to what will be out there. Maybe people could also go back to old fashioned printed news too. I mean after all the money making has been completely removed from the publishing business by the net, that media may open back up for self starters to fill the demand that a few smart individuals that want "real news" and not the nightly "propaganda". S+F for making me think about it!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Second vote for Radio- Do you have Yours yet?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Nope. I still need one with a hand-crank.

I'm not that familiar with pirate radio broadcasts. Where would they get their news sources outside of MSM coverage? Just by knowing their communities I would guess, right?

If there could be the global information exchange equivalent to the internet, then it could maybe take the place of sources like online indie/grassroots sources and forums like ATSNN. You can never rule out even just a few activists in each region getting access to information across the globe by some means and reporting it locally. But it would take some self-motivation either way, and I can't help but think the FCC or some equivalent would start a crack-down to coincide with that kind of media event as well.

I really feel as though this is an issue citizens should think about more and more often, and begin to think of better solutions and alternatives to a corporate-controlled internet.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
News will show it self eventually. Look at it now. There are large groups of people outside of the MSM. If it all gets censored they would find a way.

Like prisoners who are seemingly left with nothing, still get to make hundreds of different weapons.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
well lets see... thinking back to the days of the cold war, a mix of internet and radio comes to mind.

1 Use of BBS by those of us with land lines and phone modems still to get around standard internet censorship

2 Use of low powered fm transmitters ala the Micro Effect which I recall was legal for normal citizens to use.

3 Copy the russians and start a faxing network

4n on American internet users giving live feeds of short wave and other radio to access

5 combining 2 and 4 to broadcast in america itself ala pirate radio

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If it ever came down to it, I really don't think it'll have that large of a impact later on. There are a lot of people out there with a lot of ingenuity. Look at all the p2p and torrent networks which you can get pretty much anything you desire, legal of otherwise. I'm sure someone will come up with the napster of it's time, except not sharing audio or video, but pdf files of news stories. A "Newster" type of thing.

Besides, wouldn't any organization hemorrhage money censoring everything, tracking down those getting real news out. Taking out pirate radio stations, or cracking down on any other method that is used to pass around information.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
There is a magazine called Nexus that covers a lot of important and interesting information. There must be others as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
internet

top topics

join