It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a State secede from the "Union" ? The new revolution

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

NO

The American Civil War (1861–1865), also known as the War Between the States as well as several other names, was a civil war in the United States of America. Eleven Southern slave states declared their secession from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America or CSA (the Confederacy). Led by Jefferson Davis, they fought against the United States (the Union), which was supported by all the free states and the five border slave states.

In the presidential election of 1860, the Republican Party, led by Abraham Lincoln, had campaigned against the expansion of slavery beyond the states in which it already existed. The Republican victory in that election resulted in seven Southern states declaring their secession from the Union even before Lincoln took office on March 4, 1861. Both the outgoing and incoming US administrations rejected the legality of secession, considering it rebellion.

I have some time to lurk now.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

So you believe force of arms amends the constitution and might makes right?

The Civil War Was Illegal!

[edit on 9-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Constitution has nothing to do with the theory of seceding. If a State decides to go rogue the Union, will concider it a rebellion to the federation of States or Union. I just read history I do not worry about what I feel or beleive about it. Last time states try this we had the civil war. I guess in theory you could secede, but I think as other posters stated it would have dire results.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I believe that to a point in issues of secession might does equal right. If a state (or more likely a block of states) were to leave the union and win the subsequent war, their legality would be ensured by their victory.

However this is very hard to do if not impossible with the current interdependence of the states and the federal military. As has been stated, not just by myself, a state leaving would be seen by the Union as in rebellion to the federal government. Since the United States is a union of states, the action to leave would be an indictment against the remaining states. As such, national guard troops could be used liberally by the governors of the remaining states to quell the rebellion.

I am still firm in my belief that the United States would not have to ask for international assistance, although they would have grounds to within NATO if any of the secessionist forces attacked the remaining states, but it would be very dicey legally. Politically it would be suicide though for America to request even the aid of the United Kingdom or Canada as it would force the US into a state of weakness against internal division that they themselves cannot overcome.

When Russia offered aid to the Union in the American Civil War, they stayed in New York harbor. Relations with Great Britain were strained in the United States at the time, but the question of weather GB would accept the Confederacy as a nation was hotly contested with Chancellor of the Exchequer, William E. Gladstone, making a strong argument for it based upon the strength of the Confederate military. It can be argued that this position was more influenced by arrogance and provocation by the United States than any great action by the Confederacy though.

In today's world political opinion and leanings are much more clear-cut than they were in the mid-19th century. The United States is no longer an upstart nation with powerful enemies, instead she is the lone global superpower, with the largest GDP (unless the European Union is counted as a single entity,) the strongest military and an enemies list that is pitifully underwhelming in relation to her military supremacy.

The major global players are all either allied with the United States or on friendly terms, and I highly doubt that any of them would see it in their best interests to damage that standing by supporting a breakaway "nation."

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Wow just wow! Secession is rebellion? Against who? The other states? They are not trying to overthrow the other states they are just leaving peacefully where is the rebellion?

The very idea that people actually believe the crap you just posted here is just amazing. If states voluntarily entered a union for common defense then they have the absolute right to voluntarily leave that union peacefully of so desired!

Lincoln was a criminal and had no authority to wage war on the southern states for secession they did not seek to overthrow the Union they left it peacefully! The Constitution delegated no such authority to the federal government on secession and even simple contract law denotes that when the contract is breached the contract is dissolved.

The idea the if any state peacefully secedes that the others should militarily force them back in is just just sick and monstrous! 600,000 Americans dead in the civil war proves it! And I don't want to hear the slavery BS. Yeah slavery was wrong but every other country on earth ended slavery peacefully around the same time and so would have we. It wasn't about slavery Lincoln admitted many times he didn't care about the slaves and would force the south with or without them. It's just amazing the brain washing that has gone on and so many people can't even think and reason anymore...Sigh No wonder we are screwed!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join