It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Stocks Climb to 18-Month High; BHP Billiton, BMW Gain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

European Stocks Climb to 18-Month High; BHP Billiton, BMW Gain

www.bloomberg.com

April 1 (Bloomberg) -- European shares surged, pushing the Stoxx Europe 600 Index to an 18-month high, as manufacturing expanded from the U.S. and the euro region to China and India, adding to evidence the economic recovery is strengthening.

BHP Billiton Ltd., the world’s largest mining company, rallied 2 percent in London as metals prices climbed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.proactivei nvestors.co.uk
www.businessweek.com
online.wsj.com
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There has been alot of doom mongering on this site about the World economy, which i have been fully involved in.

But are we finally starting to see a real recovery in Europe and the rest of the World? There seems to be several key signs that this is the case. Hopefully this is not just an illusionary stock rally and things in the real world are actually starting to improve.

Even in the U.S things to be improving with those seeking unemployment benefit at its lowest since December 2008.

www.ft.com...

China is clearly not struggling and its increased production show that demand is increasing across the world.

www.bloomberg.com...

What will be the consequences of this recovery? Another bubble and bust? Soaring oil and energy costs?

Many commentators still argue that this economic revival in the U.S, Europe is not real and at best will still be a jobless recovery. And with 10 % unemployment in the Eurozone could they be right? news.bbc.co.uk...

Thanks.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The rich are getting richer. Sorry but you are clueless. There are NO JOBS!!!!!!! Companies aren't hiring. You cannot have a recovery without jobs. Especially in America. BMW is gaining? Haha yeah that's because the rich are siphoning off the wealth they are acquiring in this opportune time. They control the stock market. All those millions of people that have been laid off have helped their bottom line. Without a strong American middle class the world economy is nothing. Real Esate is not recovering. It's a complete and utter mess. There is no recovery. It's not gloom and doom.........ITS REALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Firstly there is no need to call me clueless. I asked the question is this a real recovery with job creation or not in my post so i am clearly considering that as a possability.

However increased production in China does suggest something is happening. Agreed most high-value jobs in the U.S have been offshored and will not be coming back.

The American middle-class is not the only deciding factor in the world economy. What about the growing middle class population in India, Brazil, China? Which combined is of far more significance than the U.S.

And in my opinion there is always a recovery. What form it is taking or will take i do not know. But things will improve.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Lets just hope this isn't another April fool joke.
Would not surprise me.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I wasn't aware BHP/Billiton was British, I thought it was Australian.

Nevertheless any profit they make is because of our resource sector and exports to China. And any increase in their stock price is only reflective of Australia and China's trading relationship and won't do much for the UK.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Ha ha yes. The one about Obama resigning over conspiracies and that some people were buying it made me chuckle.

Although obviously a job based recovery would be welcome one, it holds its own problems. Oil and petrol prices are going to shoot throught the roof, way above the near 150$ mark reached in the summer of 2008.

My parents own a gas station and will not be able to afford to order any gas in if the prices get to high. People think that as oil prices rise stations make more money, when in reality the profit margins and ability to order are severly squeezed.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

You never know they may use their added revenue to create more jobs in the U.K. or at least somewhere where they are needed.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Clarification of BHP Billiton:

Quote from wikipedia:
"The Australian BHP Billiton Limited and the British BHP Billiton Plc list separately with separate shareholder bodies but they operate as one business with identical boards of directors and a single management structure. The headquarters are in Melbourne, Australia. The company has other key offices in London, Perth, Johannesburg, Santiago, Singapore, Shanghai, Houston and The Hague."

Cheers

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is just another illusion stock rally

I cant believe you people are buying into that whole crap that things are getting better.

May i ask for whom?

For the richer yes for them things will be better, in there views there was no crisis but for us, things will get worse.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i do not know what to believe anymore. I have been worrying about the economy for months now.

But the more I worry, the more good news I see. Yet, the more people say crash is imminent.

The stock markets around the world, are doing fantastic. How is it possible if things aren't going good?

I am starting to believe the economy is in recovery, worldwide. I think we're picking ourselves up and getting back on our feet.

There is no evidence of an economy crash for at least 2 years.

The dow is almost at 11,000 now, and I'm sure it will crack that this week, and I wouldn't be surprised it makes it to 12,000 by the end of the month. It hasn't gone down hardly at all in almost 2 months.

People say there are no job, and everything is terrible, well, maybe its just the people without jobs complaining. Because when I go out, everything appears to be quite normal, and other than on ats, the economy isn't even mentioned in conversations anymore. It's a non issue to most people.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

I'm gainfully employed and I'm not complaining because I don't have a job. I'm complaining because I understand the fundamentals of the world economy and who actually controls what.

You see peopel carrying on like normal BECAUSE THEY ARE IN DEBT and are living off credit and unemployment from the government. Our government is in debt. The federal debt/deficits are completely insane and out of control. Also the reason the stock market is doing so well is because private banks i.e. the Federal Reserve and the US government as well as the Bank of London and British government continually prop it up. The US federal reserve has been sinking trillions of dollars into the stock market since 2008. But nothing is free................all that money that has been used to prop up the economy is DEBT........nobody will continue to buy US treasuries forever. Especially if other countries start to turn the eocnomic tide and become more prosperous. You think the Chinese and th Japanese are going to continue to buy our debt?

The stock market is in no way representative of the greater economy. Quite the opposite. No matter what the "experts" say or what the media and government says.

This is the calm before the storm people. The US cannot continue down this path. Is everything going to implode in the next month? Of course not. But our kids and our grandkids will be living in a VERY different country.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
The rich are getting richer. Sorry but you are clueless. There are NO JOBS!!!!!!!

Learn some manners will you.. What the hell is wrong with people on this site?? Insulting people for no reason other than them stating hard facts..

Economic growth stimulates Jobs.. Not the other way around. So Jobs come after the GDP starts to rise, quite a while actually.

BECAUSE.. the "Siphoning Rich" need money to invest in creating jobs..

Thats Economics 101 and basic Capitalism.

IMO one of the main reasons for the confidence in EU stocks is because of the new EU "Economic Governance" being drawn up as we speak. Loss of Sovereignty in return for economic stability and growth.. Definitely an attraction for forward thinking investors.

Yes the fact that the Rich own everything is terrible, yes the fact that the EU are taking over is terrible.. blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa..

Its called Life.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Some people just can't help themselves eh? They show their ignorance through it.

Yes like you say many aspects of Capitalism are wrong and immoral, such as the exploitation of workers in countries where their lack of rights allow this, i.e. Haiti and any other 3rd world country you want to mention.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

If you look at the Dow Jones you will see there was a surge before it crashed. The calm before the storm so to speak. Irregardless of the stock market the simple fact is our economy is unsustainable. The improvement you have seen is based on government infusion of tax payer dollars and aggressive cost savings strategies like cutting employees. With the reduction in employees go a whole range of other savings which include insurance savings. Ultimately you have to produce something at a profit. Seems to me they’re just holding it as long as they can but they know it will ultimately fail. That’s scarier to me than a crash. They don’t seem worried about unsustainability because they just keep adding too it. They just want to make it a couple of more years?? Why?

stockcharts.com...

edit to add:

[edit on 1-4-2010 by liveandletlive]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

There is absolutely no point in quoting figures for the Great Depression..

1) That was almost a hundred years ago..

2) That was the US.. This thread is about the EU..

3) The complete financial system is completely different than it was then.. ie Bretton Woods.

4) This time there is global action to a global problem.. Back then, it was a complete short sell and bank run..

Yes things are going to be tight for another few years but completely collapse? No.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

If you look at economic indicators.. nothing has changed since 2007. Europe is embroiled in a hellish fight to keep solvent, and in the US we have seen Treasury auctions fail, not to mention both theaters are still seeing massive unemployment, over blown budgets, and poor economic news from production to purchasing.

The BANKS have hundreds of billions and they are source for the Worlds markets rising so far so fast. The market is still acting highly irrationally.

EDIT: I don't see a major collapse, nor a massive sell off of the markets anytime soon .. I just don't believe that the rise in the markets are in any way related to the economy. The economy will only be "better" when people start getting hired. I could care less if the fat cat bankers and corporate heads are sitting pretty on their massive fortunes being inflated by the markets rise..

[edit on 4/1/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
reply to post by liveandletlive

There is absolutely no point in quoting figures for the Great Depression..

1) That was almost a hundred years ago..

2) That was the US.. This thread is about the EU..

3) The complete financial system is completely different than it was then.. ie Bretton Woods.

4) This time there is global action to a global problem.. Back then, it was a complete short sell and bank run..

Yes things are going to be tight for another few years but completely collapse? No.

Sure there is a point. xxshadowfaxx said:

The dow is almost at 11,000 now, and I'm sure it will crack that this week, and I wouldn't be surprised it makes it to 12,000 by the end of the month. It hasn't gone down hardly at all in almost 2 months.
[quote/]

I was pointing out that just because the Dow is going up that doesn’t mean things are good.

Learn some manners will you.. What the hell is wrong with people on this site?? Insulting people for no reason other than them stating hard facts..
[quote/]

Guess that applies to everyone else but you!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

The only way you create jobs is by adding value to an economy. Wallstreet, banking, insurance, finance, etc. etc. doesn't add value to an economy. 50% of US workers are expendable meaning their jobs have no net effect one way or the other on the US economy. Meaning they are WORTHLESS! They don't actually produce anything needed by society. The only way you produce something needed by society is you mine it, build it, or grow it. Without the huge infusion of capital and huge taxes EU countries reap the EU economy will collapse. Look at your guys taxes and unemployment. Like someone else said it's unsustainable. Just like here in America. Your jobs are being offshored to other countries. And you're wrong the EU and the US never had free market capitalism. I'll learn my manners if you learn your history and basic economic principles.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
I'll learn my manners if you learn your history and basic economic principles.

I happen to be very well up on economics.. And would prefer a intellectual discussion about these things rather than an insulting match..

So take it somewhere else

Originally posted by liveandletlive
Guess that applies to everyone else but you!

Sorry but please explain exactly where I insulted you and used bad manners?

I know these forums are emotionless without smiley faces but you are definitely fabricating that in your own mind..

While I do believe that there will be a second dip in a double dip recession coming in the next 1-2 years.. This dip will be nowhere near as catastrophic to the entire system than the last and the reason for that is because we will actually have job growth building up to it.. The second dip will be in the markets as a result of the end of stimulus and the the pullbacks in Governmental spending..

What I was saying above was that people in this thread are saying this is a rally before a crash.. which is ridiculous.

The investment markets are only getting revved up.. they will drop again in a couple of years..

But pulling out a 100 year old graph and using it as a supposed blueprint to the future is invariably as wrong as thinking the world will end in 2012 because the Mayans said so..

The times, the markets, the system, the world and intergovernmental cooperation bear absolutely no resemblance..

If this offends you somehow.. then my apologies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join