It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Pirates' protest Internet blacklist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

'Pirates' protest Internet blacklist

www.sbs.com.au

Protesters from Australia's Pirate Party have gathered in Sydney to demonstrate against the government's planned Internet filter.

Around 30 demonstrators organised a 'flash mob' style performance, symbolically gagging themselves.

"This is the sort of censorship you would expect of China or Iran,and it is being roundly condemned by the US State Department and Google for good reason," a Pirate Party statement said.

A press release from the Pirate Party also expressed outrage that the Australian Communications and Media Authority had allegedly blacklisted whistleblower website Wiki
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well, there you have it. Internet is the greatest thing since chocolate ( yup, i'm a BIG chocolate fan) and more and more 'democratic' countries are censoring more and more information being made available online to the masses. Saddening, really.

It's just a shame that only 30 protestors turned up to fight this ; with so little people, how can a valid point be made, and make others aware of this 'mass-manipulation' and increasing governement control?

Thoughts?

www.sbs.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unium

Well, there you have it. Internet is the greatest thing since chocolate ( yup, i'm a BIG chocolate fan) and more and more 'democratic' countries are censoring more and more information being made available online to the masses. Saddening, really.

It's just a shame that only 30 protestors turned up to fight this ; with so little people, how can a valid point be made, and make others aware of this 'mass-manipulation' and increasing governement control?

Thoughts?

www.sbs.com.au

That's assuming a protest can make a valid point in the first place. Which it can't. Protests are not productive. The only form of a protest that will work, is if you have a large portion of the population marching with one common goal. You'll need tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people. And at that point it's not longer about making a valid point, but striking fear and humility into those in charge.

Anyways, hopefully someone in power will see the rights violations being made here.

Either way, I don't think internet censorship will be the tipping point for the majority of the population.

Personally, if our rights are going to be violated, I hope they censor all Christian Vs Atheist debates. I'm tired of seeing those two morons argue like either of them know what they're talking about

[edit on 1-4-2010 by SirPsychoSexy]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy
Personally, if our rights are going to be violated, I hope they censor all Christian Vs Atheist debates. I'm tired of seeing those two morons argue like either of them know what they're talking about

[edit on 1-4-2010 by SirPsychoSexy]

Ha !

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
the reality is that internet is the last hope for humanity; thats the truth;

without the internet, it will be very hard to people to organize and to think differently from the mainstream, since all the information we receive outside the internet é totality controlled;

so, we wont have freedom even inside our own minds;

we are living in the WW III - information war and most people dont even realize that;

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Good on em !

They're having a go at least...Many people either don't know the facts or aren't interested in this very important issue...

And if this little protest gets people interested, that's fantastic

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I guess the enormous quantities of information on the web are enough to make people think that it's like a big playground where you're free to play all day long, and that freedom is like the cage that TPTB want you in.

Truth is power, and it's being progressively taken away from us. But the millions of webpages that exist make you think '' Hey, they can't censor everything '' , and they probably can't. But the essential base lines exposing corruption, political and State-in-general misdemeanors are being ripped to shreds.

My opinion anyway.

new topics

top topics

join