It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Sunset planet alert-Mercury; great pic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Article:

This week, Mercury is emerging from the glare of the sun and making a beeline for Venus. By week's end, the two planets will be just 3o apart, an eye-catching pair in the deep-blue twilight of sunset. The best nights to look are April 3rd and 4th. Go outside at the end of the day and face west. Venus pops out of the twilight first, so bright it actually shines through thin clouds. Mercury follows, just below and to the right (there is a link to SKYMAP).

Source: science.nasa.gov...

I never saw a close up like this of Mercury. I'll be out watching those two nights.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Yeah I'll be out too, can't wait to get my scope out for this, Mercury's a tricky one to view, with Venus right next door it should be a good viewing evening/night, I just hope the clouds hold off!!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I just found out my father-in-law has a Bushnell 4 inch telescope. Bigger than my tiny one. Anyway, breakin that puppy out. I live next to a graveyard-very dark one at night. I can't wait.

I was using to look at the moon a few nights ago and I was blown away.

I would love to have my own little observatory. My wife and I are looking at houses and one-the owner built a little 1 story one. She doesn't like the house because of it but I am working on her.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Bushnell scopes are reasonably good quality, I hope the clouds stay away for you, I'm using a Meade 105pe auto-guided scope, it's rather Ironic you live next to a graveyard, I do as well, the sky's around my area (south UK) are very very dark as I live in the middle of nowhere on a farm, I don't suffer from light pollution at all
let's hope we both get a good view of mercury!!

And.. Work that wife of yours!! It'll be worth it just for the observatory alone!

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Majestic RNA]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Man, an auto-guided one!!! In my dreams. I saw a posting last week where a guy had just gotten an 8inch one and put his video up of the moon-better than NASA I think. I tried to find it for you but I couldn't. It was pretty neat-he videotaped him opening the new box, putting it together, and then the great shots. Maybe someone else can find it.

Anyway, I am not expecting the world w/ the Bushnell but something a bit more powerful. I got my E-bay guy looking for something bigger.

As far as the graveyard(s). Best place-no one come in w/ a car (usually), no one bothering you, dark as heck and wide open skies. I can't wait.

I'll tell you, if I get the house with the mini obseratory-watch out. I will get one of those 8 inchers myself w/ the camera attachments, auto-guided and all!!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
WOW, that Image of Mercury is amazing. I haven't spent much time with the first of our nine planets. But that was enough to get the interests brewing!

My balcony has a great east view, I'll keep a lookout!

new topics

top topics

join