It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best guitar solo of all time ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Comfortably Numb is such a good solo in more ways than one. There are actually 2 solos and they are similar, but very different. The first solo is a smooth, flowing almost numbing...excuse the pun.. in how he plays and executes it.
I have heard that played before by others, who just don't fully get the way David plays it means a lot more than what he actually plays.

The second solo...the "outro" is what I'm sure you are referring to. Dave has said this solo was one of the few things he actually got to improvise during the shows for The Wall. It is more harsh than the first. Almost angry to an extent, and really emphasizes the mood change on The Wall from Goodbye Cruel World to this point.
This is especially true if you have seen the movie for The Wall.
This solo was voted in the top 100 of all time by some magazine...but I can't remember who or where exactly it was.

The one on P*U*L*S*E* was really good. I have to think the Live 8 one was even better, if for no other reason than we get to see all 4 members playing it again, and we get to hear both Roger and David singing their respective parts. It just isn't the same without both voices there.
Here is the video for the Live 8 performance of C-Numb..as the band likes to call it.
Dave has himself referred to the song on set lists as cumonbigbum...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

The ultimate. Hands down. Nuff said.

I like Jason Becker and his "serrana arpeggios".

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Otomo Yoshihide guitar solo Tokyo 1994

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thanks for turning me on to this. Love how his use of controlled feedback. It's what makes great noisebands like Merzbow so awesome!

Funny thing is that I can make sounds like that, but only when I'm frustrated. hehheh.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I agree!
But my favorite tends to be more Echoes@Pompeii or SoYCD..

Pink floyd ftw!!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I agree...The Live8 performance is awesome! Was worth while waiting all day for this highlight. Also very sad at the same time, cause this was the final chance, seeing them on stage together

Originally posted by jolois
I agree!
But my favorite tends to be more Echoes@Pompeii or SoYCD..

Pink floyd ftw!!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
My personal favorite solo.

Sympathy for the Devil from the "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" Live album, this is the peak of the Mick Taylor era of the Rolling Stones.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join