It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible that the universe be a huge living being??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
cool pics and i also think the univers is somehow alive very fascinting stuff well good day friends ,and foes

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Definitely an idea I've had for a loooong time.

Someone already beat me to posting theend of Men in Black (crazy zoom out)

But on the question of DISTANCES, and how a larger being could function w/ only sending and recieving nuero information at the speed of light, and that being too slow.

How does one even know what time scale this "being" that our universe is just a tiny atom of it GIGANTIC size lives by.

We could be an atom in a blade of grass.

Not much "thinking" going on in a blade of grass.

Changes do not happen so FAST.

So the speed of light would be just fine to get the message out to this blade of grass, to say "Hey the suns over there, lets curve that way"! Then it takes the blade of grass an hour to move just slightly.

So this theory of time and distance proving this theory wrong just doesn't hold water imo.

Cause who knows what we are actually just a small piece. It could be a rock. No thinking required, Just exist.

It could be our universe is an atom in a piece of lint. Again no thinking required, just exist.

We have no idea what the larger is. It could be a marble, like in the Men in Black ending Zoom out, where again..., no thinking is required, just existing works.

Our lives are the blink of an eye. Heck our species being here on this planet is just a blink of an eye on the "cosmic timescale".

So no, time, and disance (or speed of light) do not debunk this theory.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Nola213]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ionut
the OP reminded me of the Men in Black ending:

weird but fun to think about it..

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Ionut]

yea that is exactly what I was thinking as well. It is possible and crazy to think about.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Another way I think about it is look at the the structure of an atom, with it's various protons and such orbiting like it's own mini galaxy.

Now think bigger, perhaps all the galaxies in the universe are just large atoms that make up an infinite larger being that is same size as the unending universe. Then perhaps this entity is called God

I do find it interesting that atoms and such use pretty much the same structure of the planets orbiting the sun.

Perhaps if we looked at our what 8 planets now with pluto gone orbiting a nucleus would that mean our galaxy is close to Berilium with 4 protons 4 neutrons = 8

-grin- just food for thought

[edit on 4/2/2010 by Cito]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
this is why i love ats...
this just shows that we are just now starting to grasp the concept of what life really is and how it operates, which will allow us to see that are spiritual dimension is constantly giving the universe new energies and information so life can keep evolving to realize we are all one just operating on are own quantum time...just think if you thought this a hundred years ago we would be labeled as heretic. just more proof of us evolving spiritual and looking beyond just are physical beings...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Hi,

If you have not already, you should read greg braden's book holographic universe, that should give you the answers you are looking for

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
oh by the way check out this simpson's intro i managed to find on youtube, when i first saw it i fort it was amazing LOL and perfectly describes your idea

www.youtube.com...

p.s ignore the second half of the video XD

[edit on 3-4-2010 by orrite??]

[edit on 3-4-2010 by orrite??]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
"These are the words of the Teacher, King David's son, who ruled in Jerusalem.

Ecc 1:2 "Everything is meaningless," says the Teacher, "utterly meaningless!"

Ecc 1:3 What do people get for all their hard work?

Ecc 1:4 Generations come and go, but nothing really changes.

Ecc 1:5 The sun rises and sets and hurries around to rise again.

Ecc 1:6 The wind blows south and north, here and there, twisting back and forth, getting nowhere.

Ecc 1:7 The rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. Then the water returns again to the rivers and flows again to the sea.

Ecc 1:8 Everything is so weary and tiresome! No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.

Ecc 1:9 History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new.

Ecc 1:10 What can you point to that is new? How do you know it didn't already exist long ago?

Ecc 1:11 We don't remember what happened in those former times. And in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.

Ecc 1:12 I, the Teacher, was king of Israel, and I lived in Jerusalem.

Ecc 1:13 I devoted myself to search for understanding and to explore by wisdom everything being done in the world. I soon discovered that God has dealt a tragic existence to the human race.

Ecc 1:14 Everything under the sun is meaningless, like chasing the wind.

Ecc 1:15 What is wrong cannot be righted. What is missing cannot be recovered.

Ecc 1:16 I said to myself, "Look, I am wiser than any of the kings who ruled in Jerusalem before me. I have greater wisdom and knowledge than any of them."

Ecc 1:17 So I worked hard to distinguish wisdom from foolishness. But now I realize that even this was like chasing the wind.

Ecc 1:18 For the greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow. "

-- Solomon, son of David

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

But in the end, all this is idle speculation. Reality is not an illusion, the world is not a dream, and it's only children and people for whom life is too much of a challenge who comfort themselves with such fantasies.

There is no evidence from quantum mechanics or anywhere else to prove the world an illusion. The world is very solid, very predictable and very, very unforgiving.

You ask me how I know? The same way you, and everyone else knows. And however often you proclaim in high-flown tones that 'tis all but a dream, you never act that way. We fly in dreams; have you ever been tempted to take that route from the lobby to the seventeenth floor? Or better yet, vice versa?

reply to post by Nola213

On the question of DISTANCES, and how a larger being could function w/ only sending and recieving nuero information at the speed of light, and that being too slow - how does one even know what time scale this "being" that our universe is just a tiny atom of it GIGANTIC size lives by.

Could you now describe what sort of 'living being' you have in mind? The cosmic unity you describe cannot feel, think or act as a unity except over timescales equivalent to its own lifetime. No-one could possibly discern its feelings, thoughts or acts, not even itself. Show how such a unity can be said to be living. In what sense has it life? In what sense are you using the word 'life' here?

If we define our terms better, we end up thinking more clearly.

[edit on 3/4/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

unity can be found throughout all life... cells making up bigger organisms...the sun giving life to everything and everything needs eachother to survive and i can go on for days...
just think one of your ancestors could have been barley missed by a sword or bullet grazing his head but since he did not die you to are alive,that automatically connects you to him in a very special way...theres things in other peoples own quantum realities that affect us and we are clueless about it....a chain of events had to happen just for you to even be here...remember that!

[edit on 3-4-2010 by BroketheWall]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
every kid comes up with the idea, which seems so clever at the time, "what if the planets are electrons" or "we're mitochondria in some cell" or "big bangs are synapses" and on and on? it's fun and trippy, but ultimately, meaningless and absurdist.

the part about seeing human body parts from nebulae or whatever is just ridiculous. i mean, if anything, it's terribly egocentric to assume some extra-universe being would even be human-like. also, why would we see independently-floating body parts throughout the universe? if we can see big guy's hand (please, that looked nothing like any hand i've ever seen), why can't we see his wrist and arm? there's god's eye ... but where's the rest of his face? was he in one seriously enormous traffic accident and this eye popped out of his head or something? why can't we see the surrounding ditch into which it rolled?

the gaia concept is likely true. but i don't think there's any precept that the earth is a living being, but it's more that the earth is clearly a synthesis of systems and a creator of networked support systems that all work together relatively harmoniously. humanity's role in this process may be secondary, or it may all actually be for us (providing us with what we believe is a narrowly specific environment in which the conditions that produced us can flourish), or we may be utterly meaningless to the planet.

to believe that the universe, at its core and independent of a creator, may be an amalgam that, at the same time, spawns and depends on its own subsystems, i believe, is certainly harmless and, likely, somewhat accurate ... similar to the gaia concept. assigning some progressive sentience to that is not something i would do, but is certainly anyone's choice, though it's obviously just supposition and lightly considered, at that.

but to consider the universe to actually be the physical matter of a human-like being is just, in my view, meaningless and silly. but to each their own.

also, i would make a humble case for the idea that expansive "life" is possible, in spite of light speed travel. nebulae (and numerous other structures/systems within the universe) can be many, many light years in size themselves, yet clearly, as a massive unit, the components of the nebulae unite to perform tasks. i'm not suggesting there is necessarily consciousness behind this, nor, of course, faster-than-light speed communication, but the fact is there are systems of creation in our universe that are, themselves, vast beyond comprehension.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
nebulae (and numerous other structures/systems within the universe) can be many, many light years in size themselves, yet clearly, as a massive unit, the components of the nebulae unite to perform tasks.

In the same way, tectonic forces give rise to diamonds. But they are not self-organizing and self-activating. Neither are nebulae.

Star for your post all the same.

Originally posted by BroketheWall
i can go on for days...

I'm sure you can, but the question I'm asking is how an organism that has no working internal communications and feedback systems can be an organism at all. Any word on that?

just think one of your ancestors could have been barley missed by a sword or bullet grazing his head but since he did not die you too are alive, that automatically connects you to him in a very special way...

Yes, it's called geneaology. He's my ancestor, I'm his descendant.

Did you have some other 'special connexion' in mind? Care to explain it?

A chain of events had to happen just for you to even be here...remember that!

How could one ever forget something so clearly evident?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

internal communication= everything is connected keeping the information and energies flowing constantly thats how the universe communicates is through mathematical percision and ongoing energy that keeps cycles going...just like in the human body or the earth...
we cannot comprehend how the universe gets its feedback but it does get the energy and information from something that is infinite....thats the only way i can explain this...im sure you have heard of string theory.
i was just saying how EVERYTHING in your ancestors past life led to your existence...
this you already know but thats not my point....heres an example...say your mom and dad met at a train station but if your mom were 1 milisecond late they would have never met and you would cease to exist...that milisecond that she see's your father, that created an ongoing flowing energy that eventually led to you being born. you see what ever gives feedback to the universe also gives feedback to us we just receive the information on are own quantum time while the universe/the singularity receives it in connections and cycles. most people overlook how everything is connected that makes up the bigger picture because their to stuck in their own quantum time...just like a cell in are body might be doing a certain operation but isnt aware that its helping out me or you...its just doing what information is givin to it by the energies that are ever flowing.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Is it possible that the universe could be a huge living being??

I think that is a great question and a very interesting theory indeed. I think that it is entirely possible that the universe could be a living entity. It could be intelligent and self aware.

It is my belief that our reality is far too complicated for the human mind to even begin to comprehend.

Perhaps when we die these questions will finally be answered for us.

Cool thread.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

internal communication= everything is connected keeping the information and energies flowing constantly thats how the universe communicates is through mathematical percision and ongoing energy that keeps cycles going...just like in the human body or the earth...

Did you not read my earlier post? :shk:
  • If the universe is a living being, it needs some way of exchanging information (as well as mass and energy) between parts of itself so that it can sense things happening to it and act on them in a coherent and unified way. You can do this because nerve impulses and blood carry information and nutrients around your body. The universe needs something analogous to nerves and blood if it is to be a single entity. Let's assume it has such a mechanism. Now, here's the problem:

• Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. So whatever this mechanism is, it cannot function at more than this speed.

• But the universe is huge. The part we can observe is about 27 billion light-years across and there's even more universe we can't see beyond that. It would take billions of years for messages from one part of the 'body' of the universe to reach another part. Some parts are permanently out of reach of the other parts and growing more, not less distant with every passing instant.

• Therefore our earlier assumption is wrong. The universe cannot have a mechanism that enables it to act as a single entity.

• Therefore the universe is not a single, living being.

Get it now?

say your mom and dad met at a train station but if your mom were 1 milisecond late they would have never met and you would cease to exist...

True, perhaps, if we say a second rather than a millisecond, but let's not quarrel...

that milisecond that she see's your father that created an ongoing flowing energy that eventually led to you being born.

No, it just started a chain of events. The occurrence of these events involved the expenditure of energy, yes, but it wasn't the same energy being expended all the way down the causal chain. That's not possible; energy that is used to create or maintain order is dissipated in the usage.

What remained when the energy vanished was a zygote created from my mother's genes and my father's - a fertilized egg, which became me, using up still more energy in the process of doing so. All that energy was used up - not created - in a process sometimes called gene preservation and replication, but probably better known by another name: life.

you see what ever gives feedback to the universe also gives feedback to us we just receive the information on are own quantum time while the universe/the singularity receives it in connections and cycles. most people overlook how everything is connected that makes up the bigger picture because their to stuck in their own quantum time...just like a cell in are body might be doing a certain operation but isnt aware that its helping out me or you...its just doing what information is givin to it by the energies that are ever flowing.

You're merely describing the ordinary processes taking place in all complex systems, including living systems, in a somewhat mystical way, but none of this explains why you think the universe could be a living being.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
  • Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. So whatever this mechanism is, it cannot function at more than this speed.

• Nothing you know of.

Originally posted by Astyanax
    You're merely describing the ordinary processes taking place in all complex systems, including living systems, in a somewhat mystical way, but none of this explains why you think the universe could be a living being.

While it is probably not a "living being" in the way you think about life it is possible that it is conscious in a way we can't fully comprehend.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:52 AM
    link   

wow...
    alright according to string theory there are multiverses, so thats how are universe exchanges information and it acts on it because everything you see is received information from another universe. in this video it talks about how the location and energy of a particle cannot be known without an inherent degree of uncertainty... so it has to be receiving energy from somewhere because everything you see is disappearing and then reappearing at a rate and frequency THE UNIVERSE resonates at..which is faster than the speed of light...in my opinion its the speed of thought.
    if you think about it theres no time in your mind and are pineal gland can create the same harmonics of light that we receive from the sun in nano seconds...lights value is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second, often approximated as 300,000 kilometres per second or 186,000 miles per second.
    So this leads me to believe the whatever feeds us and the universe the information it receives is infinite and timeless! Because light does not create light something is giving the photon energies than that photon acts on quantum relativity of an object and the vibration of the frequency the object is resonating at..but the resonation at the sub atomic level cannot be located in a thing we know as time.

What do you expect the universe if it is one living being to have the same principles of our anatomy??? in some ways it does but not the exact same principles...
    we are just one piece of the body of the universe just like we have cells but we are not a cell. the universe is one big body everything connecting from mico to macro...

i never said it was the same energy the whole way it was the spark energy, but really that wasnt even the spark the spark happened at the beginning of time and space when energy could begin to flow. you are connected to the the first seed of energy ever!...i should have said energies because once again like you said energy always dissipates and is "reborn" in actually no time at all and i mean that literally. and im talking about creative energy not energy you perceive as a human or the process you know as life!.(food),(gas)

if you never heard of string theories here you go because almost every scientist will tell you string theory is the closest we've ever been to describing the thory of everything!

www.youtube.com...

open your mind my friend because theres more to the world than just you...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:30 PM
    link   
    The philosopher Baruch Spinoza (1632-1677) thought that the universe as a whole was God. He didn't think that there could be more than one substance, so he thought that everything we interact with was just different modes or attributes of this single thing.

But, that's a little far afield. What I was thinking was, yes, it seems possible that the universe is somehow conscious, or at least that parts of it much larger than us are. Still, while possible, I see little evidence here to suggest that we ought to believe it is so. Take the earth example used here, sure it regulates itself, but so could a machine (robot perhaps) of sufficient complexity, and we would not call it conscious.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:15 PM
    link   
    If the Universe is an intellegent, living being - we are definetly cancer cells.

A. We spread across earth (population increase), like cancer spreads across an organ.

B. We cause destruction to the place we live.

C. There is no cure

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:53 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Unstable Affliction

yeah right now we are a cancer to this planet but if we learn theres more important things than are ego than we can change it around

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join