It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a limit to the universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This is a rather difficult question which I don't think has ever truly been answered. Is there an end to the universe? I understand the theory that the universe is constantly growing and expanding, but as of right now, is there a physical end to our universe? And if so, what would be there? A solid wall? Another universe? What could be at this 'edge' or end' of the universe?

[edit on 3/31/10 by Misoir]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
There are many theories.
Some state that live in a curved space, and that our universe loops back in on itself. Imagine if all galaxies were on the surface of a deflated balloon. we then blow this balloon up which makes it seem like space is expanding, and creates distance between galaxies. if you were to walk on the surface of this balloon, you would eventualy come back to the point you started at. Even though you percieve a flat universe (and planet) the shape on which it is built is round!

Other state that there are multiverses, each with their own set of physics. some may die quickly, others may go on to develop intelligence.

Another theory says that our universe is actualy inside of a black hole in another bigger universe, which would make it some kind of holographic/fractal universe.

Other theories state that consciousness itself is the basic unit of existance, which would open up all other different whacky possibilities.

I hope that helped! Im curiouis to see what else other people have to add.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yes, a lot of theories, but no one really knows. My own belief is that (well if i had to say i believe, i really don't know), at least in our own "dimension", if you could travel far enough, it probably would just loop back and you would just not be able to escape it, other then to die.

But who knows really, man we don't even know if there is any other life in our own galaxy, let alone the universe!

I think there was a Star Trek episode once about that, where they were flung to the edge of the universe and weird things started to happen to everyone. Basically all their thoughts would manifest in reality. Seems as good a theory as any

[edit on 31-3-2010 by elcapitano75]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Some people believe the end of the universe is very far from us. This is incorrect.
The end of the universe is in Houston, Texas.
comedians.comedycentral.com...

[edit on 3/31/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The only limit to the Universe is in our ability to observe it . As our " tools " get better we will continue to see more .

As history has proven time and time again .

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I like the theory that the universe is a giant hologram.

There is also recent research that supports the idea that the universe is a giant dodecahedron.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I wrote a paper in college "the bubble universe" the theory is we are but like a soap bubble attached to other soap bubbles (like when you take a bubble bath (woooooo! with a friend) and that when two bubbles collide a "big bang" takes place! (like in a bubble bath sometimes.)

What's in-between the bubbles is anyone's guess.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
In my opinion, the best evidence that the Universe is never-ending is the fact that there is no center from which the Universe is expanding. The expansion of the Universe shows that it is spreading, not that it has a center. It may be spreading due to the attraction of a larger outside force of gravitational pull.

What's out there? Something with more gravitational pull than our Universe, and it is on all sides of our Universe. We are racing toward it at an ever-increasing speed.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That would be the "omega point" we are riding along with the universe to the ultimate end. Where all knowledge and knowing will merge. That would be heaven.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
I wrote a paper in college "the bubble universe" the theory is we are but like a soap bubble attached to other soap bubbles (like when you take a bubble bath (woooooo! with a friend) and that when two bubbles collide a "big bang" takes place! (like in a bubble bath sometimes.)

What's in-between the bubbles is anyone's guess.

This is one of the most valid Ideas of how we exist as a universe as a bubble.

As to what is in between that is a good question, if we are like bubbles then there must be water close by. The outervers is a sea of universes that gives life to all the universes, that could be true if only it was that simple.

It could just be.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaMente

There is also recent research that supports the idea that the universe is a giant dodecahedron.

Will you please explain what a giant dodecahedron is ?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Originally posted by BellaMente

Will you please explain what a giant dodecahedron is ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5fffd977964e.png[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The "Bubble of Space-Time" begun about 13.7 Billion Years B.P. is simply the 'conceived
to date', based on the limits of our current technological ability to perceive light sources.

That these over time are seen to move they can be projected back to a point of origination
is the basis of the 'big bang' purported, and as some objects exhibit notable acceleration
there is the realization that 'dark matter' exists beyond our perception as of yet, suggesting
not just an explosive expansion (which would reach a limit and gravitate to collapse)
but a 'drawing out' of matter to beyond boundaries thus far ascertained theoretically.

The mapping of these areas of 'pull' has brought about a comprehension similar to Geometrics
drawing compound Tetrahedra -like the linear calculating of a sphere using a dodeca-tetrahedron.

It'll be interesting with the new space-based deeper space viewing telescope and sensing
what shall 'prove to be' in the near future, these are exciting times we're living in!

[edit on 2010/4/1 by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

What we can see so far:

Remember we are more than likely not at the center either !

Makes you wonder.

Enjoy.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Some people believe the end of the universe is very far from us. This is incorrect.
The end of the universe is in Houston, Texas.
comedians.comedycentral.com...

[edit on 3/31/2010 by Phage]

From a Houstonian i will say yes you are very correct. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
The universe ends here and it ends exactly at my ex wifes house lol

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I believe it's infinite. But i also reckon the infinity works in the other direction too. i.e. Go inside the atom, a mini solar system. Then into its smaller parts, the protons netrons electrons, then quarks, super strings, then......?? Infinity outward and infinity inward. If this were true, then size, dimension time etc would all have to be illusory. To my perception, the sun is vastly huge. But in terms of the universe it is atomic in its proportions. One inch, could in fact also be one mile-if i make myself small enough. In terms of space/time and self, the way we perceive everything is i believe, a grand illusion. We are under a spell. Ask Alice!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I found some new info related to this.

Check out my thread on the general structure of the visible universe!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

It's a 12 sides pentagon sphere thingy ?

I read the wiki explenation but I don't understand it one bit.
Accept from symmetrie and golden ratio, I never even heard of the rest.

Do you know what the theorie is about ?

new topics

top topics

join