It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea defector touts ideology over force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Washington (CNN) -- North Korea's highest-ranking defector said "ideological warfare," not military action, would help topple the regime of Kim Jong Il. "We don't need to resort to force," Hwang Jang-yop told a small audience Wednesday at the Center for Strategic International Studies, a Washington-based think tank. "We need to use ideology and markets and diplomacy. We need to take a lesson from the cold war." Hwang, an 87-year-old former secretary of North Korea's ruling Workers' Party, was in Washington meeting with academics and policymakers on his second trip to Washington since defecting in 1997 during a trip to Beijing, China.

I wanted to post this because I have been studying about the history and current situations North Korea has been facing since it's formation.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Since I assume they have loads of nuclear weapons, then what kind of force could there be except for cold-war style nuclear war and mutually assured destruction? As I argue in another thread that mentions North Korea, states like it serve a crucial function in the West in that we only appear "free" in comparison to them. So it is not in the interests of NWO power to change or negate them now, or in the forseeable future. The Nuclear countries like the US, France, China have not followed treaties to reduce and dismantle their arsenals. Without the demonized Iran or North Korea how could they (or their semi-rogue state allies, like Israel) justify their massive arms spending and build-up. North Korea benefits the Western power superstructure ideologically, because no matter how rights are limited and trampled on in the "free world", it still seems better than North Korea.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Ideologies between the two countries, NK and US, are so far apart that we do not understand them. We think they are brainwashed, lack understanding of the rest of the world, do not want peace, and so forth. Because of this rice curtain, we feel less restrained in their destruction. However, we need to open their borders with diplomacy, travel throughout their country, meet their people, and find out that they are not so different from us.

We can do that in Russia now. We have done it in Iran lately.

Funny how not meeting people (countries) makes us suspicious of them, and they of us.

How well do you know your neighbor next door? The people walking by on the street? Lock your doors at night? Lock your car doors? Avoid going downtown after dark?

Well, there you go....

new topics

join