It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 100 April fools Hoaxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Its that time of the year again already!, I chose a couple from the list I hadnt heard of before, one wonders what is planned for this year.

10: Planetary Alignment Decreases Gravity
1976: The British astronomer Patrick Moore announced on BBC Radio 2 that at 9:47 AM a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event was going to occur that listeners could experience in their very own homes. The planet Pluto would pass behind Jupiter, temporarily causing a gravitational alignment that would counteract and lessen the Earth's own gravity. Moore told his listeners that if they jumped in the air at the exact moment that this planetary alignment occurred, they would experience a strange floating sensation. When 9:47 AM arrived, BBC2 began to receive hundreds of phone calls from listeners claiming to have felt the sensation. One woman even reported that she and her eleven friends had risen from their chairs and floated around the room

#12: Flying Penguins
2008: The BBC announced that camera crews filming near the Antarctic for its natural history series Miracles of Evolution had captured footage of Adélie penguins taking to the air. It even offered a video clip of these flying penguins, which became one of the most viewed videos on the internet. Presenter Terry Jones explained that, instead of huddling together to endure the Antarctic winter, these penguins took to the air and flew thousands of miles to the rainforests of South America where they "spend the winter basking in the tropical sun." A follow-up video explained how the BBC created the special effects of the flying penguins

#28: Wisconsin State Capitol Collapses
1933: The Madison Capital-Times solemnly announced that the Wisconsin state capitol building lay in ruins following a series of mysterious explosions. The explosions were attributed to "large quantities of gas, generated through many weeks of verbose debate in the Senate and Assembly chambers." Accompanying the article was a picture showing the capitol building collapsing. Many readers were fooled—and outraged. One reader wrote in declaring the hoax "was not only tactless and void of humor, but also a hideous jest." Nevertheless, in 1985 The Science Digest named this as one of the best hoaxes ever

#3: Instant Color TV
1962: In 1962 there was only one tv channel in Sweden, and it broadcast in black and white. The station's technical expert, Kjell Stensson, appeared on the news to announce that, thanks to a new technology, viewers could convert their existing sets to display color reception. All they had to do was pull a nylon stocking over their tv screen. Stensson proceeded to demonstrate the process. Thousands of people were taken in. Regular color broadcasts only commenced in Sweden on April 1, 1970

The link
www.museumofhoaxes.com...

Wasnt sure where to place this thread, Thought it must be current as today is the 1st.

Edit to add: well its after lunch on the 1st here in Australia

[edit on 31-3-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I know one year at gualph they stole cows from a near by farm, put them in one of the buildings (forgot which one) and then built brick walls half a foot away form ever door into the building.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

if the universe is infinite, some where is living tolit paper, everytime it #s it has to use some from its own roll, and when it runs out THEY DIE!!! lol

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

And because infinity is unity, that toilet paper and you are one!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I like this one:

#4: The Taco Liberty Bell
1996: The Taco Bell Corporation announced it had bought the Liberty Bell and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell was housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed, a few hours later, that it was all a practical joke. The best line of the day came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale. Thinking on his feet, he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold. It would now be known, he said, as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.

That sounds hillarious!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
AHHHHHH it begins!
Who to trust.... who to trust...?

www.googleblog.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by misfitoy

Lol how doughy would you have to be

A different kind of company name
Early last month the mayor of Topeka, Kansas stunned the world by announcing that his city was changing its name to Google. We’ve been wondering ever since how best to honor that moving gesture. Today we are pleased to announce that as of 1AM (Central Daylight Time) April 1st, Google has officially changed our name to Topeka.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Way to kill my April Fool's panic moment.... (was just trying to set the mood of the day).

Actually I've already been seeing people on other forums taking it quite serious, until someone points out the obvious. I guess some people skip right over the April 1st date. Gotta love the 'time' on the blog too, lol.

Oh, and as a reminder to all... April Fools Day has been known to bring about the Trojans, worms, and such... so be extra cautious about what you click on today! (I already came across one in the Timewave Zero thread... mods jumped right on it!)

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a classic one here, the great Spahgetti harvest

new topics

top topics

join