It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

homosexuality is not a choice. we know that

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
its already known that homosexuality is part enviromental and part genetic.

can it be 'fixed'?... scientifically speaking yes, but it is not a choice. i don't see it as a lifestyle, being the scientific community had to take it out of the books as a disorder only because of the large base of people who had a problem with it. but it is a genetic disorder; animals are meant to reproduce, being that homosexuality disconnects that need, it is a genetic mutation.

we are the only animal that doesn't need to reproduce to not be affected by 'survival of the fittest'...but that doesn't change the fact it isn't "correct".

i can understand why people who are confused about this topic. just remember jesus can't fix them.

but on a different note. the gay community deserves rights, but not as homosexual people, but just as people...it confuses me that people still push them around. if you hate them, hate them; but don't consult your bible to show how right you are about how wrong they are. we live in a science-minded world...or at least "we" do.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by tektek2012]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
My position is... What if it IS a choice? It doesn't matter. The anti-gay crowd always shrieks "It's a CHOICE"! like that has some meaning.

I say, "So what if it is"?

I don't care if it's a choice or not. ALL citizens of the US deserve equal rights. Period.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
seriously? another thread about homosexuality in the philosophy and metaphysics board? please, make it stop? why not post it in the religion forum where most of the other antigay and progay threads are? i don't want to have to take this board off my favorites because it's swamped with back and forth over one topic like some other boards i've had to.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tektek2012

You can only fix something if it is broken. Being gay does not mean you are broken.

Furthermore, there must be doubt as to whether you can truly convert gay people into straight people. A gay person can perhaps prevent themselves from acting out on their gay impulses by undergoing extreme measures like aversion therapy and the like. Have such gay people been "converted" into straight people, or are they just repressing their homosexuality?

One must also ask if such gay "conversion" techniques are doing more harm than good. Perhaps "converted" gays are better off being gays people living out of the closet than constantly having to constantly struggle with their true feelings. Perhaps the damage the "treatments" for homosexuality inflict on the patients is far greater than the damage a gay lifestyle could ever bring.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The people who say it's a choice are struggling with homosexuality themselves. They think "hell, I can resist a nice firm man-butt, why can't these queers?"... Yea, they're gay too. They just don't want to admit it, or they don't know any better.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

exactly. it is slightly a subconscious choice in terms of the enviromental stressors that can affect ones being.

my old best friend is gay, and i can easily say that one of the main reasons is his being adopted, the confusion of that plus him being a minority while his family is white...is a stressor that has been proven to increase the chance of becoming gay.

but one thing i have to stress is that it is a genetic mutation. homosexuality in terms of animals is a threat to their survival as a species. so i honestly have a hard time seeing being gay as a just a lifestyle. it is a little more serious than that

also i'm only posting this because people constantly are posting their religious beliefs about homosexuality...they hold no ground, just like anything based on faith...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I honestly don't know why people care , People need to focus on themselves more and work out their own issues instead of being involved in other peoples personal tastes. If a dude likes another dude , that's their business. Who am I to tell them what to do and what not to do. As long as they're happy , leave em' alone. With all of the problems we have in this world , some are truly spending time and energy debating if it is a choice to be gay or not. Really?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

haha exactly. i'm comfortable with my sexuality. i think guys are disgusting! i honestly can't see what they like in guys. haha

but to each is own

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

its just kind of upsetting how our country isn't evolving with the times. just as the church did with copernicus and galileo and their heliocentric claims...blasphemy! lol

i truly feel religion is still stalling our scientific claims... and its sort of upsetting for the 21 century

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
[edit on 1-4-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think you're born liking who you like.. I remember when I was young, I first started to like women (i'm a man, btw).. That was never a choice for me, it was an unstoppable instinctual drive that was one day "flipped on," and I've never seen a pretty looking girl that I didn't want to sleep with since

Look at those republican congressmen who are getting into all sorts of trouble lately; they vote against gay rights, and then they go out and get caught with male prostitutes and at gay bars... They can't control what they like. It's just a shame that we live in a society where people want to punish them, and they basically have no choice but to go along with it or lose their jobs.

Prejudice is an ugly thing.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

i'm sorry. i posted this because of how much of them that keep popping up in here. =[

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I'm a live and let live guy , You can only enlighten some people. If someone want's to keep their blinders on and be chained to their dogma , far be it from me to tell them otherwise.

We are all on our own personal journeys here , I naturally gravitate towards like minded free thinkers , but I try not to chastise ignorant people , they have a G-D given right to be ignorant.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Does this thread even need to exist. Reposting an existing thread with an opposing view seems to be a trend that has no purpose other than being a star and flag fest. If a thread already exists counter to your ideas, why start another? Anywho......who cares, if it's a choice or not, if it is, homosexuals make that choice. Being gay isn't a crime, but forcing your beliefs and ideals on others is wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Actually...we don't know that.

Science has yet to make a verdict.

Sure, we can speculate and argue. That's all it is though, speculation and somewhat educated opinion.

As a gay man, I say it wasn't my choice, but I can't say it's the same for everybody. I do believe environmental factors made a difference.

It's not a black and white issue.

We just don't know.

Claiming any differently is ignorant.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

In a way, I sometimes wish I could be lured or tempted into homosexuality. Seems a lot easier. Plenty of easy, no-strings-attached sex if you want it. Let us not forget oral sex. You don't have to deal with some woman always yapping at you. Unfortunately, I just cannot get over the whole sex with a guy thing.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Science has proven nothing about sexuality. We know nothing of origins, it is hypothesised that it COULD be a genetic or a "environmental" occurance.

However, there are many kids, that have had a gay parent (who has come out later in life) and they and their kids have not turned out gay.

You must have missed the thread where homosexuals on this forum TOLD everyone that it was by no means a choice.

As a hetero, im getting kinda sick of this crap - insulting people purely because you want something to be a certain way, it's not cool and it certainly is not denying ignorance.

The mods should delete this thread - from my professional standpoint, these threads do nothing but cause arguments over something that has no real baring on anything in the grand scheme of things. It's a form of cyber bullying to bring attention to something that is not any of anyones business. Why make the homosexual component of this site feel marginalised by starting threads about their sexuality?

Im going to request this thread be closed, like i said befor ein the other thread, as a hetero, it makes me sick to see how other, less accepting individuals treat the idea of homosexuals and homosexuality.

Get over it.

this thread is a waste of space.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Refreshing viewpoint.

Nature or nuture? Does it really matter?

I recently felt a pang of guilt as I pondered the upbringing my "sister" and his gay sibling. I reached the conclusion that I should mind my own damn business.

If I and others mind our manners and our business there shouldn't be a cause for friction.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FeralMonkeyMagic

Now that's what well mannered looks like!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Refreshing viewpoint.

Nature or nuture? Does it really matter?

I recently felt a pang of guilt as I pondered the upbringing my "sister" and his gay sibling. I reached the conclusion that I should mind my own damn business.

If I and others mind our manners and our business there shouldn't be a cause for friction.

Unless the children are in some danger, then yes, you should mind your own.

That's my philosophy.

Although I will agree that I have called social services a few times on a gay couple who have kids in our community, that are really in a bad situation and are not in a position to raise children in a healthy environment.

I even offered to take the kids while they sorted their issues out.

My and my husband have raised 4 and we thought, " what's two more".

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join