It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega-Flood Triggered Cooling 13,000 Years Ago: Scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Mega-Flood Triggered Cooling 13,000 Years Ago: Scientists

abcnews.go.com

By David Fogarty, Climate Change Correspondent, Asia
March 31, 2010

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Scientists say they have found the trigger of a sharp cooling 13,000 years ago that plunged Europe into a mini ice age.

Mark Bateman from the University of Sheffield in England said a catastrophic flood unleashed from a giant North American lake dumped large amounts of freshwater into the Arctic Ocean.

This led to the shutting down of the Gulf Stream ocean circulation pattern that brings warmth t"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.physorg.com

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Warning to the uninformed: Sarcasm follows:

13,000 years ago. Shades of the Niburu passing anyone. At least it adds more weight to the global flood argument. There are those who say, as I'm sure many of you have heard, that the Earth goes through a worldwide cataclysm every 13,000 years or so. More fuel for the fire? Thoughts? Could there be more to the 2012 date than meets the eye? Keep watching the skies for that Brown Dwarf everyone...

//Sarcasm ends

abcnews.go.com

[edit on 3/31/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

What I'm interested in here is a theory of cyclic sudden global climate change. And the fact that recorded history goes back only about 13,000 years or so.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

13,000 years ago. Shades of the Niburu passing anyone. At least it adds more weight to the global flood argument. There are thse who say, as I'm sure many of you have heard, that the Earth goes through a worldwide cataclysm every 13, 000 years or so. More fuel for the fire? Thoughts? Could there be more to the 2012 date that meets the eye? Keep watching the skies for that Brown Dwarf everyone...

abcnews.go.com

Well if people say a disaster occurs every 13,000 years wouldn't that mean a disaster occured around the birth of Jesus 2,000 years ago?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

2000 years ago is not 13,000 years ago. We're due for disaster according to the 2012 proponents.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

"Well if people say a disaster occurs every 13,000 years wouldn't that mean a disaster occured around the birth of Jesus 2,000 years ago? "

Well that would be the disaster.

Sorry, couldn't help it, someone had to say it,no offence meant.

Interesting article OP, thanks for the info.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
archives.chicagotribune.com...

"Scientists find signs of 13,000-year-old extinction event
Comet may have exploded over planet, causing fires, die-offs, researchers say."

It is interesting that recorded history goes back only 13,000 years or so...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If you wiki the Flood myth you will find that all cultures have a story of a great flood and then coming from a hidden place or area to repopulate the land. I think the flood happened from the ending of the last Ice Age and it's true that fresh water may have been trapped in the Glacial walls of North America. Around New York the ice sheet was over 1 mile thick, and during the melting process its entirely possible for a massive water lake to be trapped in the glacier. And when it became to heavy to hold back the glacial wall broke and the water came rushing out. It happened in the upper plains also in North America.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What does this have to do with Nibiru? Does everything have to do with Niburu? Can't you just stick to reptilians. And where does the 13.000 year cycle and 2012 come in? Do you have anything to back this up or are you just talking total garbage?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
What does this have to do with Nibiru? Does everything have to do with Niburu? Can't you just stick to reptilians. And where does the 13.000 year cycle and 2012 come in? Do you have anything to back this up or are you just talking total garbage?

You're right. This has nothing to do with Nibiru. There is no companion brown dwarf star that orbits through our solar system every 13,000 years triggering worldwide climate and other earth changes. I was just talking total garbage. I supppose you could sort through the 90,000 hits on Google for "13,000 year cycle apocalypse" and come to the same conclusion. There is no galactic alignment in 2012. Nothing to see here folks, move along, move along. All is well. Buy. Consume. Obey. Submit. Sleep..

www.google.com...=1R2TSHB_en&complete=0&hl=e n&source=hp&q=13%2C000+year+cycle+apocalypse&btnG=Google+Search&fp=467c3568f2eec009

I don't think I've ever mentioned reptillians.

Barbequed iguana sounds good though...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

You're right. This has nothing to do with Nibiru. There is no companion brown dwarf star that orbits through our solar system every 13,000 years triggering worldwide climate and other earth changes. I was just talking total garbage.

Thanks for clearing that up! I thought you were serious for a minute!

I can see where draining a giant lake would have global effects by shutting down the Atlantic ocean currents. However I don't see what this would have to do with a global flood. Draining a giant lake into the ocean doesn't equal global flood.

Just for curiosity I typed "Elvis lives" into Google search and got over a million hits, now what is the number of hits we get when we Google something supposed to prove?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

All I was trying to say was that if the poster was interested to know how 2012, Nibiru and a 13,000 year cycle had to do with any of this, he could look it up on Google. There are tons of sites out there with the info. A ton of stuff here on ATS as well. Just use search. I don't have the time or the inclination to present hours of background information on these "theories". And I am aware that there are many, many, many flood myths from around the globe. I guess my point is that recorded history goes back only about 13,000 years, and there are a variety of theories which attempt to show that there is a cycle of global cataclysm every 13,000 years or so. Whether it's due to recurring ice ages, phantom planets, dark stars, reptillians or Louie Anderson is anyones guess. I just keep wondering about the 13,000 year roadblock we come up against when looking back into recorded history. And now I'm off to put on my tin foil hat and do some remote viewing of secret underground reptillian Nazi bases on the moon that were filmed in the Nevada desert. All while on '___'...

Can't we just talk about the supposed sudden climate change of 13,000 years ago?

edit: typo

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
12,000 for “Michael Jackson is alive.”
10,100,000 for “The Earth is hollow.”
55,300,000 for “the Earth is flat.”
11,000,000 for “The Tooth Fairy is real.”
84,900,000 for “I am the greatest person on Earth.”

The Internet is fast becoming one of the worst sources of information we have.

The article is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. This is the first I seen this proposed due to the draining of Lake Agassiz.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Arbitrageur

Can't we just talk about the supposed sudden climate change of 13,000 years ago?

Yes we can and should. It fills in a gap that is important.

How the Meteorologists of today think they know anything at all about climate and weather cycles boggles the mind. A tiny fraction of the data they need and they have the nerve to predict anything beyond the next couple of days.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Normal Climatic conditions, and environmental changes, floods, earthquakes, new species, volcano's asteroids all change the weather patterns with the sun, and pollution.

So without Niburu or lizards or crazy gold digging life forms this is just another small event on the geological history of the earth.

What is of interest though is that as the Greenland ice sheets are melting, they are affecting the part of the ocean that in 3 or 4 columns draws water done by northern Europe Atlantic, where it is conveyed deep, getting nutrient rich before rising and heating by the Americas, Caribbean.

This has been measured in recent years to be up to only 30% of the "norm" as in the amount of energy this system now has.

So we can see from these records what will happen when Greenland finally goes and no more cold water can drop down on that part of the system.

I will let all those interested research it themselves the info/articles/studies are very easy to research and well known.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 31-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

I have personally stood inside the breech below Pocatello, Idaho and collected rock that originated in Northern Canada. When you stand in the middle of it, it takes your breath away imagining the forces involved. Old shorelines are visible in many area's and some even have fossil shells high in the mountains from when they were shorelines quite recently in history. There have likely been many such ages and many such floods.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Take the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" for instance. A plot device in the film proposed the desalinization of the oceans as a mechanism for sudden climate change and the onset of a new ice age. This is interesting stuff. What could happen if the polar ice continues to melt. Could the North Atlantic Current be tipped toward desalinization, and would that actually cause an abrupt ice-age like climate shift. What if recorded history is in fact interrupted cyclically (13,000 years, 26,000 years etc.) due to these global climate shifts. Perhaps this an explanation for so called "young-earth creationism". None of this is new. I just found the article interesting and thought it might tie in with cyclic extinction level events, whatever their cause. I suppose we won't know untill the next one, as recorded history only goes back to slightly after the last one. And everything else is simply folklore and tarnished religion.

edit: spelling

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here's a related article for your reading enjoyment:

Ancient flood path that sparked prolonged cold snap traced
By Margaret Munro, Canwest News Service March 31, 2010

www.montrealgazette.com...

"Scientists say they have uncovered the path of a colossal flood that swept across northern Canada 13,000 years ago, plunging the northern hemisphere into a prolonged cold snap."

edit: typo

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Here's an intersting thread that ties in by ATS member Scott Creighton:

Earth Wobble 12,000 Years Ago Creates Green Sahara

ngm.nationalgeographic.com...

edit: spelling

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The immense amount of water that spilled across upper North America must have been an awesome sight. Centuries of glacial meltwater collecting into the worlds largest lake suddenly spilling into the ocean.

the story of Lake Agassiz, which used to be the world's largest lake, covering a huge million-square-kilometre patch of what is now northern parts of Manitoba and Ontario.
www.montrealgazette.com...

Great link

It likely started as a trickle that soon became a roaring torrent making little old Niagara Falls seem like a dripping tap. Almost impossible to visualize.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Fossil shells in the mountains?

There are fossil shells on the top of Mt. Everest.

Explain that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join