It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean President orders military on ALERT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

South Korean President orders military on ALERT

wire.antiwar.com

South Korea's president ordered the military on alert Tuesday for any moves by rival North Korea after the defense minister said last week's explosion and sinking of a South Korean ship may have been caused by a North Korean mine. Defense Minister Kim Tae-young told lawmakers Monday that a floating mine dispatched from North Korea was one of several scenarios for the disaster.

"North Korea may have intentionally floated underwater mines to inflict damage on us," Kim said.

North Korean suicide squads known as "human torpedoes" may be behind the explosion, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Tensions have rachetted up on the korean peninsula..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

with Kim Jong dyin and all the possible scenarios swarming around regime change in North Korea, these are VERY tense times on the Peninsula. Let have a look at the Military Balance:

NORTH KOREA
Active Military Personnel: 1,170,000 [2008]
Active Military Reserve: 4,700,000 [2008]
Active Paramilitary Units: 189,000 [2008]

ARMY
Total Land-Based Weapons: 16,400
Tanks: 3,500 [2006]
Armored Personnel Carriers: 2,500 [2006]
Towed Artillery: 3,500 [2006]
Self-Propelled Guns: 4,400 [2006]
Multiple Rocket Launch Systems: 2,500 [2006]
Mortars: 7,500 [2006]
Anti-Aircraft Weapons: 11,000 [2006]

NAVY
Total Navy Ships: 708
Merchant Marine Strength: 167 [2008]
Major Ports and Harbors: 12
Aircraft Carriers: 0 [2008]
Destroyers: 0 [2008]
Submarines: 97 [2008]
Frigates: 3 [2006]
Patrol & Coastal Craft: 492 [2006]
Mine Warfare Craft: 23 [2006]
Amphibious Craft: 140 [2006]

AIR FORCE
Total Aircraft: 1,778 [2006]
Helicopters: 612 [2006]

SOURCE: globalfirepower.com...

SOUTH KOREA
Active Military Personnel: 687,000 [2008]
Active Military Reserve: 4,500,000 [2008]
Active Paramilitary Units: 22,000 [2008]

ARMY
Total Land-Based Weapons: 8,325
Tanks: 1,060 [2004]
Armored Personnel Carriers: 2,480 [2004]
Towed Artillery: 4,000 [2004]
Self-Propelled Guns: 500 [2004]
Multiple Rocket Launch Systems: 185 [2004]
Mortars: 6,000 [2004]
Anti-Tank Guided Weapons: 58 [2004]
Anti-Aircraft Weapons: 1,692 [2004]

NAVY
Total Navy Ships: 85
Merchant Marine Strength: 812 [2008]
Major Ports and Harbors: 4
Aircraft Carriers: 0 [2008]
Destroyers: 6 [2004]
Submarines: 20 [2004]
Frigates: 9 [2004]
Patrol & Coastal Craft: 75 [2004]
Mine Warfare Craft: 15 [2004]
Amphibious Craft: 28 [2004]

AIR FORCE
Total Aircraft: 538 [2004]
Helicopters: 502 [2004]

SOURCE: globalfirepower.com...

US FORCES KOREA
Eighth Army (Yongsan Garrison, South Korea)[1]

2nd Infantry Division, (South Korea)
1st Brigade Combat Team & 2nd Infantry Division Combat Aviation Brigade stationed in Korea; rest of Division in Fort Lewis (Washington)
65th Medical Brigade
19th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, (Taegu, South Korea)
501st Sustainment Brigade, (Camp Carroll, South Korea)
35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade (Osan Air Base)
501st Military Intelligence Brigade (Yongsan Garrison)
1st Signal Brigade
SOURCE: en.wikipedia.org...

8th Fighter Wing, stationed at Kunsan Air Base.
The 8th Fighter Wing is made up of two F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter squadrons, the 35th Fighter Squadron, and the 80th Fighter Squadron.
51st Fighter Wing, stationed at Osan Air Base.

The Seventh Fleet is the United States Navy's permanent forward projection force based in Yokosuka, Japan, with units positioned near South Korea and Japan. It is a component fleet force under the United States Pacific Fleet. At present it is the largest of the forward-deployed U.S. fleets, with 50–60 ships, 350 aircraft and 60,000 Navy and Marine Corps personnel.

wire.antiwar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-3-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Could the North have a secret weapon? Something not mentioned and not nuclear?

What if things get messy in the middle east. Do you think they will come across? If they get nuked they could pull out their secret weapon, if they have one.

What could it be? Could it be some form of ET technology?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, because I truly do not mean it that way. I wonder though what makes you jump to that very first thing, about having some sort of secret weapon? Why would they need a secret weapon? What does "ET technology" have to do with this at all? Are you saying that nuclear weapons aren't enough? Also, if they do get nuked then I highly doubt we will have to worry about any sort of secret weapon after the fact, what is going to be left? They obviously would want to nuke tactical targets, such as any sort of secret weapon. I am just confused by your post all around.

N and S Korea, as everyone knows, are always having issues similar to this. Now, if anything comes of it or not, we shall have to wait and see I guess.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

on the contrary, Kimg Jong Ill is on his last throes... anything could happen... the guy is a dying psychopath who i doubt gives a damn about anything therefore anything is game. he could decide to go out with a bang. afterall, they did say something about unexpected consequences er some damn thing close to that, but they used the word "unexpected".

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
on the contrary, Kimg Jong Ill is on his last throes...

Yup, if anyone wants to do something about North Korea, now is the time to make your move. You could use that South Korean war ship that was sunk as a good excuse and you'd have the full support of the majority of your citizens too. If the south attacks, this will be a war that will be fought, won, and over by next week.

Oh, and good luck to the south, this is long overdue! FREE THE PEOPLE!!!

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

If they had a secret weapon I couldn't tell you anyway. Besides how am I supposed to know?

The ETs control the earthquake weapon in my bizarre mind, and the celestial types have the doomsday weapon. We must not cross them or "poof" a new asteroid belt.

This is a job for James Bond. Send him to South America and find the angry ET with the button for the earthquake machine at least. He is a shopkeeper with hidden tentacles and has a beautiful, exotic, ET assistant who will tempt Bond.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Anything could happen, yes, and it has been that way for years. Here is an article from 2002 for example: North and South Korea trade charges over naval crash

I'm not sure how different things really are, this isn't exactly new. Now, will he actually act this time? Who knows, hence, we shall have to wait and see as I said.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

i respect your opinon but i beg to differ again sir. yes, tensions have been up and down for 57 years, technically these nations are still at war. what makes this diff is not only is Kim Jong Ill on his deathbed sorta speak but also North Korea has nulled and voided the ceasefire agreement that "ended" the war in 53... anotherwards they are no longer bound by it. that only happened a few months ago... clashes have occured on and off for years however they have been more frequent in the last 6 months... the new south korean administration is taking a more tougher stance on the issue as well. so they say anyways...

[edit on 31-3-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I fail to see how aliens have absolutely anything to do with this and why we better not cross them because of something that happened with N and S Korea. I also fail to see how any secret weapon plays into this; they have nukes, that is more than enough of a threat. You clearly exist in a different reality than myself. While there is nothing wrong with that, it makes it hard for me to have any sort of conversation with you.

This could be the start of another world war, it could be cause of a war between the two countries or it could be more of the same and nothing may happen. Only time will tell.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That's what makes this board so fun, we're all allowed our opinions!

By the way (and it may be more true this time) he has been "on his deatbed" more than once before.

That being said, I would have to agree with you in that, at the very least, the guy is extremely unstable and anything could happen.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

Thanks for being polite. I come here when I'm not at PokerStars. Both North and South should dispatch diplomats to help diffuse the situation.

The recent events in Russia are troubling. Wait, look. See if there is a spike in oil prices and a drop in the US equity markets. If something is about to happen the "big boys" will get an early tip off and act on it.

Re: Earthquake weapon? Something doesn't seem right, but what is it?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If open warfare breaks out in Korea it will be because the regime in the North of the country is on the brink of collapse . North Korea would have little trouble over running there Southern Neighbors and the US and its allies would be unable to send reinforcements . The US military presence in Western Europe and Korea is for political expenditure rather then sound military planning , possible a very grave mistake .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, because I truly do not mean it that way. I wonder though what makes you jump to that very first thing, about having some sort of secret weapon? Why would they need a secret weapon? What does "ET technology" have to do with this at all? Are you saying that nuclear weapons aren't enough? Also, if they do get nuked then I highly doubt we will have to worry about any sort of secret weapon after the fact, what is going to be left? They obviously would want to nuke tactical targets, such as any sort of secret weapon. I am just confused by your post all around.

N and S Korea, as everyone knows, are always having issues similar to this. Now, if anything comes of it or not, we shall have to wait and see I guess.

He wasn't making some kind of legal statement you Muppet!

He was just bouncing ideas around, don't take things so seriously!

top topics

join