It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Troop move to Mexican border under consideration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
______beforeitsnews/story/29104/Obama:_Troop_move_to_Mexican_border_under_consideration.html

President Obama weighed in Wednesday on the escalating drug war on the U.S.-Mexico border, saying that he was looking at possibly deploying National Guard troops to contain the violence but ruled out any immediate military move.

"We're going to examine whether and if National Guard deployments would make sense and under what circumstances they would make sense," Obama said during an interview with journalists for regional papers, including a McClatchy reporter.

"I don't have a particular tipping point in mind," he said. "I think it's unacceptable if you've got drug gangs crossing our borders and killing U.S. citizens."

he says he's not interested in militarizing the border but that is what hes considering isnt it? lol I think that i am for militarizing the border... to an extent... not only to whack at the cartels but to stem the flow of illegal immigrants. it does however put our troops at risk of being sucked into an even bigger role in the drug war in mexico.. so i suppose Obama is doing the right hting here in carefully considering it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It's about time!

But do it for American safety, not the War On Drugs. How serious can that war be when we have troops guarding all the poppy fields in Afghanistan instead of burning them down??

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well now... This is news of an "it's about flippin' time!!" sort.

But, I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have never really understood why the hell the US Government doesnt build a 'Berlin Wall' along the US/Mexican Border. Yes, the cost would be high initially, but it would soon repay itself.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think we have to consider what the rules of engagement will be.

If the National Guard are merely backing up the border patrol, it makes no sense.

There also has to be a policy dealing with the gangs that are distributing the merchandise that the cartels are delivering.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Not gonna happen at least in an effective manner. Didn't Obama promise that he would get right on amnesty to a couple of Hispanic reps to buy their vote for Obamacare? It's gonna be hard to pass amnesty for these people if we have troops on the border.....unless they pass it unconstitutionally as well.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Exactly. It's just talk......to buy him time and placate the masses of Americans who are pissed off at the immigration/illegals and the drug violence. And you really think these drug cartels will think twice about waging war on the national guard? They execute their own police chiefs for crying out loud. Afterall it's the national guard......not some super elite special forces/marines or something. LOL.....Obama is an idiot.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
id totally be for a wall except there is a stigma attached to walls (gaza, berlin,etc.) it would create alot of controversy i think but in evitable your right, it would pay itself and it would keep out most drugs from mexico to america and stop most guns to mexico from america, bam problem solved.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
he wont do anything ever!

the more illegals that are here and they ram immigration reform down increases the demcrooks votes.

that rancher murdered still doesnt even have any effect- which it should.

immigration will continue to get worse when the people down south think they are gonna come to america get a free house,free car and free healthcare.

and if you think liberals will do anything to cut off their weed source- your highly mistaken.

god help us.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by neo96]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Obama - just call CIA!

From your direct order they can stop drug cartels...

Oh you wont call? What a surprise!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

How would a Berlin Wall pay itself on the border when the US gets money from this "War on Drugs" there's a reason a wall has not been but up...and the walls that have been put up can easily be passed

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goradd
reply to post by Wotan

How would a Berlin Wall pay itself on the border when the US gets money from this "War on Drugs" there's a reason a wall has not been but up...and the walls that have been put up can easily be passed

It would pay for itself by reducing/stopping the black economy. I know walls have stigmas attached to them, but I really dont see any other solution to the US's southern border problem.

A wall coast to coast with US Coastguard Gunboats at each end would stop a majority of the 'wetbacks' from crossing.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
actually he says it... but as for him keeping a promise...... yea, right

This guy has no intent to do anything except make himself look good, and nothing is going to be done down there and if he even does anything it is going to be so hands tied ...that the guys and gals that do go there are gonna get shot up...

remember we must not offend the delicate psyche of the criminal element... The guy does not have the cajones for a real fight with those animals

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Mexico has tons of resources, maybe they'll use Mexico as a stand in for Iran? With the economy the way it is and the proximity to Mexico etc..

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Silverado292]

new topics

top topics

join