It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

You know the answer to this, I have observed certain atheists acting as the OP outlines and agree that the actions in their very absurdity and at times hypocritical nature does tend to point to one who does not question their premise.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jagdflieger

Hey no big deal we all have a place in this world and we all have our beliefs but to judge someone on theirs is just ignorance at best you believe what you will I will believe what i will just understand if you come at me with yours I will give you mine. I would love if we all would just agree to not agree.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

Not very subtle in your attempt to equate the atheists with the reptilians. Nice.

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

No. You talk about god like a chick who's been dumped by her boyfriend and will do anything to get him back.

Apologies to all the ladies in this situation, there is nothing funny about it, but you will discover that the guy is not worth it, and he doesn't deserve you.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

See "The dumped chick syndrome" above.
Again, apologies to the ladies, the crude language is only used to wake up the believers.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have recently become and Agnostic. But I think I might be a Deist because I don't believe in religion or any of the gods of religion, instead I think god is simply the answer to things that are completely unanswerable to mankind, and it is our creator. Whether this 'god' is like the god of Abraham religions or is just a high spirit I do believe it created the world and here's why. And it's truly only one reason that stops me from being an atheist.

Atheists believe in science and rationality, and obviously the big bang theory. Now, if that theory was created by man how can it ever be proven? You would first need absolute nothing, then create particles that explode and expand to create something. So the number one question is, how can something be created by nothing? So if according to any form of science it is impossible to create something from nothing than something higher than us must have created everything. It's the only explanation.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread557111

As if the OP stated all atheists were thus, unquestioning. Which was not the case and had he said that I would be leveling the same accusations you do. But you act as if he or she had, infering at the very least a small amount of identification with the portion singled out and applying black and white *all or nothing* thinking that is bringing people into a uproar despite the fact it has not been stated as a black or white statement.

No, and I'm not sure how you're getting an inference of identifying with the "unquestioning atheists". My posts in this thread were all clearly quoted and organized and quite clearly written. Other than "Defend what in my last post" I suppose that was a poor phrasing on my part and I apologize.

This thread was made in retaliation for another stupid thread, they're certainly free to do it, but it's childish and well below ATS.

That I agree with. But to take pointing out that there exists those that are unquestioning that are part of the body of what we call atheism as an attack on atheism is also foolish.
When did i do this?

I distinctly remember pointing out that this thread as the other thread is was foolish, but I don't remember taking it as an attack on atheism as a belief system.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

This thread was made in retaliation for another stupid thread, they're certainly free to do it, but it's childish and well below ATS.

And where was it stated that it was written for that reason? Don't take this the wrong way but it seems you are confusing your subjective opinion for objective fact.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

And where was it stated that it was written for that reason? Don't take this the wrong way but it seems you are confusing your subjective opinion for objective fact.

Not at all; an observation based upon what is most likely due to the trends observed in the past here on ATS.

List threads come and go along with various other topics that are well heated, they almost always generate retaliatory threads. It a theory, I certainly couldn't state it as a fact.

It seems very likely that the entire reason for this thread was that the original was perceived as an attack on the OPs faith, as evidenced by his reply to my first post.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

[edit on 31-3-2010 by trueperspective]

Atheism is not a religion. It's a lack of religion. You need a lesson in logic. It's ridiculous to expect your opposition to prove a negative. Why don't I ask you to prove the Universe wasn't created by 100ft tall pink elephant?
Can't do it? Well, under your logic that means that we should just go ahead and assume a giant pink elephant created universe.

How many millions of people once believed the Earth was flat? How many people believed in the Greek and Roman Gods? How many people were accused of being Witches and burned at the stake or hanged? The fact that a lot of people think something is true without any evidence whatsoever proves absolutely nothing.

Under the scientific method, one makes observations of the world before even attempting to form a hypothesis. Why? Because nothing would get accomplished if we sat around obligated to disprove every hypothetical theory possible.

You began with a premise and then sought to find evidence to support while simultaneously disregarding anything that seems to contradict it. It's unfortunate that you're so insecure about your superstitions that you automatically accuse those who disagree with you as being hostile to you.

Curious George and Harry Potter were written by people too. Humans are capable of writing both fictional books and books based on real world facts.
Science books don't present something as a fact without evidence. They provide measured and analyzed phenomenon of the natural world. Science doesn't carry power based on the number of people who blindly follow it - its power comes from repeatable experiments that are constantly scrutinized to ensure their validity over time. It's power comes from the ability to

How can we "condemn" God when we don't think he exists? If you see an atheist picking stuff out of the Bible, it's most likely their attempt to show you the factual and logical inconsistencies of the Bible that you don't seem to care about or even acknowledge.

If someone got mad at you for threatening them with "eternal damnation in hell," they were probably annoyed that your method of conversion is through fear and ignorance.

Science rewards critical thinkers and innovators who take the science and put it into practical application for the world to enjoy. I don't spout off quotes from anyone that aren't supported by facts, verifiable evidence, and testable hypotheses. Did religion lead to the invention of the automobile, the airplane, or the space shuttle? Nope.

Of course, you'll continue to use technology like your computer while simultaneously alleging that science is a myth. That makes you a grade A hypocrite.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'm currently non religious, but was raised Anglican. I wouldn't say I am an atheist, but certainly have no faith in a Church that claims to be all about love and forgiveness (ANY religion) but then goes out and attacks others in the name of their religion (ANY religion, not just Muslims).

The hypocracy of the Church is amazing.

1) Preach love and compassion, and then have people in positions of trust sexually (and by other means) abuse those that were entrusted to their care.

2) Be the richest landowner in the world, and expect parishoners to tithe 10% of their income to you every week.

3) The Pope is in control of the world's biggest fortune, and criticizes people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet (who give away BILLIONS) for not doing enough to help society.

4) Claim to be tolerant of others, and then lambast homosexuals, jews, muslims, and any other group that don't hold the same view of the Church.

5) Claim to be impartial to politics, but then donate large sums of money to political campaigns around the world.

6) Claim to talk about truth, and then have some of the biggest fraud scandals in the world.

The list of hypocracies goes on and on. I can't give my faith to an organization that has so many intolerances and lies.

I am spiritual, but my spiritualness is of my own making, following concepts from around the world.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

heh, you know that got me thinking, computers were created by man right?

But to a computer, lets say, probably has no idea we even exist. To it, we are just some 1's and 0's inputting from some device attached to it. (if a computer could think, it might just think we are some sort of "strange force")

Perhaps we are trying to understand god with our own limited abilities that the creator gave us, and it is impossible. Perhaps the creation just cannot fully ever understand the creator. Or we would have all been made gods.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

reply to post by mattifikation

And had the shoe been on the other foot and this had been one in support of your "side" and the mods "shut it down". You'd be screaming about how ATS is hostile to atheism.... Funny that.

Actually, there IS such a thread... another member just pointed it out. I've made the exact same post now in that thread, because in my opinion BOTH threads are a sad, sorry disappointment. I'm all up for some good religious vs. atheist debate, but these mocking lists are juvenile. Threads like this don't "support" anyone's side, they just make us all look like bigots on both sides. ATS can do better than this.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by mattifikation]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I am an Atheist how ever my Daughter attends church 2 or 3 times a week I will not interfere with her beliefs because i was raised the same way if she one day decides to not believe then that will be her decision I will not try to persuade her either way. I made my decision on my own and that is the way it should be.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Top 10 signs you're dependent on a religious crutch to get through life:

10. You make silly lists filled with semantic toilet water and draw attention to it as if it's a bubbling virgin spring.
9. Think other religions such as Hinduism are far fetched and ridiculous on their face, but a virgin having a baby without the benefit of sex makes perfect sense.
8. Life scares the crap out of you.
7. You're sure you have all the answers and are content to NEVER put that personal belief to the test.
6. You think dinosaurs and man coexisted despite overwhelming evidence that they did not.
5. Believe god loves you and only wants you to love him back, but if you don't he will torture you without mercy for eternity.
4. Thinking that one Bronze-Age man and his sons built a boat large enough to house a pair of all land dwelling species on the planet. All 33 million of them.
3. God was his own son, plus a 3rd entity existed inside him.
2. A talking snake made someone eat a magic apple.
1. You have a convenient self-delusion for when you whisper in the dark to an invisible sky daddy and ask him for things. If you get them, he answered yes. If nothing happens, he answered no.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by trueperspective

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

You mean like math, physics, chemistry, etc? How do you believe in something that works? You are using a computer. You don't "believe" in computer. It's right there working.

As to the rest of points, they're pretty much nonsense. I might respond to some of them later.

Whatever your belief system is, in the end it comes down to faith.

When you read the Bible, you have to have faith in the author's, God, and the translator.

When you read a textbook, you have to have faith in the subject, the author, and the Texas Textbook Committee.

It all comes down to faith in the end.

In fact, the more you learn about Quantum Physics, Number Theory, or Computer Science, the more you learn just how much faith you need to go deeper into it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
how does this have anything to do with ATS?...mods...please designate this pathetic troop-rallying manifesto to the trash can where it belongs: belowtopsecret

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

I'll take a stab at this...

ANSWERS from an BORN-AGAIN Atheist:

>> First, it is NOT a religion -- even if someone annoyed you. People have strong opinions and might badger you that "American Idol" is awesome. That doesn't mean that watching people sing every week is a religion. If I do not believe in a Flat Earth -- I don't need to go to church to prove GRAVITY and that the earth is round -- the ABSENCE of a theory or a religion is not proof of a theory or a religion. If someone says; "I'm an Atheist" -- then they aren't really religious. You may HAVE a religion -- that doesn't mean you are ANTI-Atheist does it? Just as people who are not for mother's having babies unplanned are FOR killing babies -- this is just trying to negatively frame the argument. Fewer babies end up dying in countries that make abortion legal and give women rights -- so instead of moralizing -- we just want a GOOD RESULT. Are you against Moms but for Babies

1) No, it's primates. Your "assumption" that an Atheist might not think that Aliens or some other "intelligent life form" might have tinkered with Humans is nonsense. It is just as likely as anything -- however; the SCIENCE that proposes the various theories of evolution are solid on one fact; LIFE ON EARTH EVOLVES.

The "Intelligent Design" argument cannot be proven or disproven -- so it isn't even a theory yet in scientific circles. It's an interesting thought -- but really, it was just an excuse to weaken Evolution Science in text books -- the "Intelligent Designer" gets to be Gawd and not really a green alien.

2) I do accept "a God" -- just not any sort of "The God" who is going to bail us out, and has an infinite Universe as a backdrop with us on a pedestal. We are probably one of an infinite number of lifeforms in this infinite Universe -- so a "god" is inevitable.

"Saying GOSH DARN" is not really anything more than our culture. It's not a sign of religiousness -- just a sign that it's a common meme.

3) I despise ignorance --- and using a "book of peace" to justify prejudice, war and oppression is sad if not ironic. Being dedicated to "unprovable TRUTHS" as a sign that you are a good Christian, used to be something I can tolerate. but more and more, it appears to me as something dangerous, because it allows for people to be manipulated. I hold out a sliver of thought that it would be NICE if Jesus were something real -- maybe even an "afterlife" -- though I doubt many of us can retain any identity past getting knocked on the head -- much less for eternity. If everybody concentrated on making this world a better place, and "contemplated" all this other spiritual stuff -- but never fought over it. That would be really, really NICE.

4) Nothing is organized about Atheists. They are just annoyed and many of them are FORMER Christians. At a Unitarian Church I've gone to (no, they are not even MOSTLY Atheists), we have many former Jesuits and Catholics. Most of them are quite aware of what is being taught -- the LEAST angry Atheists are most likely NOT former Christians.

Again, you are saying this is a religion, which is nonsense. You repeating something over and over does not make it so. How do you define a religion besides having some sort of "dogma?" Dogmatic people are annoying -- so, people debating about Windows and Macintosh are "religious" -- perhaps only in the sense that religion typifies debates that are never settled and nobody bothering to listen. That doesn't seem to me, anything other than Dogma.

There is no huge attack on religion -- just a lot of people making jokes.

5) You'll have to look up "Cult" sometime. Not all religious people are brainwashed; just the people who became religious after;
a) they became "christian" when they were 4 years old and unable to use critical thought
b) replaced an addiction like "drugs" with the same fervency (addictive personality)
c) had their ego crushed by some trauma or depression -- basically, not arriving at the decision through strength.

The rest merely convinced themselves and were NOT brainwashed.

Repeating points made by other people means what? Ramming an idea down other's throats -- you mean like Mangers on Christmas? Trying to get kids in school to do "prayer" and notice how uncomfortable the people are NOT murmuring their Hail Mary's?

6) Are we repeating here? Your'e saying it's OK for you to cram opinions down other's throats but not for them to defend themselves? I guess that's the whole point behind "saving souls" -- since you are trying to prevent me from everlasting torture, I suppose you've got more of a right. Until we "up the anti" we have no defense for our Hypocrisy -- so you have my apology.

7) You see, if the stories are real -- God really does suck -- it's pretty hard for me to get this "he changed his standards" when the Jews were massacring everyone. If these stories are NOT true, then the Bible is full of crap -- which historically, it's on shaky ground, unless you listen to all the people who say; "everything got proven" over and over. If you are a Christian, however, stop reading the "Bible" and use the "New Testament." Sheesh!

You are not following the logic here; If true -- then bad, if False -- then of course, God isn't so bad, but the bible isn't about him but a bunch of myths.

The Net Testament, by the way, is ripped off from previous myth's of a Son of god, 12 disciples and coming back to life -- it's a popular theme, older than the planet.

8) 2+2 =4. Now you try it -- you should be able to come up with the same number. The only "unquestioning reading" going on here is with the religious side. Science has to prove itself, and has methods to overturn previous theories -- it doesn't pretend to have all the answers. Science and Religion can co-exist. It isn't an either-or thing and Science doesn't try to PROVE God doesn't exist. But the Miracles, are more and more reproducible through science -- so if God is going to help us out in some observable way, He'd better hurry up or we'll be re-growing bodies and even evil people will live a long, long time.

For all their "faith" in "eternal rewards"--- Christians seem to cling to life with more tenacity than most unbelievers I know.

9) I find it hard to believe that there is any point to torturing someone for "all eternity." For that matter, singing hymns on a cloud where YOU are YOU forever and ever and ever and ever -- seems almost as bad and pointless. Re-incarnation makes more sense to me. Personally, I figure I'm just part of a larger consciousness that "samples" my life, and I'll be re-absorbed. It's just a THEORY however and I'm working on some tests I could conduct.

10) The # of people who say something does NOT compel the Universe to make it true. MOST of the beliefs held by people throughout human history have been wrong -- are you trying to go against precedent? Are you interested in blood-letting and taking spoonfuls of mercury? Einstein was just one guy -- one really smart guy. He was right and thousands of Physicists before him were wrong on some key issues. TRUTH, isn't about taking a vote -- it exists outside of us and is part of reality.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

When reading the bible you have to understand it from a historical context as well as its spiritual and literary context.

Also known as a process of discernment. It requires exercising the critical faculties. Something that non Christians seem to believe Christians lack.

Strange how one book can speak to so many on so many levels of human understanding and awareness as well as relate to diverse human experience and nature.

The bible itself is rife with symbolism and supposed contradiction and you have multiple accounts of the same exact event from multiple authors.

Which indicates Biblical understanding of human diversity, that we are each a unique individual who will experience and understand our environment in our own unique way.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by teapot]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by largo
reply to post by DISRAELI

For the Agnostic Camp.
Questions we ask once.

An excellent set of questions.
Once again, a sense of humour emerges. If we can find enough people in all three camps with a sense of humour, we might be inching towards a little bit of common ground.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
how can you question a non-belief?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join