learn more

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Can an evolutionist explain one question for me? I am not trying to be rude or anything for that matter, but this question has been eating away at me for some time.

If we descended from a common ancestor with the apes, where did our ancestor descend from? And so on?

Again this question was eating away at me and I just had to ask, so what better place!

Google.com

it's usually a good tool to use before you post questions here.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
@Equinox99

well the long and short of it is that all life is theorized to have derived from amino acids formed from chemical processes here on earth while the earth cooled and from amino acids that fell on earth from comets that struck the earth during its formation. these acids formed into microorganism over millions of years and eventually developed into the wide diversity of life we see today.

Now this is just a theory i dont think even i believe it. but i have a thought. could both sides to this arguement be right? why does one side have to be right?

follow me here and be as critical as possible because i really have no proofs of this nor does this follow any canon. but perhaps god is real and jesus was real and all that but the scientific processes we see in the world around us are his tools and evolution was the way he "MOLDS" us. And every interpretation of religion in the world(all of which have the SAME common themes) are different interpretations of the same thing. and perhaps we were meant to understand it because we obviously have evolved the ability to grasp complex ideas. this would mean there is a god. a god built off and encompassing all things scientific which we can understand but never fully understand as that is the nature of science.

just a thought but opinions welcome. also i am new so i dont know if this post is even appropriate. if not feel free to let me know.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by knowonder]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

There is evidence to show that it happened that way.

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

Atheists are often demonized. We have to explain why we don't believe in gods, and well, that takes a lot of talking about gods to do. Furthermore, why do you say "God?" Atheists deny the belief in all deities, not just yours.

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

I have no idea what you're talking about, but my best guess is evolution and/or abiogenesis. There is evidence to suggest that abiogenesis is very possible, and we know evolution as fact.

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

Atheism is not an organized religion. Atheism does not demand the worship of anything or make any supernatural claims. Atheism is simply the disbelief/lack of belief in a deity.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

Not all of us are word smiths. What's the point in saying something if someone else has said it better?

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

Richard Dawkins works for the public understanding of science and to make atheism an accepted and acknowledged stance. We do not cram our beliefs (Atheism doesn't require any beliefs at all) down anyone's throats, but there are groups that reach out to atheists who may not have "come out of the closet"

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

The best way to show you that it's nonsense is to use the stories themselves as examples.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

Wow, are you really making a dig on science?. Science has enabled our civilization to have the technologies we have today. Scientific text books are written with information from that same system. Science is self correcting and peer reviewed, with repeatable experiments that show us things such as why plants bend towards light (photo-tropism.)

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

It's a pretty harsh for someone to say "you're going to burn and anguish for eternity." The very idea that someone would say that with conviction is upsetting. To me, it's akin to saying "I'm going to rape your entire family." You'd be pretty upset if someone said that to you.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

There are millions of Hindus. Does that prove that Hinduism is fact? By your logic, it does.

Also. research isn't necessarily done by atheists, and it's not done with atheism in mind. We can test the effects of plant hormones and show what each particular hormone does. It has nothing to do with someone being an atheist.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

Isn't funny how much the warring extremes of this pointless debate tend to mirror each other? It is a source of unending hillarity and frustration for me....

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Yet both sides attempt to smash their ideology into the other's head endlessly. It is my honest opinion this is nothing more than more divide and conquer powerplays amongst those that believe their ideology can save the world of a fractious people. Despite such ideals failing time and time and time and time again.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Can an atheist explain "out of body" experiences? . Or science

This gives no credibility to there being a god at all. Just because science can't explain it (I dont think it can) doesnt mean there a god.

Just like they did in the old times when the bible was written: attributing the unkown with a giant spaghetti monster that floats in the sky

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
note that both atheists and religious people act the excat same way.

some people are just outright stupid. relgion and science need to work together. you put the two together and BAM you get a huge picture of life.

My opinion God isn't a giant man sitting on a cloud with #ed up ideas. "God" created the universe (something did)
have you guys ever thought that maybe God made evolution for us to eventaully come in the picture? of course not too many people are busy aguring with eachother about who is right and who is wrong.

the answer is most of you are wrong, judging others of thier belifes then craming yours down everyones throat saying "my idea is the right one dont listen to tim" while mean tim says my belifes are right dont listen to lisa

its the same pointing fingers at eachother instead of trying to find an answer a REAL answer, and we are never going to get that by aguring with eachother.

In a sence God is real but not the way christianity views him/her/it (they see him like santa clause ever notice that?)
while atheists get angry when someone says they have faith.

final assassment? out of all the planets in the universe WHY didi get stuck on this one? seriously im sick of stupid people. wish i was dead so i can be reincarnated on a planet where people are SMART!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

We believe that we had ancestors completely different to us yes, this is based on evidence.

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

We talk about a God when we are debating religious zealots, as the zealots are responding it means we are about equal in the amount of discussion. However this isn't true, most atheists are simply rsponding to the religious because the religious are doing their best to teach things which are in direct conflict with evidence. We don't like education being messed up.

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

Time and chance? I guess you are talking about evolution by natural selection. If you had any clue about the theory then you would realise that chance has nothing to do with it.

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

If one person speaks out against something they disagree with and someone else agrees with that view, are they then in an organised religion? If so then all political parties are religions.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

You must have read everything that has ever been written by every single atheist to come to this conclusion. I am an atheist and i have never read a book by Dawkins, Hitchens or any of the other famous atheists. I have no interest in them and yet you make this sweeping generaliztion. You are deeply indoctrinated to hold this view when it is so blatantly incorrect.

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

This is again incorrect. If the religious stopped trying to force religion into public schools and stopped teaching ideas that were in direct conflict with the evidence then atheists would have no reason to debate you anymore.

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

We are pointing out the hypocrisy in the book yes, just as we would any other book. This is again in direct response to the religious zealots forcing it down our throats. If the religious did not preach to us we would not respond! sadly the religious feel it is their duty to preach and so we end up responding.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

What nonsense. There is a clear difference, the science textbooks can be tested. I can go out right now and test the idea of a plant cel having 2 walls by grabbing a microscope and looking at a leaf. The Bible in contrast cannot be tested to see if it is the word of god.

Your willingness or inability to see the distinction says a great deal.

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

How would you feel if people constantly made out you were immoral? How would you feel if you were demonised by society? How woul dyou feel if someone constantly badgered you and told you such a thing over and over? Actually hang on you are making a post about atheists, obviously being todl there is no god and your religion is nonsense upsets you enough to post this thread. It's the same thing really.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

Testimony of believers is not evidence, there is nothing quantitive about it and we do not simply trust the atheists. You do understand that there are Christian scientists right? they believe in evolution as well.

Still it's odd that you make a thread about atheists and then talk about us ramming it down your throat.

If religious people like yourself stopped making threads and arguments like this then we atheists would stop responding.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

From those vastly smarter than I:

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can.
Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

Whatever you laugh at in others, laughs at yourself
Harry Emerson Fosdick

"Laugh at yourself and at life. Not in the spirit of derision or whining self-pity, but as a remedy, a miracle drug, that will ease your pain, cure your depression, and help you to put in perspective that seemingly terrible defeat and worry with laughter at your predicaments, thus freeing your mind to think clearly toward the solution that is certain to come. Never take yourself too seriously."
Mandino, Og

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Very good list. Seriously, atheists don't make any sense these days.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Not even one of these made sense.

Religious people will group together and flag anything... Oh what is the use? You've got to cling, what could be worse than accepting that your whole life has been based upon false ideals from the first century?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Oh boy, this is gonna be fun!

Honestly dude, if you're going to try to ridicule a large group of people, at least pretend to know what the hell you are talking about. The general consensus is that mankind evolved from lower mammals, not lizards.

Also, there are a great many atheists that believe mankind's evolutions has been drastically altered by an outside force, be it aliens or meteors or whatever. However, we do not think that whatever force that guided our evolution also created everything everywhere by saying a few words over the course of a week.

Ummm, no. The only time we usually discuss our point of view is when some religious fruitcake decides to harp on us for what we think. An example of this can be found on this site where most atheist\believer threads are started by the pro-religion side attempting to bait people with absurd overly generalized statements, usually listed and numbered.

Ummm, what? Are you saying time and chance do not exist? I don't get what you are trying to say here. And nobody despises "faith". Everybody has faith, everybody. I have faith in my car that it will start in the morning when I need to go to work. I have faith that the supermarket will have milk, eggs and charcoal when I need it. The car may not start and the store may be out, but I have faith. The difference is I don't put my "faith" in an invisible man who lives in the sky and ignores the people he supposedly loves so much.

Here we go again. "Atheism is a religion". Whatever dude. I can not understand how someone can look at an empty space and continuously claim that there is something there that is not there, ie, religion.

As opposed to blindly following a 2000 year old heavily edited and contradictory book? Also, don't most religious people spend a few hours a week just sitting there listening to someone else read it, and paying for the "privilege" of listening to him? How much of that money goes to god? Does he have a Swiss bank account or something?

Oh, so now we get to judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a single person? AHEM(Eric Rudolph)COUGH COUGH. Sorry, had something in my throat. By the way, I have never heard of an atheist going door to door trying to "cram our beliefs down your throats", Christians, on the other hand.......

No, we are simply trying to understand why the bible, witch is the infallible word of god remember, contains so many contradictory statements.

Ahh, but those science books you so dearly hate all contain REPRODUCABLE RESULTS. I have yet to see someone turned into a pillar of salt, part a sea, flood the Earth so thoroughly it covers everything, walk on water, raise from the dead or float up to heaven on a cloud.

What? This seems like random rambling to me, I cant make sense of what you are trying to say. We are saying god doesn't exist because we get mad?

Saying what you believe and testifying to the truth are 2 different things. And it isn't just those atheists who are researching, how come in the last couple thousand years no believer has found even a tiny shred of evidence that some sort of omniscient all-powerfull being exists?

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Tiloke]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Hm, how do you logically reconcile the idea that everyone who flagged the thread is a "religious" person? Or are you claiming psychic abilities?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Letmypeoplego

No, it does not prove the existence of God. Of course, I am unable to do that.
I am of the opinion that you have to look for certain things in life, or you will never find them. Most people that have out of body experiences, have them because they briefly "died", and it changed their life.
I sought it out through meditation, and, it changed my life. But, I did not stop there...
but,
I am not here to impress, or change anyone's mind.
(Good thing, huh?)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

eek, i loved the op!
i do have one comment though, on this:

who's saying the lizards weren't higher intelligence? i mean, God created everything, even lizards, and he created many races of angels before he created us. so how'd ya know he didn't create intelligent lizard people, who were more advanced, technologically, than we were initially? it doesn't have to be so black and white, in fact the bible doesn't describe these particular pieces of data in black and white, with the exception of the tendency to mistranslate the serpent.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
“To understand everything is to forgive everything”

“The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.”

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and
no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”

“Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”

-buddah

Buddha: Atheist or God?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

Honestly dude, if you're going to try to ridicule a large group of people, at lease pretend to know what the hell you are talking about. The general consensus is that mankind evolved from lower mammals, not lizards.

And "lower" mammals came from the same protolizards lizards came from.

The first fully terrestrial vertebrates were amniotes. Like amphibians, they have lungs and limbs. Amniotes' eggs, however, have internal membranes which allow the developing embryo to breathe but keep water in. Hence amniotes can lay eggs on dry land, while amphibians generally need to lay their eggs in water.

The first amniotes apparently arose in the late Carboniferous. They descended from earlier tetrapods, which lived on land already inhabited by insects, and other invertebrates, and by ferns, mosses, and other plants. Within a few million years two important amniote lineages became distinct: the synapsids, which include mammals; and the sauropsids, which include lizards, snakes, crocodilians, dinosaurs and birds. Synapsids have a single hole (temporal fenestra) low on each side of the skull.

SOURCE

As for the rest.... Meh..... Just because there are people who as you claim does not negate the fact there are those that act as he was talking about.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

[edit on 31-3-2010 by trueperspective]

My troll senses are tingleing.

"You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind."

Well it does being lizards and monkeys and banana's actually exist yet not one person has proven god to exist. However i am open to opinions and if you have any evidence to the contrary please provide it.

"You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots"

I talk about zeus alot as well *gasp* that means he exists .... oh man zues ain't gonna like this.

"You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”"

Time and chance are an absolute certainty time and chance dictate we will all die. Faith meanwhile asserts that you will go to a magical kingdom in the sky where you will be judged by an omnipotent being (who by the way has refused to give us empirical evidence that he exists, something a god should do) on weather or not you believed in him.

"You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs."

Religious people are brainwashed to believe in any number of things from Allah to Xenu to believe in a better death after-life (excuse the pun) while atheists are "brainwashed" to believe in rational thought peer review and healthy skepticism before jumping to conclusions.

"Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)"

There is a difference beetween cramming beliefs down your throat and standing up for science and reason if someone said to you computers ran on pixie dust would you not challenge them?

"You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist."

This has to be the STUPIDEST argument I have ever heard. Atheists use the bible to inform christians of how retarded yes thats right RETARDED the bible is here are a few gems of "wisdom" rolleyes.jpg

"I have given you every herb ... and every tree ... for meat."
Since many plants have evolved poisons to protect against animals that would like to eat them, God's advice is more than a little reckless. Would you tell your children to go out in the garden and eat whatever plants they encounter? Of course not. But then, you are much nicer and smarter than God.

"He made the stars also." God spends a day making light (before making the stars) and separating light from darkness; then, at the end of a hard day's work, and almost as an afterthought, he makes the trillions of stars

"He rested."
Even God gets tired sometimes.

"One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men"

Yes that is a pickle we have gotten ourselves into after all it's not as if science has advanced over 2000 years.....OH WAIT. Also we have a little system called peer review wich i thin you'll find is VERY effective.

"You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist. "

Let me reiterate my earlier statement "not one person has proven god to exist" and if "god" really wanted to he surely could move a mountain or spell out "hey guys it's god here just wondering how you are." accross the alps no problem. Secondly it is impossible for you to feel sensation without your body so even if there was a soul and there was a hell you would feel nothing.

"You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

And for this i use my favourite quote from Seneca the Younger - "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

Thanks for reading.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Well yes. I still don't get how with the bible being a guide for your soul, and a very moral book, in the eyes of believers, they are saying murder is justifiable if you are killing Gays. I bet you some people still follow that today.

I did a little psychological test on my post. Adding things like !! ?!, and wording it differently makes people have different thoughts about me.
Anyways, I'm not an Atheist.

Hi,

I felt the need to respond because I have asked myself the same questions about religion, the Bible, and violence and I finally decided two things:

1. Mankind will always find a way to justify killing each other no matter how ignorant or wrong.

2. If you do have a Bible, then tear out every single page except for the four gospels. Everything else in it is crap.

Even if you dont believe in God, you can still learn from the teachings of Jesus. The tenants of Christianity worth keeping are only in what Jesus did and said. Paul's teachings are words of a bigot dressed up as morality designed to separate people, not unite them. Jesus said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone," not "my sin is better than your sin so get off my lawn."

What really angered me is when "WWJD?" was at the height of its popularity, because Christians asked, "what would Jesus do?" then answered with what Paul would do.

Anyway thats my short version

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It's just not worth it. ALL of you people need to quit bickering over religion. Don't we have more important things to do?

Just realized... religious people will say, "there's nothing more important than god's work".

And the non-religious people will say, "F'in aye right".

Right back where we started. *sigh

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join