It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by maximiliian
Athiest are nothing more then people who have a dim view of the world

How incredibly bigoted

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What a horrible post.
You dont have to believe in evolution to be an atheist. Even the term "Atheist" is stupid. There is no word for not believing in Santa, or a term for not being a doctor...But, for some reason, there is a term for not believing in the giant spaghetti monster (god) that lives in the sky.

And, I am sorry but not believing in the giant spaghetti monster (GSM) is not a religion. It is only an observation, thats it. I don't believe in the GSM because there is no reason too..."But the majority of the planet believes in the GSM, is the majority of the planet crazy" and the answer is yes, the planet is crazy....If the whole planet jumped into a deep dark whole, would you? because...."10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded" means that you would.

"8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men"........How naive can you be...really? The Bible was written at a time when nobody new what a rainbow came from or how a volcano erupted, nor did they know anything about microbiology or even how the body functioned. If we understood the natural world we lived in from the begining then the GSM would have never come up. The GSM was born out of mans ignorance, the GSM is Man made. But we created a GSM so that we could tell ourselves and others "We do not need to understand the natural world, we have the GSM and through him or it or whatever we understand the world" And Its so totally bogus...

Some of these points makes me think that you had an argument with someone and are projecting their reasoning onto the ATS board as if its what we all think, like "2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots"....What?

You should change the Title of this post to "Signs religious dogma has control over you if you think an atheist is 1 out of these 10..."

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Letmypeoplego]

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Letmypeoplego]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I know the OP believes the response to the christian thread is clever, but the lack of intellectual depth is astonishing. While it may seem tempting to take the bait, any intelligent responses will hardly be engaged with worthwhile discourse.
Oh, no, it's quite 'intelligent'. He makes a thread, and then about an hour later, responds with, "I'm at work, so I can't respond, but I'm laughing at the responses. Ha Ha Ha, I love me religion".

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I LOVE this post. However...

I believe in God
I just hate religion

So what does that make me?

link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

[edit on 31-3-2010 by trueperspective]

I am an Atheist and am going to go over my view of these points.

1. I don't think we came from lizards. Or monkeys for that matter, and if "A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth" means a very intelligent non human species, then yes.

2.For the most part, i only talk about this subject when it is somehow brought up to me or to my attention, otherwise no.

3. To me, "time and chance" can very much go hand in hand with "faith". What gets me mad is that the word faith has been taken over by religious meaning. Faith doesn't have to be bound to that. For example, I have faith that the Cubs will win the world series.

4.In my opinion a religion has to "worship" someone or something, so no. I don't worship other Atheists. A group does not constitute a religion.

5. I do believe that a lot of them are, yes, but when I argue against it, I try to use intelligent logical arguments form WHOEVER that may be as well as my own pov.

6.To be honest, I am guilty of that. But it's hard to argue your point without in some way not coming off as trying to convince the other party that they are wrong. The fact is (and this can go for any argument) that you do think the other person or party is wrong or you wouldn't bother trying to respond. Were all guilty of this one.

7. It's called using your own points against you. Plus, see number 6 above.

8.I agree that science CAN be wrong. But there are many reasons for that. But science HAS provided a lot of what we know to be fact also. I think the bible has not.

9. No one has ever told me that, but if they did, i would say there is no hell and I believe in no God for that matter so I'm not going anywhere. Then I would probably tell them what they can go do with them self.

10. I flip this one right back around to the religious people. This one goes both ways. I personally try to back it up with facts or at least what I consider "damning evidence". I strongly believe there is no God. when I die, when we all die, we will find out the truth one way or the other, and if I am wrong, then I'll be wrong, what am I gonna do? It's as simple as that.

link   
Oh jeez, look what I started...

1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

I don't quite buy the current version of Evolution. I think there was some kind of intervention as far as us humans are concerned.

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

I have no problem with god. Just not the god that's depicted in popular mainstream religions.

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

I despise the idea of faith when it comes to following a religion - specifically taking texts like the bible literally and basing religions off of it. Why can't the bible just be followed as a book? With the faith deal, it's all or nothing.

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

Nice play on words.
You guys do the same to us Agnostics or Atheists, so don't even. And how is Agnosticism a religion? Agnosticism is about being neutral! That's what I am - Agnostic.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

Weak argument. And I don't do that, myself. But no offense, some religious people DO seem brainwashed. Some will not accept any thing else except for what they interpret from the bible or whatever religious text. Religious folks just shoot right back to the bible. I, as an agnostic, am constantly looking for answers. CONSTANTLY!!! I will change my mind or "upgrade" a thought if I find that the old one doesn't match or something. Do bible beaters do that???

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

Who the hell is Richard Dawkins? I didn't get that from that dude! I found/find that out the hard way! Another weak one!! Come on! This is too easy.

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

This is actually a good one. I personally don't claim it's "nonsense". I think it's ridiculous to take it so literally when it was written at a time when there weren't enough words to explain things that REALLY went on, and also the fact that there was a certain "dialect" (if you will) to old texts. For a book written 1900 years ago (NT) and about 3,500 years ago (OT), people take it 100% literally! What's your argument on that????
Like I said, I try to modernize it - read in between the lines. Some things are more coherent than others. But there is indeed some good stuff in there!

The 10 commandments (The moral ones, at least - not the "Do not have other gods before me BS, etc.).

The Proverbs

Jesus's words

- A lot of good insight. But like I said, to take the whole entire book literally - especially the OT just sounds ridiculous to me! It was written in archaic tongue!!

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

Easy one: Science book were written by people WHOM WE KNOW OF. The writers of the bible are shrouded in some mystery.

Plus, things in science books are based on empirical evidence. If not, it is clearly stated that it's a theory.

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

Of course some of us do! That's messed up! Like I said many times before - I believe in "A" god - just not your god - I believe your god existed or still exists, but he totally isn't what you think. My perception of god isn't juvenile enough to judge someone because of it's own creation's mistake (Adam and Eve), and then send them to an eternal hell because the ever-so-cunning Satan tricked them. Us humans (According the literal story) are caught in the middle of Jehova and Satans own personal crap. Gimme a break.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

Believing and Seeing are two different things!
And by Atheists, do you indeed mean Scientists? If so, don't make me laugh.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by impaired]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Faith and atheism is arrogant at best. Just accept your own ignorance and we will all be better for it.

You believe in god. How can you be so sure?

You don't believe in god. How can you be so sure?

I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ok, I guess I should ask ten questions, and hopefully, get at least one answer in return.

1. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

2. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

3. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

4. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

5. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

6. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

7. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

8. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

9. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

10. What does this have to do with conspiracies in religion?

And those were just off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I'm an atheist and I refuse to get involved in debates with religious believers anymore. Our world views are miles apart so we will never agree. So stick that one on yer list

Not really

You atheists and those religious believers have such similar ideals, it's sickening to me

You people are so engulfed with hatred toward each others' ideas, you no longer qualify as civilized persons. You completely fail to use logic.

You can no longer separate an idea from the idea's beholder.

That's how you all fail.

You can't fight an idea. Religion is not the problem, people are the problem.

You're the type of person who would blame a gun for a murder

I love tearing new holes into people like you in my religious study classes. Don't ask me why I take those classes. I couldn't care less about whether or not God exists, I just like to show how stupid you one sided debaters are with one simple phrase.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

Great OP I responded to the other thread. My favorite

Indeed, atheists have placed just as much faith in science, which changes with time, as spiritually minded people have in God.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What a contradiction of a thread...

Being an Atheist defines you as a questioning human being. You question the fact if there is a higher creator or not, but most likely not. You choose science over fairy tales and beyond.

We use stories from it because they're f**king INSANE and illogical.

This thread = fail.

Next please.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
my views on someone who has to talk so much about how god doesn't exist and quote verses from the bible about how it doesn't exist is just like 90 percent of religious people...at some point an addiction whether it be drugs, alcohol, smoking, or sex addict didn't seem to pan out for them so they let their addiction go and just traded it for a new one...religion ...being an athiest seems pretty close to that...and yes everyone is right when they say it's a sign of weakness thats how all addictions are...sorry don't mean to offend anyone

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Indeed, atheists have placed just as much faith in science, which changes with time, as spiritually minded people have in God.

Science is based on fact. Faith is only applicable to the Unkown. Faith in science is an oxymoron.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Letmypeoplego
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Science is based on fact. Faith is only applicable to the Unkown. Faith in science is an oxymoron.

Having faith in God means you might as well have faith in Santa.

And that's the way it is.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Can an evolutionist explain one question for me? I am not trying to be rude or anything for that matter, but this question has been eating away at me for some time.

If we descended from a common ancestor with the apes, where did our ancestor descend from? And so on?

Again this question was eating away at me and I just had to ask, so what better place!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Would you like me to write the top 100 reasons your religious? Because that sounds like a much more prevelant topic then this one.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by NoJoker13]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

1. Dinosaurs aren't considered lizards.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm atheist and none of the 10 points applies to me. I believe what I believe because of my own judgement.

Other people can people believe what they want to believe. It's their business, not mine.

No skin off my nose.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Star and flag. Awesome thread!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I decided to go ahead and post this question.
Can an atheist explain "out of body" experiences?
Or science.
An out of body experience, at the very least, you are outside of your body looking down on yourself, the room and others that may be around you.
I have experienced it.
This of course would mean seeing without eyes, at the very least as well.
Also, MANY others have had out of body experiences.

Not sure if any atheists have, I would be curious...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join