It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tektek2012
While its true that some Atheist's are only so for ignorant reasons...the idea of atheism is questioning how a society can be so sure of an all knowing being.

atheist's are a much more existentialistic people.

I think that is just you falling into the pit of "me better than them" syndrome.

My group ____ is more ____ than theirs is.

That is why I put the label "stupid" on both sides. It fits.

Both sides are _____.
(If you guessed stupid, you win!)

Did I hear someone say:
"No wait my side is more stupider than their side!"

I know I know, both sides are quite the achievers.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

It is a fact that people pick and choose from the bible... otherwise there would be stonings and beheadings.

Fair enough, and i will concede to you on this point.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Nice post. I have posted on another thread elsewhere on this august forum dealing with Christians. I think most of you know which one. There are extremists in each camp. Militant atheists are just as bad as militant Christians, militant Muslims, militant Hindus, militant fans of Ferrari, militant fans of Manchester United, and Real Madrid. The problem is that atheists do not really want to understand the Bible. They pick and chose what passages to question while by passing the really compelling ones. Check this out Biblical Prophecy - Daniel's 70 Weeks. I posted this expecting a horde of atheists and agnostics to come running with refutation on the subject. All I got was the sound of crickets and a couple of believers saying "good post". Maybe it is that the non-believers don't wish to address this issue (or prophecy). When you read that an atheist has claimed to have read the Bible, ask that person, "Then what is your response to Daniel Chapter 9. You will probably hear crickets.

Well at least militant atheists and militant Christians do not tear up the stadium

[edit on 31-3-2010 by jagdflieger]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield

It is a fact that people pick and choose from the bible... otherwise there would be stonings and beheadings.

Sorry if I made it complicated to prove this point.
Honestly I don't care about this Atheist vs Christian thing. Today I'm just bored, and decided to argue with people.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
Nice post. I have posted on another thread elsewhere on this august forum dealing with Christians. I think most of you know which one. There are extremists in each camp. Militant atheists are just as bad as militant Christians, militant Muslims, militant Hindus, militant fans of Ferrari, militant fans of Manchester United, and Real Madrid. The problem is that atheists do not really want to understand the Bible. They pick and chose what passages to question while by passing the really compelling ones. Check this out Biblical Prophecy - Daniel's 70 Weeks. I posted this expecting a horde of atheists and agnostics to come running with refutation on the subject. All I got was the sound of crickets and a couple of believers saying "good post". Maybe it is that the non-believers don't wish to address this issue (or prophecy). When you read that an atheist has claimed to have read the Bible, ask that person, "Then what is your response to Daniel Chapter 9. You will probably hear crickets.

People usually don't go to BTS to much. that's probably your problem.

I'm not an Atheist (Agnostic), but I do understand the Bible. I can point out good and bad things in the bible. If anyone really wanted me to, I could find the parts of the bible I am talking about on this thread. All of it comes straight from the bible.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

For the Agnostic Camp.
Questions we ask once.

1. Have the nut-bags gathered more grist to grind?

2. Are we sleeping in on someone's Sabbath?

3. Are there angels or quantum dots dancing on that pin-head?

4. Did god have a big or small g?

5. What are the Buddhists doing?

6. Do these zealots just make it up as they go along?

7. Does the desert heat make you crazy?

8. How come hymns either put you to sleep or on a war footing?

9. How come god is on the side that wins?

10. If that works, what's wrong with revolution or evolution?

You only answer them once if you're rational.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

Obvious troll is obvious.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Well you think the non-believers would rise to my challenge, or are they turning to the referee and claiming my challenge is a foul, and expect a penalty kick.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm terribly sorry but if your point is that it's funny atheists are questioning or talking about God more than believers, then I am logically inclined to wonder how the believers can so firmly believe something they talk about less than those they consider to be wrong. Case and point.

Furthermore to consider yourself anything blanketed (Atheist, Agnostic, Christian) is the result of illusion. I know hundreds of Christians whose beliefs all vary depending on what you ask them about religion, and that doesn't seem too organized to me. The same point echoes with atheists and agnostics. I don't agree with labels I think people believe what they believe and interpret it how they interpret it, based on their upbringing and genetics.

Science merely explains the perceivable world, not everything. Mainstream science is ignorant to the metaphysical, and works by important peoples are constantly being suppressed by governments while we cry and moan over petty arguments.

One day I hope we wake up together as humans looking out for humans and proceed directly towards putting others before ourselves, throwing organized ideology out the window.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

A- Only because if you know enough about the lifeforms on earth and the fossil record you can trace a fairly direct line from us back to the primates back to the early mammals back to the amphibians that first came on land back to the fish in the ocean back to the simpler lifeforms that first formed billions of years ago. You can clearly see certain specific traits passed on up the chain of life. traits that did not exist in earlier lifeforms. It's fairly obvious really.

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

A- the motto of ATS is Deny ignorance isn't it

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

A- Instead of faith, try scientific method, things that are tested and proved. Time and chance both exist. what you don't believe in time? then throw out your watch. what you don't believe in chance? Ever heard of the lottery?

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

A- this is false. Atheism is NOT a religion. that's like saying up is down.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

A-People need to use references, quote sources. That's how we do things here. What it's better to quote the bible? a book written by people who didn't know a fraction of the vast scientific knowledge of modern times.

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

A- If someone comes up to me and gives me the stink eye because I'm not a christian, I don't go to church, I don't read the bible etc then yes I will tell them that they are fools and give them my carefully researched point of view.

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

A- hey the Bible is your theory and to disprove your theory, we need to cite the source material. It's just shameful to take a work of mythology as 100% historical fact. Most of it was written hundreds of years after the time of 'Jesus' anyway.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

A- I can open any science text book and do any of the science experiments and get the same outcomes. I can prove that the book is telling the truth by my own testing. Science is based on reproducing the result to prove or disprove the theory. What I can't do is open the bible and try to reproduce any of the many mystical magical totally unbelievable fictional events found therein.

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

A- Yeah I get mad when someone tells me to go to hell. Don't you?

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

A- well lets take a look at world belief systems for a moment

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion 2. Islam: 1.5 billion 3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion 4. Hinduism: 900 million 5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million 6. Buddhism: 376 million 7. primal-indigenous: 300 million 8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million 9. Sikhism: 23 million 10. Juche: 19 million 11. Spiritism: 15 million 12. Judaism: 14 million 13. Baha'i: 7 million 14. Jainism: 4.2 million 15. Shinto: 4 million 16. Cao Dai: 4 million 17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million 18. Tenrikyo: 2 million 19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million 20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand 21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand 22. Scientology: 500 thousand

theres 2.1 billion of you, 1.1 billion of others like me and at least 3 billion other people that believe in something completely different. If all it takes is numbers to be right then your christian belief is outweighed by the many other belief systems of the world.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Does this mean I can post threads about how moronic christianity is now? Just wondering, because if so I'll start right on that.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
This is really sad. Atheists don’t know anything. People who are religious do not know anything. There are so many arguments on both sides, to think one side is right, without us truly knowing what this universe really is....is just ignorance at its best.

Amen

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I know the OP believes the response to the christian thread is clever, but the lack of intellectual depth is astonishing. While it may seem tempting to take the bait, any intelligent responses will hardly be engaged with worthwhile discourse.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by guyopitz

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist. A- hey the Bible is your theory and to disprove your theory, we need to cite the source material. It's just shameful to take a work of mythology as 100% historical fact. Most of it was written hundreds of years after the time of 'Jesus' anyway.

You are wrong, most of the New Testament was written before 70 AD. Almost the entire gospels can be constructed from "IRENAEUS AGAINST HERESIES" which dates from 185 AD. Bishop Irenaeus also mentions by name the Gospels of Luke, Matthew, Mark, and John. Quotes from the Gospels also appear in the writings of Justin Martyr which date from 110 AD. It was not hundreds of years as you stated.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

Actually, it's because we are not under the Mosaic Law.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the interesting post and discussion.

I am an atheist and tend to believe in nothing, I do however base my thoughts on facts.

I could care less what anyone else believes in as long as it doesn't negatively affect people or the world. People think that atheists just hate God, untrue to say the least for there is no one to hate.

If religion makes someone happy, so be it, who am I to tell someone to stop being happy. Unfortunately that is not what religion does, the strive to make their fellow men fear this vengeful God that might send you to hell, where you'll be tortured for eternity, for committing a sin, that God himself has committed so many times in the bible.

I, personally, do not dislike the idea of a God as much as I do the idea of Religion. Religious leaders are the true 'fear-monger's', and if they could some how practice some of the love they supposedly teach, rather than raping nun's and little boys maybe the world would be a better place.

And yes when you read books you usually do quote or understand them, especially Dawkins or Hitchens. They are both very intelligent men who have worked with religious people before and will continue to do so. I do not get this point though, as the book I hear the most quoted is the bible, and in all reality it is a collection of stories from other past civilizations. They edit out the names and add their own and try to pull it off as they are amazing and it is the word of their lord.

Just kind of funny to me. I choose to think about life the way I want, I do not want anyone, including Dawkins or 'God', to tell me how to live.

If religion could just get their greedy hands off of society and stop judging everyone they see, all while breaking all their 'commandments' maybe, just maybe, we could have a religious society...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

You mean like math, physics, chemistry, etc? How do you believe in something that works? You are using a computer. You don't "believe" in computer. It's right there working.

Yeah, like nuclear weapons?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think maybe some are maybe bored and unhappy with their lives so they make pointless threads that contribute zero.

maybe I am too, in answering in this post.

Lets go out and change the world, start a religion maybe. Music can influence people , lets write a hit tune.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Horus12]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Certainly there is plenty of ignorance to go around.
Many atheists imagine that all Christians have this limited worldview...that they believe every thing in the bible while scoffing at legitimate science. Some are that inflexible, most aren't.
Many Christians imagine that atheists will suddenly believe in God when confronted with death, when they become aware of their own mortality. Some will, most won't.
Since I believe in God, I will post this for the atheists. This is one way that some of us use science to learn more about biblical history, Jesus, and ultimately, how we arrived where we are today.
www.bib-arch.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Athiest are nothing more then people who have a dim view of the world who lack in perception to notice these so called 'coincidences' or 'luck' and cant see it as the origins of a higher power; I used to be like that but then ive experienced things that you cant ignore and dismiss as chance the way things unfold and turnout in such a way must be the works of what we call god.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join